corn snake feeding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  21:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a 4ft long female and as far as i know she is fine health wise shes active drinks water often but she hasnt eatn now for about 4-5 wks this is not like her she was a regular once a wk girl ive checked her mouth for sores etc all clear shes not lost waight just wont eat she turns her nose up at the food ive tried braining everything i know any help would be greatfull thanks

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  21:05:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you 100% she is female?

Males often go off their food in the winter, its very common.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  23:09:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its not unheard of that females will self brumate also. They sort of hibernate themselves. If she isnt losing any weight and is still looking healthy, then dont panic, we are heading swifly back into season again, so she will start feeding again soon, but probably not for another month or so. what temperature do you have her at?

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2010 :  05:22:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I echo Sexybear's question as we have had 2 forum members recently who went through exactly the same thing with their 'females' and after advice on here got them probed only to discover that they were males and were off their food because they were 'horny'! My Kellog did that and stayed off his food for 13 weeks, from the point when I first got him as a newbie, so you can imagine my reaction.

Do you weigh her and is she losing weight? Kellog lost surprisingly little, which indicates to me that it was a 'natural fast' whereas if the weight loss is fast then obviously something is wrong.

Am sure you have checked this out, but worth a reminder - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3720.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 27/01/2010 05:23:26
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2010 :  11:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't seem anything to worry about too much...
Just keep checking her, and see if you can get any clues from 'her' behaviour.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - Oakey

0.1.0 - Okeetee (Roxy)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2010 :  20:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for your replys as far as i know she is female the lad i bought her from said sshe was female as told by shop owner from where he goy her as i said she dosnt seem to be loosing wieght and is active good clear eyes i guess shes just doing her thing ill monitour her all the same never thought to wiegh her ill do so and keep record ill know then if she is loosing wieght cheers everone
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2010 :  05:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad we have been able to reassure you. Following the advice given on here all I did was continue to offer Kellog his mouse on his regular feeding day (after weighing him)....when he ignored it I would then leave it in the viv overnight and remove it the next morning. You can imagine my shock (and excitement) when one morning he suddenly struck !! My first feed with him after over 3 months of trying every 5 days!

Just watch her weight and wait. Keep us informed as to how she is doing.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  18:34:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok will try enticing her each wk to feed and just be patient she hasnt lost any wieght i can see ill have to go buy somthing to wiegh her properly at the mo i just check the back of her neck to make sure its not going thin as addised by pet shop owner i guess its just a waiting game like i said other than not eating she's great will keep you posted thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000