having another go
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  17:46:24  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

I am going to have another go at feeding colin out of the viv tonight. He has always been a viv feeder and previous attempts to feed him out of the viv have not gone well. I usually put something under him when I feed him in his viv but last week after feeding I noticed a piece of aspen hanging out of the side of his mouth which I then had to wrestle off him no doubt stressing him and me so this week I going to have another go at feeding him out of the viv.
Will let you know the outcome but if any of you have any tips in the next hour or so let me know
cheers

steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  17:56:26  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How do you normly try to feed him when out of the viv?

You could maybe try putting him in a box of some sort with kitchen paper in and then just drop the mouse in. If this dosn't work you could maybe put his hide in the box, then put him in the box for a couple of minutes, then drop the mouse in.

Just trying to think up a few ideas as it could be because he dosn't like the open spaces when feeding outside the box. I have never had this problem but that is probably what i would try.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  18:02:01  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think its because believe it or not i was told to feed him in the viv and have done so until I joined here and learned its not the best way (this was confirmed by last weeks little incident) I have tried him on a towel mainly on the floor I going to try a box this week and see if that helps at least it may contain him a bit last time he just took one look at the mouse and was off. I put him back in the viv and he took it straight away. My other corn Xena feeds out of the viv no problem but then she has been fed that way since her first feed so she dont know better.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

meggi
Hatchling

United Kingdom
321 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  19:17:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi elament.

I do reccomend you tryng to feed him out the viv , but don`t worry to much about the aspen bedding he swallowed, as aspen beddding is desighned to evaporate in the sankes stomoch.

megxx
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  20:08:17  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by meggi

hi elament.

I do reccomend you tryng to feed him out the viv , but don`t worry to much about the aspen bedding he swallowed, as aspen beddding is desighned to evaporate in the sankes stomoch.

megxx

I don't think he swallowed it. But that is why he is now going to try feeding out the viv.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  20:11:13  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh well that didnt go too well. He was utterly bemused by being put in a box and totally ignored the prey. Put him back in his viv and he still ignoring it. However he has gone pale and last time he went into shed like that he refused as well. Have left it in the viv on his "dinner plate" and will let it stay there till morning but I am willing to bet its still there when I get up. Thing is I know he will be hungry after his shed so I will give the box another go after he sheds.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  21:28:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elament

Oh well that didnt go too well. He was utterly bemused by being put in a box and totally ignored the prey. Put him back in his viv and he still ignoring it. However he has gone pale and last time he went into shed like that he refused as well. Have left it in the viv on his "dinner plate" and will let it stay there till morning but I am willing to bet its still there when I get up. Thing is I know he will be hungry after his shed so I will give the box another go after he sheds.

How long did you leave him in the Feeding RUB for?
When I first fed Slinx I fed her in her feeding RUB and it took her nearly 25 mins to decide that she was going to eat!
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  21:49:19  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
how old/big is Colin?

none of mine are fed in a seperate tub with no troubles.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  22:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
some snakes just take a while to get used to feeding in another rub.. i have to put my king in a rub and then cover it up with a blanket and leave him for an hour or two when i feed him..he likes it dark and cramped lol..

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  22:48:53  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am going to try and feed shearer in a rub see if he takes the prey in there anyone got any ideas how i can put some holes in box and lid dont have no soildering iron and drill is no good to do that

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  00:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newsnakekeeper

I am going to try and feed shearer in a rub see if he takes the prey in there anyone got any ideas how i can put some holes in box and lid dont have no soildering iron and drill is no good to do that

Heat a metal kebab skewer or screwdriver on the gas hob. Be careful with anything hot!

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  04:36:41  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by meggi

hi elament.

megxx

Sorry, but that is not accurate. It stands a chance of getting digested, like most substrates but it also stands the same chance of just getting poo'd out, or causing a blockage.

As for feeding out of the viv, it is completely preference. I feed all of mine out of the viv, but only because I find it easier, others feed in the viv.

You'll slowly settle into something that feels most comfortable for you and your snake after you'll no doubt try several things. But feeding in the viv, sometimes does need a bit more monitoring.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  04:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry the feeding didnt go as well as you hoped, but if you think he is going into shed then you have a good reason for it...and it will mean he will be hungry when you next go to feed him.

What sort of box did you put him in and did you cover it and leave him for a while? It may be he is shy and being in the box may make him feel more exposed. It is certainly worthwhile trying again once he has shed. I know some snakes are fed successfully in their vivs, and Kellog was orignally fed that way. Because he went for so long before feeding with us we kept feeding him in the viv until we were happy that he was feeding regularly. Then we fed him outside the viv. We were very lucky with him, as we didnt think to feed him in a box but fed him on the floor on a towel....but it didnt phase him at all.

Just keep at it Steve, if you feel it is that important, he will get used to it...especially if he is hungry. Definitely try covering up the box to give him his privacy, just until he gets used to it.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  10:41:52  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the advice. I def think its coz he is in blue I have left the mouse in the viv all night and he has ignored it so I am pretty sure that is the problem as last time he was in blue he refused a feed. I will have another go when he has shed and refer to this thread for advice. I will crack him dont worry. He has fed outside the viv before once when I had him in one hand (about to put him back in on a paper towel) and the mouse in the other. Quick as a flash he struck across the open space and nabbed the mouse out of me hand so I know he isnt shy or anything I really think being in blue was the problem. Oh and eeji he is now 17 months old is about 33" long but I am afraid to say I dont know about weight as I havent got any scales yet
Thanks everyone

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  14:15:25  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Update-He is definately going through Preecdysis I havent seen anything of him in two days now so I will leave him alone at let him get on with it. I have rearranged his viv so he has more ground cover should he want to move from hide to hide he can do now without being seen too easy so I will just change his water and do spot checks untill he leaves me another skin. Jesus I only just been through this with Xena i think they are ganging up on me.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  16:54:12  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you really want to try to start feeding him in a tub then put the tub you want to feed him in inside his viv. He'll then get used to it being around, and being a part of his viv.
Although as people have said, it's not necessary to feed out of the viv, it's just a preference that a lot of people have.

I do it for several reasons, but one of them is so that I can take good piccys and I tend to broadcast my feeds by live stream over the internet as well.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  16:56:16  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
lol nice one the tub is too big to go in the viv nice idea tho

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  04:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

.........I do it for several reasons, but one of them is so that I can take good piccys .......

Definitely get better pics and chance to video feeds when feeding outside of viv, also easier to do ' mousie dance' I think to encourage coil and constrict if they are not already doing that. Know we wouldnt have got Kellog to do it if we had kept feeding him in the viv.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  08:14:56  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yep they both coiling and constricting kellog. I have rearranged colins viv so he now has even more ground cover and can quite literally go from hide to hide under cover. Have also done the old water bowl on the mat trick to raise humidity a bit so as soon as he has shed I will give it another bash

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000