question for mods
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  12:04:33  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address
ive only been back a while and read alot about post counting and how its not to be done. well ive noticed tht when people ask a question a lot of replies are a long the lines of "im sorry i cant help you" or "im new to snakes, someone else will help you" im wondering if this is post counting in your eyes and if it isnt then i still think it is inconsiderate and really not helpful in the slightest.

the one i just read was a pretty serious topic (not mentioning any specific details incase it causes problems) and the first reply was a long the lines "i cant help, but someone will" if i was the OP and i saw someone had replied to my post and i read that i would be pretty put off asking again. people already know that members here will answer questions and dont need to be told over and over again.

im sorry if im making a mountian out of a molehill here but it happened to me when i was in dire need of help and to be truthful it really wound me up, and i was a memeber for a while by this point so i honestly dont know how a newbie would feel.

feel free to email me if it will cause less problems

Brookestar

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  12:32:16  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
post counting. example above could be post counting. unless we can see it being used as free bump for an important topic.
or starting/creating spam topics.
if you have a topic that needs looking at email one of the mods and we will look at it http://www.thereptilian.co.uk/forum/showteam.php if it is realated to a specific site try to email a mod of that site.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  17:27:37  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i can see you point Brookie and i've wondered about it myself..............

the only benefit i can see with replying 'i can't help you but sit tight' is that the thread's OP knows they're not being ignored? although yes i agree in every other respect it's pretty pointless.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  18:37:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Brookestar

ive only been back a while and read alot about post counting and how its not to be done. well ive noticed tht when people ask a question a lot of replies are a long the lines of "im sorry i cant help you" or "im new to snakes, someone else will help you" im wondering if this is post counting in your eyes and if it isnt then i still think it is inconsiderate and really not helpful in the slightest.

the one i just read was a pretty serious topic (not mentioning any specific details incase it causes problems) and the first reply was a long the lines "i cant help, but someone will" if i was the OP and i saw someone had replied to my post and i read that i would be pretty put off asking again. people already know that members here will answer questions and dont need to be told over and over again.

im sorry if im making a mountian out of a molehill here but it happened to me when i was in dire need of help and to be truthful it really wound me up, and i was a memeber for a while by this point so i honestly dont know how a newbie would feel.

feel free to email me if it will cause less problems

Brookestar

If you are referring to this one

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8160

Then No- Clearly my posts didnt help and I cannot offer advice- However while reading through it I thought to my self...-... IF I HAD posted that and 3 hours later I hadnt had a reply I would have been frantic with worry and quite probably sick from stress (I am on some pretty powerful tablets) AND from being a new snake owner.

I Can See Your point of view Brookestar and I do understand that you do not see this as being helpful and infact view it as pointless However- FROM a new snake owners point of view- and from My point of view - AND this has happened to me- I have posted in the past and come back to the post 30 mins later and had 10-15 views but NO reply until someone DID post- and simply to say "I Cant help but someone Who Can should be along pretty shortly to..." and that on its own can start to calm you down- because at least someone who has read has replied- so you dont feel ignored.- Its nice to know that someone is willing to reply!

I Do Not and Will Not post for the sake of posting to "Get my score up"- I post when I have something to say.

If the general view of the Forum users comes back to the pointlessness of this then I am quite happy to stop.

xXxXxXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

286 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  18:41:14  Show Profile
what do you gain from a high post count? i don't understand why anyone would post a reply just to raise their number.

corns
0.1 Maizy, carolina 05
0.1 violet, anery 09
1.0 Smithy, amel 07
0.1 Nessa,amel 07
0.1 Lois normal/hypo motley 02
1.0 Dr Heinz Doofenshmirtz anery 00
1.0 Fry normal 08
0.1 Dora amel aztec 09
1.0 Red bloodred 08
0.0.1 Conker kastanie 10
house bunny
1.0 rex, 09
kittys
2.1 tom,jerry 09 Mittens 10
kids
3.1 Charlie-jane 98, ethan 99,coby 06,adam 07
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  19:00:02  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address
it means nothing. i have 2123 posts and still consider myself a newbie compared to a lot of people on here. its not tht people post to up the count thats the problem its just the total uselessness of it.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  19:22:44  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage
post counts mean nothing, and tbh i think they're a pointless feature of forums. TBH I don't think theres anyone on here who constantly posts inanepoopjust for the sake of posting - theres the odd post here and there but everyone is guilty of doing that.

Just lately I've seen a few people getting all worked up about 'post counting' which seems to have left a few sour feelings around the place, which i think is a real shame because this place is one of the friendliest forums around and this is the kind of rubbish thats not needed here.

If people enjoy a good bitching then go post on the Dark Side, thats what thats there for

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory

Edited by - sexychef on 03/02/2010 19:40:55
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  21:44:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Skorps
IF I HAD posted that and 3 hours later I hadnt had a reply I would have been frantic with worry...

that was what i was meaning with my earlier post hun

Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  22:12:58  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

post counts mean nothing, and tbh i think they're a pointless feature of forums. TBH I don't think theres anyone on here who constantly posts inanepoopjust for the sake of posting - theres the odd post here and there but everyone is guilty of doing that.

Just lately I've seen a few people getting all worked up about 'post counting' which seems to have left a few sour feelings around the place, which i think is a real shame because this place is one of the friendliest forums around and this is the kind of rubbish thats not needed here.

If people enjoy a good bitching then go post on the Dark Side, thats what thats there for

Completely agree with you Ian. I try to keep this place as relaxed and as friendly as possible, I'm sure all the mods do the same. I know there aren't many rules on here and I like to keep it that way, although every now and then you get a member who tries to bend them to breaking point. I know the sour taste you refer to and am disappointed it even got that far. You'll know yourself how hard it is to stop arguments breaking out on a forum, especially when it gets so big. I just hope this place stays as friendly as it always has been.

Maybe the post hierarchy system is something we need to lose from the forums for the better?

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  22:25:45  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Lewy
Maybe the post hierarchy system is something we need to lose from the forums for the better?

i can kinda see where you're coming from Lewy BUT..............

from a newbie's point of view, if they post a question and there's 2 conflicting replies are you more likely to listen to somebody that shows expeience or another newbie?

i'm not saying all noobs are new to keeping snakes or that all the members that post a lot really know what they're on about BUT it does act as a guide for the uninitiated, at least till they can find out more...............dunno, what do you think?

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  23:26:54  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by Lewy

i'm not saying all noobs are new to keeping snakes or that all the members that post a lot really know what they're on about BUT it does act as a guide for the uninitiated, at least till they can find out more...............dunno, what do you think?

GP does make a good point. It can come in handy for people who are new to the site.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  23:38:36  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
i agree it is nice to know that your post has been seen and not being ignored,if we done away with the post count we would still have the star rating as a guide.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  07:11:23  Show Profile
I do agree with Brookestar regarding some posts....but will say that the post Skorps made was a good post, one that was needed to reassure the OP and I think she did well to notice that it had been 3 hours and no proper answer had been given yet as no-one with the real experience had had the chance to read it yet.

I just wish that anyone who posts would think twice before they do it....are they doing it to give an answer to a question, to back up and add info to already supplied info or to give reassurance (as in Skorps case)...then that is good. But are they doing it just to repeat already given info, just to say something or just to up their post count so they can change from an egg to a hatchling etc...then dont do it.

PLEASE...just stop and think. This forum is for help, advice and support. It doesnt need cluttering up with anything else. I dont think there is much of that going on, but I do think it needs keeping an eye on and it is up to the posters themselves to regulate, it is not really down to the mods. The last thing wanted is the bad feeling that can be caused and the results that can come from it if action needs to be taken.

Just my opinion of course.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  07:14:56  Show Profile
quote:

i can kinda see where you're coming from Lewy BUT..............

from a newbie's point of view, if they post a question and there's 2 conflicting replies are you more likely to listen to somebody that shows expeience or another newbie?

If that's the case, then you must be aware the a moderator's star carries even more weight, on the assumption that a moderator would know more about snakes than regular forum members.

So from a newbie's point of view, if they post a question and there's 2 conflicting replies are you more likely to listen to somebody that posts with a mod star or another member?

I would therefore say that if the first concern here is to make sure that newbies don't get confused, I'd first of all take care to see that those with a mod star really are those who know best, then I'd probably ask the membership that if they are giving advice that is not based on their own knowledge but on what they have read here in the past, please state that. This way a newbie, or anyone else, can differentiate between replies that come from actual knowledge based on experience and/or education, and replies that only perpetuate what the person replying has read on the forum. The latter may contain errors that would be then perpetuated without the person making the reply knowing, having not seen/experienced it for himself.

Btw, I agree with Brookestar regarding pointless responses that just clog the forums. Sometimes it's really hard to get through a thread and find the actual data, having first to wade through "I don't know, but hey, good luck to you" or "I have no idea, but I hope someone here will tell you." I know for a fact people do post sometimes for the sake of the post-count. For instance, I was once in the group chat when someone said something along the lines of, "Oh, I'm really close to my next star!" and then a few moments later, "I went to the photos section and responded to some of the pictures there until I got my next star, I am now a (whatever it was) yay!"

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  10:59:21  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye

quote:

......i'm not saying all noobs are new to keeping snakes or that all the members that post a lot really know what they're on about BUT it does act as a guide for the uninitiated.............

If that's the case, then you must be aware the a moderator's star carries even more weight, on the assumption that a moderator would know more about snakes than regular forum members......

Surely that was covered in GP's response.

In regards useless posts, I think I probably have about 300 that are simply the words "OOOH, Wants!".
Sometimes posts like that can't be helped, and posts similar to 'I can't help but someone will be along shortly' are useful IMO because as said above it's a bit disheartening when you have a question and it has had 20 views but no responses.
I'm also not saying it's totally OK, otherwise we're just gonna end up with 3 million posts saying the same quote.

The things I regard as useless posts are the ones where people answer a question after it's already been answered about 5 times.

The same thing could be said about double posting, that irritates the hell out of me, people should just use the 'edit post' function.
We're all aware that sometimes you can't edit the first post so people have no choice but to double post but I've lost count of the amount of times the second post on a thread starts with them saying they can't edit the post.

This forum is provided by Lewy and Kaz with no adverts/popups or junk all at their own cost.
Surely you wouldn't visit someones house and pee on their living room carpet?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  11:06:30  Show Profile
I just hope this thread doesn't put people of posting now.

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  12:35:48  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
time to put it to sleep,every one's made their point

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000