Heating and lighting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2010 :  12:18:29  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Hi everyone
dunno if its just me but I noticing more and more questions about the above from new keepers. So i thought (if you have the time that is) to post on this threat how you set up your heating and lighting so that they can have a read and get some ideas from us before making their own minds up.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2010 :  13:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good plan, most of my set ups are racks, so I use 350w heat cable on a dimmer stat, the stat probe is taped to the heat cable, and tub temps are measured with digital thermometers. The second rack is pretty much the same, just with heatmats. The 3rd rack, has individual mats, run off the same stat, all mats the same size, with stat probe taped to middle heatmat and digital thermometers.
The top viv is heatmat only on a mat stat, the middle viv is statted mat and standalone light. The bottom viv is bulb only, on a dimmer but not a stat. The other vivs are on twin stats.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2010 :  13:09:18  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use heatmats with all my fauns, all statted with a mat stat and monitored with digi thermometers.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2010 :  13:13:23  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I got two vivs both are set up essentially the same

mat covers one half to one third of the overall floorspace of the viv. In the smaller viv (24") the mat covers half of the floorspace in the other viv (36") it covers a third. The stats are both on/off stats and on both the thermometer probe is attached to the stat probe with rubber bands which is then in direct contact with the heat mat. Both Heatmats have little or no substrate on them. Like this I can maintain almost exactly the same temp on both vivs (28.5c)fairly constantly (within +-1c) Lighting is standard bulb holders with energy saving bulbs which are used during the day and for viv inspection etc.

edit:sp

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 16/02/2010 13:28:09
Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2010 :  17:02:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must be one of the few who uses lighting. All of mine (2 Corns and 2 Kings) have Exo Terra Halogen daylight lamps with dimmer stats for day time heat. These run for 12 hours, and at night I use Exo Terra moonlight lamps (also on dimmer stats) to keep temps around 75ish. I also use lucky reptile moonlights for night time viewing.

I realise this is a somewhat different and also expensive way to run Viv's but there's a reason for my madness. My room is a converted attic and it can get very cold up here at night as it's not connected to the houses central heating. When I got my first snake it took me 13 weeks to get him eating, and I'm certain that inadequate heating was the main reason for this.

I must also say that this particular way of doing things works with all my snakes. They are all feeding and shedding well (apart from my Mex Milk who's got that loving feeling lol). They are all very settled and active, and in perfect health.

1.0.0 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2010 :  19:24:30  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have a 24"x15" wooden viv. I use a 11"x11" heatmat in it which covers just under half of the floor space. I have a digital thermometer probe and habistat matstat probe elastic banded together and attached to the top of the heatmat with a tiny dob of sealant. There is a covering of aspen over the heatmat, just enough so you can't see it but no deeper than the width of the probes. The cables for the heatmat, thermometer probe and stat probe are intertwined and fed through a hole in the back of the viv which is filled with sealant to block any gaps. I have my stat set to 28degrees which seems to keep temperatures in the warm side between 28 and 29 degrees.

I haven't got a light in the viv. It is lighted during the day from normal daylight and overhead room lights. I turn my overhead room lights off around 8.30pm which is when Alice usually becomes active altho he will regularly be seen popping his head out of his hide at all hours of the day to see what is going on. I have considered getting a couple of stick on LED lights for occasional use mainly to avoid shadows and make spot checks easier.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2010 :  19:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No lighting.

Each viv has a heat mat relative in size to the size of the viv (eg: 17x11 inch mat in a 36 inch viv) attached to on/off stats (3x habistats, 1 microclimate 100), running at 27-29c, digital thermometers at each end.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2010 :  15:50:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One on a heat mat covering 1/3 viv on a Microclimate mat stat 100.

One on a inrfa red bulb (75w) held by ceramic bulb holder and bulb guard statted with a Habitat dimming stat.

Both are monitored by a hot spot digital thermometer and a cool spot digital thermometer.

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2010 :  15:55:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by headlow

I must be one of the few who uses lighting. ....... My room is a converted attic and it can get very cold up here

Me too!

For the same reason: old house was quite cold and although more expensive its worth it. Only other way round it was to buy another heat mat and stat for cold spot and run it around 22-24*C but that'll be more than bulb. Also find she is way more active now.

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000