Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tidus
Snake Mite

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  22:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So my corn snake is in his new home hes exploring! buttt he keeps trying to escape. lol is this normal?

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  22:24:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yeah he's just sussing out his new home........

what i would say is the viv looks a little large for him and sp****ly decorated, the water bowl will be tipped over easily and is too full - if he wants to have a soak he'll displace a lot of water which will overflow and soak your repti carpet........hope you've got a piece or two spare!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  22:28:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
paper shreddings!!

cheap and easy to get hold of - just shred letters and newspapers you dont want and voila! it would give him something to burrow through and you could bury the stands for the plants then

but looks like a cool set up though

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  22:34:57  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

...and sp****ly decorated...

lmfao the swear filter **'d out 'sparsely'

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  22:40:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's looking good!

How old?
And corn snakes are excellent escape artists, before doing anything else, examine the vivarium for possible escape routes, and also weigh down/lock any hatches that could be opened, as corn snakes are stronger than you'd think.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - Oakey

0.1.0 - Okeetee (Roxy)
Go to Top of Page

tidus
Snake Mite

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  22:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He just escaped lol he has 3 hides and 2 vines on the side. he also has a branch . that i jsut cleaned. when i caught him when he escaped he seemed really clingy and i tried putting him back in but he jsut wanted to get held. I have EVERYTHING a corn snake needs. its just a whole new experience from preping for one then actually getting one lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  22:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha.
I'm in the same boat as you, except I got the snake and viv setup together so basically had no time to prep.

I have 2 hides, but my 3 week old only uses 1 (she likes to burrow).
I'm learning just as much as my little friend is, but its a great experience.

0.1.0 - Okeetee (Roxy)
Go to Top of Page

tidus
Snake Mite

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  23:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is his home & he is 4 months old. Also I'm going to be adding a background because it feels to open.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  23:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its nice but i think your snake would definately appreciate a substrate he could burrow in - aspen or paper shreddings are good or you could use eco earth which is coconut husk
it will give him something else to hide under aswell and make him feel a bit more secure..

when did you get him? are you using a heatmat to heat it up?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  23:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't coconut husk create too much of a humid environment?

0.1.0 - Okeetee (Roxy)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  23:15:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
not if it's then baked to dry it out.............

Go to Top of Page

tidus
Snake Mite

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  23:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think he likes to burrow, he's been trying to get out and dying for attention. But everyone says not to hold them for a week so I'm trying to avoid it. I just got him today and yes I'm using a heatmat. Using a different substrate would be too messy, I think he's more of a climber then a burrower lol. But a couple weeks I will get to know more about him and how he acts to me and everything. :)

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  00:19:07  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How do you know he dosn't like to burrow if you have only just got him and havn't given him anything to burrow in? Might be better with something that he can burrow in because the hole set up is so large and open and for a small snake this can be very intimidating.

The perfect size setup for your snake is if the length and width of his set up is around the same length as the snake itself.

You might also want to just take a little bit of the water out of the bowl. Try to get the water level around about the same depth as your snakes gurth as sometimes they like to curl up in it, especially if they are about to shed.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

tidus
Snake Mite

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  00:28:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i like a big tank. putting a snake in a tiny box its sad. at least he has somewhere to go other then no where lol.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  02:05:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its not sad, Corn Snakes like smaller spaces.
He may get stressed and not eat, or even regurgitate just because he's not happy.

And like DannyBrown91 says, he may indeed love to burrow (like most corn snakes).
Give aspen a try, its really not expensive and my bet is that he'll disappear underneath in no time.

0.1.0 - Okeetee (Roxy)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  03:39:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know you are getting a lot of advice on here that may come across as criticism to you...but it isnt, it is just based on experience of having corns and learning from their behaviour, which you havent had the chance to learn yet.

Each point made it valid. Although corns live in the wild they only come out into the open when they hunt, otherwise they stay hidden away where they feel safe. If you are wanting to use a larger viv then it is vital that you pack it out enough with plants, hides, logs, branches...and you need to make sure that it is mainly at ground level, whereas the plants you have dont allow any ground coverage. From your 2nd pic it looks well covered, but try and look at it from his perspective and see what you think.

What size are the 3 hides you have for him? Again corns want the smallest hides possible, where they can feel the sides of them against their skin when they curl up inside them...especially if they are not on a substrate that they can wiggle into.

The water bowl definitely needs changing, it needs to have a wide base and lower. The last thing you want is all that water being spilt over your lovely viv! Also the point about the depth is well made. Some corns do like to soak in their bowls, but it is a case of soak....not swim, in which case they need to be able to rest on the bottom of the bowl. I use the cat/dog ceramic water bowls and find them perfect as they are heavy enough and come in enough different sizes to be able to find the right height and width.

The comment about the substrate is also one you need to take into account. In the wild corns would have undergrowth to burrow through and we replicate this in captivity by using a substrate they can burrow in...and I think that all of us who use that sort of substrate find our corns love to 'disappear' for a while, making their own tunnels and also using it as a way to thermoregulate if they feel it is necessary. I dont really feel that the fact that it is messier is a good enough reason to stop your corn from having the best viv you can give him. You have only just got him so you have no way of knowing what he likes, especially as you havent had the chance to see his behaviour in a viv filled with aspen or beech chippings.

You say he has been trying to get out and 'dying for attention'...that is just your interpretation of his behaviour. Corns do try to escape and it may well be that he is trying to escape because he is scared. I am not saying this is what the explanation is but it is definitely something to think about.

You say that when he escaped he was clingy and didnt seem to want to go back in viv....again this may not be a sign of him wanting to be handled but more a sign of fear. Have you worked out how he escaped yet? I am so glad you found him!!! We have had too many forum members who have lost snakes and not found them, that is so distressing.

I do repeat though...please dont take any of this as criticism....it is what the forum is for. We are here to give you advice from the experience of many different owners and it is up to you to decide whether you take that advice or not, but we wouldnt be doing this if we werent concerned for your corn and for you as his new owner.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

tidus
Snake Mite

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  04:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alright fair enough haha. when he did escape i was watching him. and jsut held him for a bit. i will put more things on the ground so he can feel more safe and smaller hides to. also a new bowl. i will learn more about him but im jsut making myself believe what i want to. Kinda denial if anything. but we will see how he is for a week and if he eats. thanks for the advice lol and sorry for taking it as criticism.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  05:06:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tidus

alright fair enough haha. when he did escape i was watching him. and jsut held him for a bit. i will put more things on the ground so he can feel more safe and smaller hides to. also a new bowl. i will learn more about him but im jsut making myself believe what i want to. Kinda denial if anything. but we will see how he is for a week and if he eats. thanks for the advice lol and sorry for taking it as criticism.

No need for the apology Tidus, you havent reacted badly to any of the advice given and so havent seemed to take it as critisism...we are just aware of having a few members recently who have not reacted well when offered advice and I wanted to make sure you realised that we were doing it out of love !!

I know what you mean about making yourself believe what you want to believe...I still put human emotions to some of Kellog's behaviour, despite knowing better !

What is most important is that you are taking on-board the advice given and will act on it if you feel it is necessary. It is great having a member who is so willing to learn and who so obviously puts the happiness of his corn first.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  08:47:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tidus

when he did escape i was watching him.

iv gotta ask..how did he manage to get out? you are probably one of the few owners who has seen their snake escape!!

sorry if i came across as harsh about putting another substrate in - wasnt my intention, i just think your snake may feel a bit safer with something he can burrow under - mine love paper shreddings and its so cheap to make/get hold of

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  11:33:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oakey

Doesn't coconut husk create too much of a humid environment?

I have just got a bag of komodo terrain coco husk bedding for my python, which comes already fluffed up in a bag. It is suitable for dry and wet environment and looks lovely. Avoid the stuff that comes in bricks, because you have to soak it to make it expand, and then you would have to bake it to prevent humidity.

Tidus, you have a very lovely snake and it is evident you are trying your best to be a fantastic owner. Stick with the advice given on the forum and you can't go far wrong.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  14:28:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, you are doing well .
The fact that you are even here shows that you are more dedicated than the many keepers who buy a generic snake book and will take no other advice because "it says this/that in the book".

0.1.0 - Okeetee (Roxy)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000