Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  21:07:47  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just a quick question. Is it safe to use sanitizer gels on your hands before handling your corn. I dont do it but I know a freind who does and I wondered if the alcohole in the gel may damage his snake. Plus I dont think it gives the snake the chance to get used to your smell if you use that stuff.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  21:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wash my hands with water first and then use sanitizer after and inbetween snakes but i give it time to completely dry before handling any of my other snakes

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  21:25:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always use gel, have it next to my vivs.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  21:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

I always use gel, have it next to my vivs.

i think ive got four on the go now.. got one next to the royals, one for aura and one for simba and then the other corns have their own.. its cause i always forget to carry it when i go to handle them so i went and bought a load lol

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  21:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always used it after handling my lizards (I know not snakes, but they're reptiles so it works the same) and sometimes use it before handling, just let it dry first, as mentioned above! They're probably going to get your scent off your clothing anyway, we use a scentless gel, but some people use a scented one, and make sure they always use that brand/scent so the herp gets to know that smell!?

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

213 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  22:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use hand gel. I used to just give my hands a quick wash between handling each snake but since I've got quite a few now I use gel. Especially as one of them had a mild RI issue.

I stick to the same brand (Cuticura) and apply between handling each snake. The rest of the family use it too, because I have a (possibly erroneous) theory that the same, broadly consistant smell between the 5 of us will make the snakes less inclined to prefer one handler over another.

0.0.1 Normal Corn (Cinco), 0.1.0 Ghost Motley (Sadie), 1.0.0 Amel Corn (Snuggles), 0.0.1 Classic Corn (The Stig), 1.0.0 Pastel Royal Python (Ba'al), 1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal Python (Paladin), 4.0.0 Cats, 1.0.0 Other Half, 0.3.0 Drains on My Resources (or Daughters)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  22:19:55  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the alcohol evaporates leaving your hands dry and nothing to harm your snake

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  22:27:33  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that I may get some meself now

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  22:35:06  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have a bottle on the side in my bedroom. Actually come to think of it i could probably do with picking another bottle up.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  22:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol now I think about it, we have a bottle by the leopard gecko tank, another in both the cupbards under the bearded dragon tank and another in the hall between the two rooms.. we're either well prepared or lazy - never have to walk far to the nearest hand cleaning hehe..

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  23:09:23  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fal

...we're either well prepared or lazy...

neither, we're turning into a nation of anti-bac freaks!

i even saw a mum at the park with the damn stuff the other week using it on her child's hands after going on the slide........the see-saw........the swings...........the roundabout.............
whats wrong with a little dirt?
and from a herpetological point of view if you're keeping your snakes in the same room they're highly likely to be all sharing the same germs anyway!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 02/02/2010 23:09:45
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  23:28:49  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony
from a herpetological point of view if you're keeping your snakes in the same room they're highly likely to be all sharing the same germs anyway!

Good point. I only picked a bottle up when i started handling more than one snake.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  04:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Must admit that all I do is wash my hands with anti-bacterial soap before and after each handle....and between viv clean each morning. I know they are probably sharing germs as it is but with Silvesta still being fairly new I think it is better to keep the smell of the other off my hands as much as possible.

Dont think I wash my hands as much as I do when I feed Silvesta - weigh mice, return them to box...wash hands...weigh Silvesta in his box. Release Silvesta onto table, dangle mouse, strike and coil...wash hands (in case I have to handle him between mice)...offer 2nd mouse....wash hands....return Silvesta to viv....wash hands!! A lot of washing but I dont want him thinking my fingers are his next meal!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  10:20:47  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
that stuff comes in very handy at cleaning times to use in between doing each snake

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  13:29:06  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you have a 99p store near you ,you can get 4 pocket size ones on a large dispenser pump one for 99p

Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  18:15:59  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I bought in bulk lol

0.0.1 Carolina corn - (renamed) Lumos.
2.0.0 Shetlands - Winston & Rupert.
1.3.0 Guinea pigs - Coffee, Nutkin, Rosemary & Thyme.
0.1.0 Yorkshire Terrier - Poppy.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  19:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wash my hands before, but I don't use sanitizer before. I was told that the sanitizer messes up your smell and the snake won't know you. I don't know what the difference is between the sanitizer and teh soap since they both wash away your body smell, but that's what I was told.
quote:
Originally posted by elament

Just a quick question. Is it safe to use sanitizer gels on your hands before handling your corn. I dont do it but I know a freind who does and I wondered if the alcohole in the gel may damage his snake. Plus I dont think it gives the snake the chance to get used to your smell if you use that stuff.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

213 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  19:45:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just in reply to the two posts above;

That's precisely why I use the sanitiser gel. If you see my post earlier I explain my theory. For me it's got little to do with hygiene and plenty to do with providing a cosistant smell between 2 adults and 3 children who all handle the snakes.

I might be way off mark (that's often the way with my theories!) but as yet all 6 snakes seem to be equally cool with any of us handling them. Dunno if that's down to the gel but it doesn't harm them and may actually be benefitting them in a random kind of way!

0.0.1 Normal Corn (Cinco), 0.1.0 Ghost Motley (Sadie), 1.0.0 Amel Corn (Snuggles), 0.0.1 Classic Corn (The Stig), 1.0.0 Pastel Royal Python (Ba'al), 1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal Python (Paladin), 4.0.0 Cats, 1.0.0 Other Half, 0.3.0 Drains on My Resources (or Daughters)

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  19:45:49  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
think i got about 6 pocket size bottle under vivs, usually pick them up when i see them cheap somewhere, some are better than others i got some from a poundland and they seam to have a very low amount of alcohol compaired to others so doesnt dry very quick

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  10:18:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was advised to use hand gel every time we handle Steve, the only time not to put hand gel on is feed time, as the reptile shop said Steve will get used to knowing when it is feed time then, is there any truth in this?

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  15:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So they get used to the smell and associate that smell with the owner instead of the owner's actual body scent? That makes sense.I know not to smell like food when I handle her,so that she doesn't mistake my fingers for a mouse but I'd not thought about the other. I keep sanitizer by my viv too and usually use after I've handled her. I guess I'm going to have to re-think my process although I've been doing this for a year and not gotten sick yet. N
quote:
Originally posted by bbsmog

For me it's got little to do with hygiene and plenty to do with providing a cosistant smell between 2 adults and 3 children who all handle the snakes.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000