winter - my nsnake doesnt eat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  00:18:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I fed Zar on the 17th December before going on holiday for Xmas. Once I came back he didn't accept the usual jumbo mouse. till now zar hasn't eaten yet.
he look ok though...

could he be in a kind of half way through hibernation?

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  09:19:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes you may find that a snake sort of puts itself down for the winter, they know the season by the light cycle and general cooler ambient temps.
Its quite normal for a snake to go a good couple of months without food over the winter period, but ideally, they should be cooled also, as this slows their metabolism, so they dont starve. At the same time, when they are cooled, they shouldnt be fed, as they wont digest and the food would rot in the stomache, if they didnt regurge first, and onthe same note, before cooling, make sure they have passed their last meal.

hth Mike

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  10:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike is right, quite a few snakes go off their food in winter, especially males.

However, corns can go months and months without eating and certainly without starving. Cooling and brumating is only really necessary if you are planning to breed, and even then many people dont bother.

Brumating your corn can be dangerous if they aren't the correct weight, condition, temps are too low, temps are too high, food isnt completely out of the system etc etc.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  12:32:24  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
in addition to all the info above..................

its about 6 weeks (ish) since his last feed then, tbh it's not a particularly long time.
i'd weigh him and keep an eye on his weight either weekly or fortnightly until he starts eating again but not worry unless he starts losing weight.

and make sure your setup is correct as if the temperatures are off then the snake might refuse to feed knowing it can't properly digest its meal

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  16:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys. eventually Zar accepted his jumbo mice. All the sudden he was very alert and wondering around the vivarium flicking his toungue.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  20:27:06  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thats great news and thanks for updating us

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  07:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zar

Thank you guys. eventually Zar accepted his jumbo mice. All the sudden he was very alert and wondering around the vivarium flicking his toungue.

Thanks

Am so pleased to hear that Zar has eaten, I know what it is like having a snake decide to fast on you...it is such a relief when they finally decide to eat.

Echoing GP - thanks for letting us know.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

77 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2010 :  23:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
must be something in the air Fofo hasnt eaten in 2 weeks and Vesper didnt eat this week either but im not worried they will eat when they want something

Carolina Corn called Fofo, Female

Motley Corn called vespa, Female

Butter Corn called Amarelo, Female

Charcoal Carn called Cinzento, Female?

And Finally our newest member of the Zoo A Snow Corn named Neve, Female AGAIN!!!!
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2010 :  06:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its quite normal this time of year, don't worry!
My last feed of the adults was mid october, so 14 weeks or so now, none have lost much weight, and all looking happy when I checked them all last night.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

77 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2010 :  22:24:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice to know its not just me then thanks guys

Carolina Corn called Fofo, Female

Motley Corn called vespa, Female

Butter Corn called Amarelo, Female

Charcoal Carn called Cinzento, Female?

And Finally our newest member of the Zoo A Snow Corn named Neve, Female AGAIN!!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000