Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  01:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay... So recently I got two corn snakes an amel named Jill and then a ... well the kind unable to produce a red pigment named Jack.

I recieved them from a friend of my mom's who is pregnant and cannot be around the snakes due to the possibility of the fetus contracting salminilla (sorry if that's spelled incorrectly).

I was told that they had both molted recently, but Jack has shown signs of shedding.
His eyes fogged over and had the bluish tint... He has wanted to be left alone and to stay in a dark place.

Yesterday his eyes cleared so that's good... Though he moves his head in a jerky twitchy motion.

Should I be incredibly worried or is this okay????
:/

Sara3502
Hatchling

111 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  01:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ur fine he is just getting ready to shed
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  10:25:17  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if they are a male and a female, then that is mating behaviour so if they are younger than 3, smaller than 3' or less than 300g then they need to be seperated asap, even though the deed may already be done.
if you have 2 males then its threatening behaviour and they need to be seperated asap.

....and Jack is an anerythristic (anery for short)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  11:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was just about to say same thing as Eeji and ask if they were in same viv....co-habiting??

If they are then it is really worrying, especially with Jack's behaviour.

It may be worthwhile reading this link so you can be informed of the different opinions on this and the dangers involved, especially when they are babies - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7508&SearchTerms=co-habiting

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 03/02/2010 11:02:22
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  16:50:58  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm second guessing they're cohabbing because this sort of behaviour isn't expected from a lone corn

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  17:39:54  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by erica jean

I recieved them from a friend of my mom's who is pregnant and cannot be around the snakes due to the possibility of the fetus contracting salminilla (sorry if that's spelled incorrectly).

i'm really sorry she's felt she had to give up her snakes and happy for you that you've taken them on but that reason is complete and utter rubbish!! (snake owner for 7+ years and current collection of 10+ snakes and 2 geckos and mother of 2 daughters!)

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 03/02/2010 17:41:25
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  17:56:32  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:

i'm really sorry she's felt she had to give up her snakes and happy for you that you've taken them on but that reason is complete and utter rubbish!! (snake owner for 7+ years and current collection of 10+ snakes and 2 geckos and mother of 2 daughters!)

Yep im with GP on that one it is complete bull.

Too be honest i thought the only way to contract salmonella was from raw or not thorougly cooked meats, not through living breathing animals.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  17:58:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snakes and other reps can carry it on their skin, but contracting it from them is very very very very very very unlikely.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

286 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  18:30:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very slim chance, you'd have to be pretty unhygienic to. its the same with the danger to mums to be and cat poo,very slim unless your going to eat it!

corns
0.1 Maizy, carolina 05
0.1 violet, anery 09
1.0 Smithy, amel 07
0.1 Nessa,amel 07
0.1 Lois normal/hypo motley 02
1.0 Dr Heinz Doofenshmirtz anery 00
1.0 Fry normal 08
0.1 Dora amel aztec 09
1.0 Red bloodred 08
0.0.1 Conker kastanie 10
house bunny
1.0 rex, 09
kittys
2.1 tom,jerry 09 Mittens 10
kids
3.1 Charlie-jane 98, ethan 99,coby 06,adam 07
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  21:13:40  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Snakes and other reps can carry it on their skin, but contracting it from them is very very very very very very unlikely.

Ohrite, I had heard the thing about the cat poo, i thought it was just my mum making an excuse to get us too clean it up

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  23:33:28  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Erica, welcome to the forum.
You might be interested in this

http://riobravoreptiles.com/care_fatalities.htm

Not sure how accurate the report was. But you probably have more chance of being knocked over bya bus, unless you're amucky bugger and don't wash your hands, lol.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  12:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well... I think it was mating before.... I believe I just woke up to the deed being done.
Yeah they are co-habiting.
Neither of them have been acting aggresive.

Hmmm... I guess Ash doesn't want to take that possibility of contracting it?
Either way I'm quite glad to have recieved them.

Thanks for welcoming me here (:

And thanks so much for the help!
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  13:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well... I think it was mating before.... I believe I just woke up to the deed being done.

I would still suggest that you separate them as soon as possible. You havent said how old they are. If the female is less than 3yrs old, 300g and 3ft long there could be serious health difficulties if she is pregnant.

I know you say that neither has been acting aggressive, but if you read the link suggested you will find that often you dont see the signs of stress until it is too late. It may look like they are cuddled up together being friendly, when actually they are both trying to get to the best place in the viv to lay on. PLEASE read the suggested link and definitely separate them now.

You will also need to research a lot into caring for a gravid female and what to expect when she lays...how to provide her with a laying box, supplying an incubator for the eggs, what to do when the eggs hatch etc. This is not an easy nor inexpensive process.

I am glad we have been of some help to you and please ask us for more help if you need it. That is what we are here for !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  13:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm... I guess Ash doesn't want to take that possibility of contracting it?
Either way I'm quite glad to have recieved them.

Thanks for welcoming me here (:

And thanks so much for the help!

In that case, split them up asap. No good comes from males and females living together permanently: indeed, it can cause the death of the females through many different factors.

You probably have eggs on the way too

Edit- Sorry Kellog for the repeat!!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Edited by - SexyBear77 on 04/02/2010 13:08:22
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  13:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OH! They are both over three feet.
And I don't feed them together.. Jill gets put in a seperate house to feed.
They coil together and like to be close to each other the majority of the time.
And if one is being held the other watches to see what they are doing. Both prefer to be out together.
YES! and it isn't mating. Jack is shedding.
Thank goodness.

My fears of them dropping dead have been helped.

Thank you again. So much!
This is a relief

Both are just fine.
Jill is very protective over Jack
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  13:21:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

OH! They are both over three feet.
And I don't feed them together.. Jill gets put in a seperate house to feed.
They coil together and like to be close to each other the majority of the time.
And if one is being held the other watches to see what they are doing. Both prefer to be out together.
YES! and it isn't mating. Jack is shedding.
Thank goodness.

My fears of them dropping dead have been helped.

Thank you again. So much!
This is a relief

Both are just fine.
Jill is very protective over Jack

I am sorry to keep contradicting you Erica, but what you are seeing is a human response in a snake, that isnt there.

You say they like to be close together....in the wild corns only come together to mate and at all other times stay as far away from other corns as possible, so why force them to live together when it is not in their nature to be that way. They are probably close together because they want the same place in the viv, as stated in my previous comment....and you saying that Jill is very protective of Jack is worrying, as it sounds more like she is dominating him - a snake would not feel 'protective' over another snake...it is just not in their nature.

I do know that some keepers do keep adult snakes together, but definitely not of different sexes. And they are experienced keepers who know the signs to look out for of stress and have the set up available to separate the snakes at a moments notice. Are you set up to separate Jack and Jill if you came down and found signs of them having fought? Also, if you continue to keep them together then they will definitely mate...that is what they do. Are you ready to deal with hatchlings?

One thought just occurred to me...are they definitely male and female?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  13:35:02  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hate to say Just agreed to a post as its not adding to it but you should listen to Kellog on this one. Everything she just said I can vouch for. I know it is bringing up a previous post that has ranted on for ages but I am against keeping any corns together unless for breeding purposes. Mainly for all the reasons previously stated by Kellog and my own personal experience which says that corns do much better on their own.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  16:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Kellog said is 100% spot on.

Why would a solitary snake be protective over another when they are in direct competition with each other for resources? Resources aren't just food and water- it also includes basking spots, space and hiding areas.

As already stated, snakes do NOT enjoy being together. In fact, unless the set up is VERY carefully monitored and planned out they can find it stressful to the point of illness.

Being with a male all year round can very often have SERIOUS consequences for the female- stress being the best outcome and death being the worst. Females will end up laying multiple clutches of eggs a year without being allowed an essential rest and recoup period during which she can put on all the weight she has lost through making eggs. This is incredibly unhealthy and a very irresponsible thing to allow.

I know it hasn't quite got to this stage yet- but it will.

Your male that was twitching was doing 1 of 2 things:
1. Being aggressive or warning off the other snake
2. Getting jiggy

Co-habiting only has benefits for the keeper, not the snakes.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  16:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LegLess and my brothers corn were together when we bought them as hatchlings. No internet in those days (home internet at any rate) so we relied upon the shop keepers advice that 1. they were both female and 2. they would be fine cohabiting.

Anyway things were fine until the snakes were approx 2 years...... LegLess was EXTREMELY skinny and lay motionless in the water bowl. Next to her just outside the bowl was 13 eggs.... Do I need to go on?

Needless to say we seperated them iimmediately and I had the worry and laborious challenge of trying to nurse LegLess back to health. She looked like she had been squashed she lost that much weight.

Now they are both fine, because they are SEPERATED. Even if she was the correct age and weight for breeding, she would be gravid again and again.

Please listen and learn from our own "bad" experiences and keep them seperate.

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  17:18:27  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Cant stress this enough Erica, believe me I am no expert but even I know you got a potential disaster waiting to happen there if it hasnt already.

edit sp

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 04/02/2010 17:18:55
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  21:44:52  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok i co-habit some of my corns, it IS a touchy subject. i have FULL provision to split ALL of my pairs up at the drop of a hat - vivs, mats, stats the lot - i monitor them very closely and above all i'm an experienced keeper..............which the OP obviously isn't!! so split them up!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000