viv size
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  11:12:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he my friend the idiot as we call him, had just returned to snake keeping after a 10 year absence and has tendency to not take my advice so im asking you to giv him some advice of which im sure ive already given him,

he has an old amazing viv i must say where he used to keep a king snake, he had since a kiddie.
he has now aquired a 17 nch juvi corn snake but only has a 3 foot viv in length which is 15 inch deep and 16 high
he is about to introduced his 17 inch corn into the enclosure

can someone tell him wether or not its a good idea in the sense its to big etc,like i have,
hes adament he can as long as there are plenty of hides etc
but i always though it would be too big and caused stress even if he had 100s of hides in there

so please my fellow herp friends can you settle this arguement once and for all am i wrong in saying its a bad idea or is he right in that the hides will lower or even eliminate the stress

mamny thanks as always GB

Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet.
Plato

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  11:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right-

Big spaces can stress snakes, especially small ones.

The viv must be absolutely stuffed with hides, plants, tubes, wood etc in order to make the snake feel comfortable and secure.

Lots of hides doesn't mean it will be ok- snakes need cover under which to move from place, as open spaces will make the snake vulnerable to 'attack' as it were. The snake should be able to move from one end to the other without being seen (and eaten!)

I would strongly recommend that he partitions the viv, even a third less would be better than nothing. As I'm sure he knows, a stressed snake can very easily develop feeding problems and stress related illness.

If he feels he can provide a suitable environment for the snake then fine, but many keepers don't fully understand how to provide the snake with a secure habitat.

Aspen for substrate will also help as the snake can burrow and create tunnels through which to move.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  12:42:34  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
lots of fake plants to cover the open spaces between lots of hides and he'll be fine in a 3' viv

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  12:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thnaks for you replies and prove my point that its to big he has no settle on partitioning the viv for him for the snake to feel secure and so he can squeeze out of the glass front too,
he pland on having about 3 large hanging/drapping plants and about 9 half cut kitchen roll tubes which he hopes will give him security and about 2 inches of aspen substrate so i think it should be ok and by what your replies have stated it should be enough to keep him secure and comfy
if anyone has any other editions to make on the post it is of course welcome

but many thanks to thos who have replied with much help
again thank you the arguement is now settleb

GB

Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet.
Plato
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  13:05:48  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My Colin came with a three foot viv and he was about 27" ish when I got him. He was fine but then he is probably the most laid back snake in the entire world but having said that I didnt see much of him for the first few weeks during which time he ate normally and shed as well. Now just four months later he is reguarly out and about(has been for the last three months) and sometimes i look in and think he needs a bigger viv as he is rapidly approaching three foot long

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  15:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fake plants do wonders for providing security while they are moving around from one end to the other. I've watched Snickers and she refuses to move around when she thinks I can see her. She will go from one end to the other completely under her plastic plants.We won't mention the fact that the plants make for a nice view when looking at the viv also from a human perpsective.
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

lots of fake plants to cover the open spaces between lots of hides and he'll be fine in a 3' viv

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  16:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as long as the substrate isnt two inches deep over the heated end then that sounds ok, aim for about 2cm max in the hot end

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  21:56:55  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd personally section the viv, too big a space is stress for the snake and stress for the owner when he can't find the damn snake in it!! lol

but yes, lots of cover (decor -hides, plants etc) will help to a certain extent from the snake's point of view (but STILL make it difficult to find the damn snake!!)

just be safe in the knowledge of when it's not feeding you can tell him it's because his set-up isn't right

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  00:06:53  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'd have to go with Eeji and GP on this one. Now without the actually experience behind I can only go by lots of reading.

The whole stress and bigger vivariums is still debatable, personally I don't think it's true, it's not so much the space they are in when roaming, but more to do with cover while roaming and more imprtantly when in a hide. Snake apparently like to be able to feel the sides of the hide they are in, so a massive hide wouldn't make it feel secure. So as Eeji said, lots of cover for roaming, and just make sure the hides are small enough. BUT, as a back up do what GP mentioned, and create a partition as a back up.
This is what I will be doing once Elijah is ready to upgrade.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  03:39:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am the same as LittleMick....agreeing with both Eeji and GP - but I think what needs to be taken into account is what GP said about the stress caused in trying to find a small snake in a big viv.....it is hard enough finding Silvesta in his viv sometimes and he is 3'6" long! Just imagine trying to chase a small snake around a large viv filled with hides, plants, logs etc.... Something worth thinking about.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000