hi guys and gals!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  22:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey, i just got my first corn from my dad who is a breeder, he's a reverse oketee and he is absolutely beautiful. just wondered what all you guys got and if you have any tips, specifically with size and wieght as he is much smaller than his sister who hatched the same day, both eat the same and at the same time and live in the same viv. just a bit worried as he is quite a bit smaller.

cheers guys!

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  22:27:19  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum. In reply to your question all snakes grow at different sizes and so the weight will be different. I wouldnt worry to much about this as long as you are feeding your snakes at regular intervels. Am sure some one of more experiance will be able to give you further information about this. I have a male amel corn.

Edited by - newsnakekeeper on 07/02/2010 22:28:41
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  22:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
beautiful! when i figure out how to upload pics ill post one of my boy. they truly are amazing. how old is yours?

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  22:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome to the forum, you say both snakes live in the same viv, this is generally a much debated topic so have a looksy through this thread.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  22:44:39  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BunnyLove

beautiful! when i figure out how to upload pics ill post one of my boy. they truly are amazing. how old is yours?

my amel is 6 and half months old

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  22:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice, about the same as mine then.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  22:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also, yeah, i know the risks of housing them together but so far they are fine and its only temporary. but thankyou very much for the link anyway, its quite good to see other peoples opinions on the subject.

Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  23:56:07  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
could well be shall see how the colours turn out after another couple of sheds see if they get any brighter or not

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  00:54:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah definately!

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  02:37:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Bunny! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . Obviously, having a dad who is a breeder you must know a fair bit already, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know...but it is better heard twice than not at all.

It may be worthwhile checking this link out, even though you probably know it all already http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners - I know your dad isnt new to this but you are . Also this topic is a good place to look 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

As far as your corn being smaller than his sister but eating the same...they do grow at different rates so I dont think it is necessarily anything to worry about. Although I do wonder whether the fact that he is co-habiting with his sister may be causing his weight loss if he is stressed. I know you say they are fine at the moment but unfortunately that can change in an instance and you may not be there to stop it. I am so glad it is only temporary, the sooner they are separated the better. I am sorry if this comes over as harsh, but it is purely because of concern for your snake. I have no experience of co-habiting myself but have researched enough on here and elsewhere to know the dangers, especially with younger snakes. I have seen, too often, that by the time you realise there is a problem it is too late .

Having your dad you probably never venture into pet shops....but if you do, unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I suggest you double check anything you have been told with us on here (or your dad, of course ). Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer, if not then dont hesitate to ask!

I know your dad was the breeder so you probably know all the history of your snake. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is **** and I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!! (and with a dad who is a breeder that is probably lethal !!)

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  11:44:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers dude, yeah, i keep a diary of my snake also just so i can keep track of how he is feeding and such. and yeah as i say they are literally in there untill i can afford a new viv in a months time. thanks for all the advice, having a dad who is a breeder is quite handy but its always helpful to chat to others and find out what works for them and stuff and share there experiance. cheers homie!

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  13:04:48  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey welcome to the forum...

I have a Ghost and a Bloodred. Both 09 Born but im not completely sure on age, other than casper is younger.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 08/02/2010 13:05:11
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  16:06:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and Welcome
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  17:37:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

also, yeah, i know the risks of housing them together but so far they are fine and its only temporary. but thankyou very much for the link anyway, its quite good to see other peoples opinions on the subject.

You'd better hope the big sister doesn't eat the little brother then if she is so much bigger.

Might also be worth bearing in mind that he might be smaller as a result of stress from living with the bigger snake.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  21:32:25  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

split them up asap at that age..........a RUB from Staples shouldn't break the bank or if your dad's a breeder surely he'll have some spare equipment?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  22:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, im getting a new viv in like 3 weeks, and my dads using all his stuff at the moment for the one he's got at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  02:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sorry to keep going on about this Bunny, but you will be devastated if something happens to him and it really does sound as though he is already being affected by his environment.

If you cant get your viv for 3 weeks (how big will it be?), then do as GingerPony has suggested, just get a RUB (really useful box), put if partly on a heatmat (statted of course), with a digital thermometer in it, and the 2 hides etc....you know what is necessary.

Surely it is better to be safe than sorry??

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  20:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
already done it dude! gor a small loan and bought new setup. its quite nice he seems happy and is feeding ok so lets see how he gos now. xx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  22:15:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
glad you managed to separate them
look forwards to the piccies!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  22:55:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im terrible at loading pics so the only one i got is that one there. thats my reverse oketee eric.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  02:44:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

already done it dude! gor a small loan and bought new setup. its quite nice he seems happy and is feeding ok so lets see how he gos now. xx

That is fantastic news Bunny , I am so pleased to hear it! And he looks gorgeous...cant wait to see more pics.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000