Heating the viv
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  11:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everybody I am also new to keeping snakes, always loved them and as my 5 year old son was also interested I decided corn snakes to be best option but with all the different morph's choosing a nice one wasn't a problem, the problem is heating the viv im confused I've done alot of reading before buying our first and most say heat mats under base of viv or in viv under aspen but some reptile shop keepers and snake owners say NO the heat goes at the back of the viv stuck to the back, please help which is right or best !!
We have hatchling at mo so want to get his viv just right for when he moves in.

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  11:49:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there, When i first got my snakes the pet shop said to put the heat mat at the back of the viv so thats what i did at first. as snakes take the heat from their belly The heat mat should go under the base of the viv remember only cover half the viv with the heat mat so that the snake has a cool end and a hot end and also use a thermostat to control the temperature and have a hide at both ends

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  12:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly, welcome to the forum! This is a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship .

To answer your question about the best way to heat the viv try looking at http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

It is great news that you are getting your corn's home set up and running smoothly before you get it...too many people go out and buy their corn and viv at the same time, then get home and dont have a clue what to do with it all! As you have a hatchling I am assuming it will go into a faun or RUB (really useful box), in which case the heatmat should be under the faun, not in it. It should cover at least one-third of the area and must be controlled by a thermostat. It is also vital that you have a digital thermometer in the faun so that you can double check the heat in there as thermostats are notoriously unreliable and the last thing you want is to have your mat get too hot and burn your snake. You are looking for a warm end of approx 27-30oC and a cool end of around 22-24oC (I think...my memory for figures is lousy but I am sure that you will find the correct temps in the links I have given you). If you look at this topic it may give you an idea as to what you need to do to get the set-up right: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8165

KittyCat is right that the heatmat must not be stuck onto the back of the viv. This is useless as a heat source to the snake as it retains its heat from the surface it is on (ie the substrate) so therefore it is that that you need to heat.

Once your hatchling has grown you will move up in accommodation for it to a wooden viv and it is then that you will move the heatmat inside the viv, lightly covered with the substrate.

Unfortunately, as you have found, many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I suggest you double check anything you have been told with us on here. I am so glad that you care enough about your snake to have found us and to be asking questions straight away. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer, if not then dont hesitate to ask!

Have you been told The one-week rule...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your corn to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, which means it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

When you got your snake I hope you got as much info about it as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Sorry, I know I have gone slightly off topic here...I have given you my usual welcome speech !! But I felt it necessary for you to know the information now.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 08/02/2010 12:12:56
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  12:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mat on the floor, covering 1/3 to 1/2 of the viv, regulated by a thermostat (these are essential) and monitored by digital thermometers.
Kellog is right, pet shops can be utterly cr@p at giving you the correct info.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  13:16:41  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey welome to the forum,

I think you have all the info you need, like Kellog said most pet shops havn't got a clue, bit of a shame really.

I recently had a bit of an argument with a local pet shop, i heard they sold pinkies and i needed a few larger ones for reggie, when i went down and told him i needed 6 fairly large pinkies around 3grams each. He then got me 6 small 1 gram pinkies and told me he dosnt order tham by weight because a pinky is a pinky.
I was quite suprised as he said he had a breeding pair of corn snakes as pets, they were in the pet shop and when i looked they were in a 24 x 12 tank. I told him that before keeping and selling pets he should have atleast done a little reading up on them, for the 2 to live together they needed atleast a 48 inch tank and then upon looking in the tank seen a mouse just lying on the substrate

The corn snakes looked healthy suprisingly, he also has had a snow corn which he called a popcorn corn snake which was around 3 foot long, in a tank which was cramped with small hatchling tubs.

And 2 royals in a small glass tank. The tank was around 2 foot long and in it where a large male and a smaller female.

The worst thing was that he was so stubborn, had it not been for my mum being with me id of probably punched him...

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  13:22:57  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'd report him having seen that to be honest

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  14:28:34  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
DB sounds like the pet shop owner was more interested in pound signs than the health and welfare of the snakes. It is people like these who tend to give all rep shop who do look after there snakes properly a bad name

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  19:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone, great advice. I do have a hatchling already with proper housing and heating and he does seem very happy and eats well. Speak soon guys.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000