Strange jaw habits...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  18:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just noticed a few moments ago, that my corn snake is inside of her pot-hide and keeps detaching her jaw and stretching it open then closing it again, then doing it again. This isn't the first time I've noticed her doing it, could it be a health problem at all or is she just having a stretch or saying shes hungry?

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  18:55:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I don't know how to edit posts hehee

I was wondering, weird as it sounds but could it be her teeth growing?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  20:59:55  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
not likely to be teeth...........
is there any mucous or anything like substrate in her mouth?
or has she just had a feed?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  21:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing of the sort at all. Plenty of water and feeding day is tomorrow. I've looked for signs of mites too, just to be cautious but nothing seems out of the ordinary, maybe she was just stretching but I wanted to make sure, I've seen her do it once or twice before but she did it about 5 times in a row today.

Go to Top of Page

Jo-And-Danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  09:26:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might just have a very sleepy snake! x

~The Zoo~
Freddie // Ghost corn
Brittany // Collie cross dog
Billie // BSH Cat
Millie // BSH Cat
Some Tropical Fishiesss

Wish List......
Another doggy
Royal Python (norm or pastel)
More Fishiesss!!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  21:27:00  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i wouldn't be overly concerned unless it's persistant and then would need checking out properly..........

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  22:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'll just keep a good watch on her

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  12:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not before shedding is it? I know our bearded dragon puffs his beard out a lot and jerks about doing weird stuff before a shed, then after he's fine again. Just a thought?

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  10:09:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm no I don't think she's going to shed, shes not dulling like usual at any rate.

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  09:12:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could it be hydration? Mind you if she has water daily she has every opportunity to rehydrate so doubt it... sorry, thinking whilst typing lol

Does she do it in one end of the viv more than the other? Like only when in the warm end? Don't know what that could mean if it were the case, just trying to paint a picture so to speak.

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2010 :  21:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She gets fresh water every single day and plenty of it, though she hasnt done it in a while, maybe she just had that weird feeling you get when you click a joint and it doesnt feel right you never know hahaha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2010 :  22:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just a thought i know beardies are lizards etc and am on a snake forum but is she doin it in the hot end rather than cool end i dont know for certain if corns do this but beardies do it to regulate their heat like a dog panting due to no having sweat glands etc the only way for them to regulat temps is to open their mouths otherwise known a gaping what temps you got in there its not to hot is it.
paul

dogs:1.1.0 cookie, scrappy
rabbit:0.1.0 bluebell
beardies:1.1.0 spike, sunshine
corns:1.0.0 sid
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2010 :  22:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's doing it in the cool end, she spends most of her time in the cool end unless she's shedding or has just eaten I've noticed.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2010 :  22:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ah well i dunno lol hope she's well, was just a thought as i breed beardies and they do it all the time due to high temps
paul

dogs:1.1.0 cookie, scrappy
rabbit:0.1.0 bluebell
beardies:1.1.0 spike, sunshine
corns:1.0.0 sid
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2010 :  22:26:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think she's fine :) Perhaos she really was just stretching, I just wanted to ask because I'd spotted her doing it once before then she did it a fair few times needed to make sure it wasn't a reason to worry but she's barely done it since really :)

I'd really like a bearded dragon...no space atm though :(

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000