Did They Mate?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2010 :  15:29:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a male and female corn who have lived very happily together for a year with no problems at all.

The other week I noticed they were both under a hide while their tails were both under a different hide and I was watching her breathing and it was irregular (every so often Her tail expanded). I didn't know if they were breeding and didn't want to disturb them if they were.

He has just ate after 5 weeks of not eating and She just ate after 1 week of not eating.

I cannot see that they are ready to shed as its not been long since they shed last.

However, I don't know weather its me or not but im sure She's got slightly fatter.

I got Him 12months ago and Her about 3years ago, He has bred once before by the previous owner but ive had her from a few months old so she has not bred yet.

Do you think She is gravid or not?

I am now keeping an eye on her weight.

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2010 :  15:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it sounds like they possibly have..and if she is gravid then you should separate them - you dont want her to become even more stressed having a male around..

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2010 :  16:20:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you want to breed them? Just cos they have possibly locked doesn't mean she is gravid, It can take a few gos! If you do want them to breed then best separate for a few days then re introduce, and so on.
She might be swelled slightly due to ovulation, or it might just be imagination being hopeful!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2010 :  16:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I got the Male I introduced Him to the Female a few times and He kept chasing Her round the viv but She wouldn't do anything and kept running away.

In the end I gave up and left them together and they both settled down realy well and seem happy together.

I have always wished for them to breed but if they dont then thats fine.

The reason im asking is so I can get prepaired and get my incubator and everything ready.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2010 :  16:54:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well as long as its planned its all good! Separate the male for a few days then re introduce, now he knows what he's doing he's probably gonna turn into a horny teenager, so keep separating so he doesn't hound the hell out of her. Once you are certain she's gravid, ie you can see eggs, noticeable swelling, separate until you want to breed again, that's a must.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000