Annoyed at myself!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  23:48:51  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok so I have had to give up smoking. My partner gave up with me but has found it very hard. While I was out today he went and got some ciggies! Well I have ended up having one. Im really annoyed at myself now as I had nearly made it a week!!

Anyone got any quit tips??

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  23:56:33  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Get someone to touch the filter end of 3 cigarettes to their bum, then put them back in the packet.

You'd think twice about putting one in your mouth then.

Either that or kick the OH for buying them in the first place, it's fairly simple isn't it? Either he does or doesn't give up.
I personally don't believe in 'cutting down' before giving up, loads of people I know that have given up say that they found it easier to just stop instead of cutting down.

Then again, I still do and have never tried to quit.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 12/02/2010 00:00:42
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  04:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am not surprised your are seriously ****** off (my own swear filtering!!) with your OH!!

Be proud of yourself that you had nearly made it a week and that has proved that you can do it....but your OH is totally out of order and it is just going to make it so much harder trying to quit if he keeps on smoking. I tend to agree with Kehhlyr that just cutting down doesn't work as well as going 'cold turkey', cos it is too easy to 'just have one more'....but then who am I to talk as I have never even had a puff on a cigarette (but I do know a number of friends who have quit, keep trying to quit or just dont care about quitting!!)

Sorry I cant help with any tips, but just focus on why you are doing it...it has got to be better for your health (and your wallet!!) and I know how important getting your health on track is for you. Point this out to your OH and MAKE him understand that you need to do this together.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  07:55:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
get those candy cigs!
although i went cold turkey last new year and made it ok - i just saved up the money i would have spent on fags (which wasnt a great deal anyway) and splashed out on myself when i made it to 6months

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  10:03:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh poor you!!

Firstly, I would beat your OH to within an inch of his life, what his did was completely unfair!!

I went cold turkey back in june and managed to last a good few months, but then started again when work got stressful, and haven't stopped since.

I try (as much as possible) to avoid situations when I would normally smoke- I smoke when I'm driving so I don't make unnecessary trips out in the car. Make it a rule that you can't smoke in your house, so you have to go outside when it is cold.

Set yourself personal goals, not big ones mind- 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year (!!) without a fag. You will feel a much bigger sense of achievement if you are doing things to prove to yourself you can do it.

And if OH buys more fags, run 'em under the tap

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  10:26:19  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I can understand it is hard for my OH to give up, and he has not smoked around me, Its just the fact the ciggs are there now!! He knows Im fuming with him, and if he wants to smoke when im not out he can go outside!
I think its hard for us as there was no preparation to give up it was an all of a sudden and neither of us were ready and its making it that much harder!!
Im already puttint the money I have saved into a jar, got one of those qit kits and a bag of lollies!!!
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  11:16:52  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I quit two years ago. I had been planning on doing it for a while but never really 'got round to it'. Then I saw a dog I really wanted advertised in the local RSPCA centre. I knew if I wanted the dog I couldn't afford to smoke as well as he was a large breed and would cost a fortune to feed. Unfortunately the dog didn't work out and heartbreakingly I had to return him 3 months later but I was determined not to restart smoking. I still have odd cravings especially when really upset or stressed but I have learnt diversion techniques to use to get through it.

If I was you I would tell hubby not to smoke in the house at all even if you are not there as you will still be able to smell it. And although you understand that he still wants to smoke, you don't want him to bring ciggies into the house until you feel stronger.

Don't beat yourself up too much about having a cig. It is just a blip. You have managed to stop once and can do it again. It will get easier. The hardest thing I found was when going to friends houses who smoked as it was a bit of a routine to while away a couple of hours drinking coffee and smoking. I found I was making excuses to go to my friends house so i could nick one of her fags. In the end I had to avoid going to friends houses and got them to come to me instead - minus any cigarettes lol.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  16:24:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Kdlang - one ciggie under the circumstances outlined is a blip, NOT a failure. Please don't give up. If you set out on a long car journey to somewhere you really wanted to visit and you took a wrong turning, you wouldn't immediately give up and go home, you'd just change direction again and get back on track.

Overcoming any addiction is a mental battle as well as a physical one. I would really encourage you not to listen to the voice that says words such as 'failed' but instead tell yourself what you've achieved already. You've made that really hard decision to give up, you've done seven days with no cigarette, you've had one but not a whole packet. If you can do seven days then you can do eight days next, then nine, then ten etc.

I've never smoked but I have an addiction to overeating (unfortunately you can't go cold turkey on that one as it's bad for the health!!). My biggest problem was always doing several weeks of really strict healthy eating then having one chocolate. Despite it being allowed on the plan I am on (which is not at all restrictive), I would then say 'I've failed' and go on a two week binge instead, throwing away all my hard work. This time I'm relaxing more with myself, never saying 'fail' and like SB, I set small goals to encourage me along weekly and monthly.

I wish you all the best, what you are doing really is SOOOO worthwhile and if you can keep strong it will really help your partner to quit in the end too. Also, you could buy another snake setup with all the cash you save.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  18:26:08  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just think to yourself all the cash you save not buying ciggies can buy you a new snake ;)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  19:10:30  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Can safey say the money wont be going on a snake! I was planning on a royal this summer but those plans havde gone out the window!

Thanks for the replys guys you have really helped. I did feel like I had failed yesterday, but today I feel quite good! So here is hoping it was just a blip!!
Go to Top of Page

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  19:11:42  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im in no sort of position to give advice on giving up smoking becasue i will be a big hipacrit but i wish you the best of luck :)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  21:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sammysnake has put it beautifully....wish I had her way with words. I am so glad you are feeling more positive about it, because you should feel positive! You did great staying clear of cigs for the time you did and you then only had one when you could so easily have carried on smoking - that showed real self-control Paula...be proud of yourself!

You can do this and we are all supporting you...so warn your OH that he has us to deal with if he doesn't keep to the rules YOU set down. Show him you mean business and how important this is to you.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  22:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I smoked for a long time. The trick is allow yourself to make that mistake and don't give up. Tomorrow is another day. Just because you had a ciggie today doesn't mean you have to have one tomorrow. It is not an easy quit. When you want one go for a walk where they arent' easily available. Get some fresh air and drink fresh water. Stay away from the coffee since ciggies and coffee go hand in hand. I quit three times before I finally succeeded and that was twelve years ago since the last one. I still want one when I smell a fresh one lit up. The stale stuff reminds me of why I quit so they sort of balance out.[quote]Originally posted by devilsmistress

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2010 :  19:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Sammysnake has put it beautifully....wish I had her way with words.

Aww, thanks Judith... but you already know I think you're the true wordsmith on here - the encourager and the peacemaker.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2010 :  19:57:08  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well im going to ask on friday about quiting medicans which are safe for me, hopefully to help me along the way a little better, as im doing really bad! I keep having "just one more"!!
It annoyes me everytime I do it but yet im still doing it, Damn I have no will power!
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2010 :  21:35:57  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by devilsmistress

.......I have no will power!

Who is the Will Power bloke I keep hearing about? Every single advert for stop-smoking aids always says at the bottom that Will Power is required.
That bloke Will must be very busy if loads of people need him.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000