New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jormungand
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  09:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My young corn snake has been in his hide all week and hasn't really moved. I noticed yesterday that he is about to shed but he seems to be taking a lot longer than normal. The last 2 sheds he did it really fast no problems. He's been really inactive and I was wondering if he maybe needs help or something. Is it normal for it to take a long time and for them to be very inactive? I just really want to know that something isn't wrong.

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  10:14:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not an expert but I remember once my Ruby went dull, sat in her hide for ages..I was starting to get worried it had been a few days by then. Day or two later she came out of her hide, not dull and just as active as normal but she hadn't shed, then a week later she went on and shed fine it was really odd but she was fine. So it might just be something like that, and taking his time but I'm not sure like I said I'm no expert hehe

Go to Top of Page

Rik
Hatchling

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  10:23:46  Show Profile  Click to see Rik's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My little fella goes blue but it has taken him nearly 3 days after his eyes go clear to finally shed. Dont forget once they turn blue they cant see! Hence they stay hidden away and chill out. Once that clears they will become more active and begin the shed.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  10:47:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am no expert Jormungand, so you really need to wait for those who know' to answer properly....but I think that things do tend to slow down at this time of year.

I know my adult corn seemed to go 'blue' twice and it took a couple of weeks for him to finally shed. Most of this time he was hiding and I dont feed my snakes when they are shedding, but I did know he was drinking and when I lifted hide he would respond by lifting head and tongue flicking, so all normal.

BUT, as I said, I am no expert so can only go by what I have experienced with my last shed, which happened over the Christmas period.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

jormungand
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  13:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. It's good to know that it's relatively normal for it to take a while. I think he's ok, I was just worried there might be something wrong. Hopefully he'll manage to shed just fine.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  16:45:21  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
some of mine can go over 2 weeks for the full shed cycle (ie from starting 'blue' to the skin coming off)

[off topic] jormungand, your siggy is stretching my screen, can you do us a favour and take out the [url] tags plz? [/off topic]

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  22:14:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
great minds think alike eeji! the sig is too wide for my screen and i was about to comment on the extra code likely to be the problem................ and just sit tight and wait for him to shed........

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  23:57:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes snakes do take a while! I think if skin is lft on then you need to bath a snake to help it off though, am I right?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  20:45:30  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
not neccessarily, if they shed and there's patches left on a damp hide(s) in the enclosure can often encourage the snake to rectify it itself without any further intervention like bathing

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000