New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2010 :  17:30:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hope this is in the right place, but ive often wondered this....but what do snakes see?? Is it like you see on nature programmes sometimes, where they see in infa-red? so hot things appear to them as red shapes+cool things are blue? Or do they see shapes+colours like us??
Hope this makes sense!

1.1 Cornsnake: Fluffy and Blaze
1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa: Falcor
0.1 Bearded dragon: Chilli
1.1 Cats: Jackson and Mia
1.0 Fiance: Ade :)

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2010 :  17:58:57  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im not sure but i know some snakes do have heat pits or heat sensors. I believe pythons might have heat pits but im not entirely sure.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2010 :  18:05:16  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I read somewhere that snakes see in monochrome they sposed to be colourblind

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2010 :  18:14:32  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Snake eyesight varies from snake to snake, ranging from only seeing from light to dark, to medeocre. Vipers, Pythons and Boas see in infra-red. And also, it's mainly the arboreal snakes that have the better eyesight, more so than terrestial snakes.

Other senses also include the sense of smell, using their tongue to pick up airbourne particles and passing them to the Jacobsons Organ, this in turn determines whether the scent is of predator or prey, and also whether other snake are male or female and how fertile they are.

The ventral(bottom) side of a snake is very sensitive to vibrations and so can detect which direction something is moving.

LM

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

Edited by - LittleMick on 27/01/2010 18:21:35
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2010 :  00:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is why I laugh when people comment about their snakes watching tv! I doubt very much they can see it...let alone follow the story line!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2010 :  16:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know what they are supposed to see, but I know that my chihuahua can be across the room from Snickers and she will follow his movements with her head and never flick her tongue. If he comes and lays down my feet, she will bend her head way over to watch him until he goes to his bed a few feet away. My husband will be sitting on the sofa and i in the chair and Snickers will suddenly freeze when my husband moves his foot. Whatever triggers their vision is really good with her.
quote:
Originally posted by tinamiles

hope this is in the right place, but ive often wondered this....but what do snakes see?? Is it like you see on nature programmes sometimes, where they see in infa-red? so hot things appear to them as red shapes+cool things are blue? Or do they see shapes+colours like us??
Hope this makes sense!

Edited by - n/a on 29/01/2010 13:32:32
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2010 :  16:55:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

Vipers, Pythons and Boas see in infra-red.

Vipers are split into 4 groups, only one group contains animals with heat pits (Pit vipers).

Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2010 :  16:07:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so....Corn snakes dont see in infa red as they dont have heat pits,......so how do corn snakes see then?? blurry shapes, light or dark or average vision? The comment about aeboreal snakes having better vision makes alot of sense...shoulda thought of that one!

1.1 Cornsnake: Fluffy and Blaze
1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa: Falcor
0.1 Bearded dragon: Chilli
1.1 Cats: Jackson and Mia
1.0 Fiance: Ade :)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2010 :  16:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can accept the viewpoint that they don't see well, but I've watched Snickers' respond to Nacho from a significant distance in following him with her head. She also freezes when the birds are moving around on our back patio. I know she is seeing something because of her obvious responses. She also watches my computer screen when she is in my lap...I'm not crazy and have been surprised after all that I read about their poor sight. Her responses do not match up to what I've read. Sorry folks...someone is going to have to work hard to convince me that she is not seeing what is going on around her.
quote:
Originally posted by tinamiles

so....Corn snakes dont see in infa red as they dont have heat pits,......so how do corn snakes see then?? blurry shapes, light or dark or average vision? The comment about aeboreal snakes having better vision makes alot of sense...shoulda thought of that one!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2010 :  18:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can accept the viewpoint that they don't see well, but I've watched Snickers' respond to Nacho from a significant distance in following him with her head. She also freezes when the birds are moving around on our back patio. I know she is seeing something because of her obvious responses. She also watches my computer screen when she is in my lap...I'm not crazy and have been surprised after all that I read about their poor sight. Her responses do not match up to what I've read. Sorry folks...someone is going to have to work hard to convince me that she is not seeing what is going on around her.
quote:

They cant see are you convinced now

I think they can see at short distances but feeling vibrations and picking air particles out of the air is maybe their main senses
that draws them in closer enough to see what they are sensing.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2010 :  20:12:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think snakes can see movement- but distinguishing what it is or seeing well? I don't think so.

Looking at something doesn't mean they can see it, or enjoy looking it at- vision is a sense, and a way of working out your surroundings.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2010 :  21:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The snakes eyesight vary from snake to snake.

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python
1.0.0 Tri-coloured honduran - Feta (R.I.P. my love!!!You will never be forgoten!)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2010 :  04:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fernando Pierre

The snakes eyesight vary from snake to snake.

Already stated by LittleMick -

quote:

Snake eyesight varies from snake to snake, ranging from only seeing from light to dark, to medeocre. Vipers, Pythons and Boas see in infra-red. And also, it's mainly the arboreal snakes that have the better eyesight, more so than terrestial snakes......

LM

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 30/01/2010 04:37:04
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2010 :  14:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can accept the seeing movement. There is no way she can smell the birds on our patio through the window, but movement I can agree with. I know they can't distinguish objects because she once slithered over a writing pen after sniffing it and sprayed it. if I'm not mistaken the spraying comes only out of fear so for some reason she was afraid of that writing pen which happened to be the same width she was at the time. She doesn't attack pens any more since she is now bigger than they are.
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

I think snakes can see movement- but distinguishing what it is or seeing well? I don't think so.

Looking at something doesn't mean they can see it, or enjoy looking it at- vision is a sense, and a way of working out your surroundings.

Edited by - n/a on 30/01/2010 14:24:47
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2010 :  14:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sprayed the pen? What do you mean?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2010 :  23:52:27  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

quote:

Vipers, Pythons and Boas see in infra-red.

Vipers are split into 4 groups, only one group contains animals with heat pits (Pit vipers).

Thanks for clarifying Matty, I wasn't actually aware that only one group has heat pits, but then again I haven't done that much research on vipers. Cheers.

quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

This is why I laugh when people comment about their snakes watching tv! I doubt very much they can see it...let alone follow the story line!

I dunno Kellog, whenever I play The Jackson 5 on my computer my Elle always goes nearer the speaker, now I know it's probably just the vibrations of the base, but I swear that anytime she is going to jump up and start moon walking, lol.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000