Introductions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  20:05:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I'm new to this.. I got my first snake yesterday after years of harranging my husband, and he's finally caved. So thought it would be best to sign up to a forum so you lovely guys can help me out if I need it....

So Hello all

Oh and I believe my snake(Currently called Trevor) is a male and is a Red Albino/Sunburst phase, based on the info that I've been reading.

Pet's
Corn: Trevor Wotsit Age: 4
Cat 1: Butch Age: 10
Cat 2: Weebl Age: Approx 5
Kid 1: Jack Age: 15
Kid 2: Ollie Age: 5
Kid 3: Eve Age 4
Husband: Pete Age: Old

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  20:20:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome!
Trevor is lovely! (if a little shy)
:)
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  20:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heya and welcome!!

Hard to tell what Trevor is from that pic, but he looks very pretty.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  20:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  21:11:49  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
HI and welcome. Trevor looks lovely, How old is he? Can't wait to see more photos of his bright colours once he has settled in :)

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  21:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello MaryJayne and Trevor (And Hubby!!)
:)
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  21:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just took this, it's much better pic

and thank you for all the hello's, it's great to be made to feel welcome

Pet's
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  22:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's very nice!!

You maybe haven't heard about the 1 week rule- we normally recommend that any new snake is giving a week to settle in with no handling, no food (regardless of when he needs fed) and no stress, just a water change every day.

If you didn't know about this then it really worth doing, leads to a very settled snake.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  22:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I think it's safe to say nope, I didn't know about that rule...
Why no feeding though? I mean I'll take your word for it, but I just would of thought that would of made him a little two hungry and maybe even a little Aggresive.

Not that I can see him being agressive in anyway, I adopted him off of my friend (who's rehoming due to their extending family) and I have it on good authority that he has never bitten anyone in his 4 years.

On another note, what tempreture should I try and keep the vivarium at. I've been aiming for between 24 and 28 C.

Pet's
Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  22:31:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum! Looks like Trevor has a lovely setup :) I'm sure you'll find loadsa great info on here regarding anything you need to know - I know I have, and everyone is sooo friendly too :)

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  02:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Jenny (and Trevor - if his names stays that!)! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know...but it is better heard twice than not at all.

The forum provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133 (you should find the info you need on temps there).

I totally agree with SexyBear about The one-week rule...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow Trevor to get over the stress of the move and for him to get used to the new smells and his new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so he can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops (and, of course, you friend probably didnt know) but it is an important way of getting Trevor to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

Unfortunately, many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I suggest you double check anything you have been told with us on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

When you got Trevor from your friend I hope you got as much info about him as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Congratulations on complying with the unwritten forum rule before you even knew about it - pics as soon as possible!

I am so glad you were able to help your friend out and in the process you have gained a beautiful snake. But a warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is **** and I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  07:49:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
Trevor looks lovely!
with the no feeding rule it just avoids any issues that might occur with regards to an incorrect set up ect,but it wont make a snake aggressive or anything - snakes can go for months without feeding so one missed feed wont be an issue for him
temps should be around 27-29' in the warm end and around 22-24 in the cool end - although room temp will be ok what is being used to heat the viv - a heat mat with a stat is the best thing for corns

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  13:02:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the info.
The history that I've got so far is that his sheds have always been complete, and he's never bitten, however, when it comes to feeding, I don't think he had anyset feeding plans and was fed when he appeared to be hungry... I must admit I did feed him a small fluff on his first night, I suppose I was in the belief that he would feel comfortable with me if I was feeding him too, and as he took it out my hand, it did kind of make me even more enthused at that idea. Guess I still have a lot to learn. Is it too late to implement the one week rule? he's still in the same Viv with pretty much the same set up, it's just the location of the Viv, (they had it in a back bedroom and I have the Viv in the living room) and of course the different smells.
As for heating, I have a thermostate controlled Heater and a thermometer that has a sensor that feeds in through the back.

Pet's
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  13:04:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and he is now officially called Trevor Wotsit.

Pet's
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  13:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can still do the one week rule, just start from today.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  14:24:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2010 :  21:20:48  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
a little late but heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2010 :  21:48:39  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maryjayne

I just took this, it's much better pic

hi and welcome to the forum,i think your right that is a better pic,very nice................snake

Edited by - lee2308 on 17/02/2010 22:01:33
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  02:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

hi and welcome to the forum,i think your right that is a better pic,very nice................snake

So glad you said the right word there Lee....I am so impressed you controlled yourself !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  10:04:41  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000