Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2010 :  18:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think was of them was down to a freak accident with sticky tape.

Apologies if I'm wrong.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2010 :  22:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah your right SB, i think it was a little amel that had a freak accident,
hope you can get some answers soon Brookie

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  09:45:57  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is gonna sound a little morbid Brookie so I apologise in advance. Can you post a list of your losses so far and the dates they died. If you can list what happened if it is already known as well then that would help eliminate ones like the sticky tape victim.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  09:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brookestar, I have been away and am not able to get on here as often as I want to....so I have only just discovered your loss.

It is shocking news, especially following so soon after your other losses. Please DONT doubt yourself...those who know you know that you are doing everything you can for your animals.

It is certainly a good idea to try to work out what each death is being caused by (ignoring the accidental death, of course)...as if there is a problem that may be being harboured within your other reps then you need to get it treated as soon as possible to avoid more deaths.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss...yet again...just PLEASE dont give up, the reps you have rely on you.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  17:59:48  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
rough dates here

gecko - july - impaction
patternless - november - was very small and seriously underweight when i got him, found it with its mouth latched onto side
amel - december - just been delivered from down south and was put down to stress
gecko - december - was ill (wasn't eating properly) when i "rescued" it from pet shop
amel - january - taped <<< this one was totally my own fault
butter - february - hadnt eaten and was put down to him cooling himself for breeding but then died and was then told it may of been a stomach infection
amel - no idea on this one
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  18:42:05  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry for your loss..
Can't imagine what it feels like.. :(
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  01:09:11  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

ohhh! cryptosporidium could affect both species and result in death

faecal analysis (poo sample) performed by your vet/vet's lab should tell you...........

Only just thought about this thread.
Did you get anything done?
Can't cryptosporidium be transfered into humans as well as most other animals?
Normally it's associated with diarrhea as well isn't it?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  04:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Can't cryptosporidium be transfered into humans as well as most other animals?
Normally it's associated with diarrhea as well isn't it?

By the looks of it there are a number of different types of crypto:

This is from a site about crypto in people - Cryptosporidium is a protozoan parasite (a tiny organism) that causes an infection called cryptosporidiosis affecting people and cattle. The most common symptom is watery diarrhoea, which can range from mild to severe.
Cryptosporidiosis is most common in children aged between 1 and 5 years, but it can affect anyone. People with weak immune systems are likely to be most seriously affected.
There is no specific treatment for cryptosporidiosis. Most people with a healthy immune system will recover within one month. It is important to drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.

But another site states that - The life cycle of Cryptosporidium serpentis is thought to be similar to that of Cryptosporidium parvum,muris, and other species in mammals. Currently, there is no evidence that Cryptosporidium serpentis is transmissible to humans or other mammals. (http://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/1996/summer/snakes.shtml)

What is the situation now Brookestar? How are you? Did you get a sample checked for crypto?

xxx
xxx

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  15:35:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't see an answerr so will post this, crypto is highly highly contageous, it can be transfered by touch alone. As far as I know, there is no known cure. A very simple and easy way to minimise cross contamination is to use alcohol gel or equivalent, after each and every handling. I don't know the symptoms, but rapid weight loss is one, so if this should occur, immeadiate quarantine, ideally having the animal destroyed humanely. This illness is incredibly destructive and virulent, unless every precaution is taken, its quite capable of wiping out a collection.
If you still can, have the body sent away for analysis.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000