New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  22:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoah, freaky feeding session which has taught me to be MUCH more careful in the future. I just gave Saracen his first small mouse and forgot to use the tweezers. He got really confused where the mouse was and struck at me, getting a good hold of my sleeve (he really sank his teeth in and didn't want to let go. I tried gently holding him behind his head and he started constricting my hand with his back end. Eventually he let go and I poked the mouse in his mouth and managed to extricate my hand from his back end.

Once he'd finished he was really aggressively searching for food again and whenever I went near him to put him back in the viv he looked like he was going to go for me, whipping his head around at me. In the end I had to cover him with a towel and wrestle him into the viv trying to keep my hand out of his mouth and having to prise his body off my arm.

It was a complete mess and probably stressed him well out. It was entirely my own fault. Twilight is so gentle when he feeds, being only a baby - I'd never experienced a full hunting mode. Next time, carefully washed hands and tweezers and feed in a tub. I've learned my lesson big time.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  04:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sammy, we can only learn by what we do so dont feel bad about it! Sounds like you dealt with situation really well considering circumstances. I know it was probably stressful but Saracen fed and that is what is important.

I feed both of mine out of a tub and have struggled with Silvesta to begin with, he took mice fine but went on attack whenever you tried to pick him up....but he did that when we fed him in tub so is actually less stressful doing it in the open and he has calmed down a lot.
Sounds like he was really hungry...was he late for a feed or is small mouse smaller in weight than what he was on? Did you hold mouse by tail and dangle as far away from your body as possible? What has he been like when you have fed him before, with tongs and in tub? If he grabs you again try dripping a bit of water on his head to get him to release.

I think it is great that you are getting 2 totally different experiences with Twilight and Saracen....and of course how could you expect Twilight to behave any different!!! It was no wonder you found Saracen's behaviour a shock. He will calm down and learn...just as you are learning.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  15:41:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Judith. It was only my third feed with him and each has been different. He has been on two fluffs but I think he's well big enough to give him lots more. I didn't want to increase in size too quickly though so I gave the smallest mouse. He feeds every seven days but I guess he's used to getting two mice so was expecting another. I did wiggle from the tail but usually I sit away from him so the only thing near him is the mouse. This time I was trying to watch the TV at the same time (bad idea) and was laying next to him so there were too many things in his feeding area confusing him, including my sleeve!

How do you get your guys back in the viv? Usually mine are calm after a feed so I pick Twilight up on the kitchen roll I feed him on and Saracen I feed on a towel on top of a tray so I pick the tray up and let him go back in his viv himself. This time he was so busy hunting I couldn't keep him on the tray and he wouldn't let me pick him up without going for me.

Do corns generally become more aggressive feeders as they age? I've never seen an adult feed but I'm going to check out the video threads next.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  17:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has been a very educational and interesting thread. I'm going to be keeping an eye on such...Snickers is still quite docile to feed and I easily pick her up out of the travel carrier when she is done and put her back in her viv. I would hate to think the day will come when I would become her prey.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  23:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed, very useful thread.

My 3 week old girl - called roxy, is a good little feeder so far.
Loves her pinkies!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - Oakey

0.1.0 - Okeetee (Roxy)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

44 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  00:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you should be so proud of yourself you handled the situation really well. I always feed mine in a feeding box, when it comes to putting them back in their viv its,s quite easy at the moment cos i can just put the tub into the viv, when they get bigger though that wont be so easy!!!! interesting thread thank xx

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  04:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you checkout the video posts there is a video of Kellog feeding, although he is a fairly lazy feeder...and I have actually got him to coil and constrict (just about) since then - pics to come soon I hope.

Kellog isnt a problem getting back in the viv. I just wait til the bump is near his middle then pick him up, one hand one third down from head the other hand one third up from tail (brain fog moment so not explaining it very well!), this means I am supporting most of his body but not touching his 'dinner'.

Silvesta is not as easy but is getting easier....same method as Kellog, just a bit harder to catch and the occasional need to avoid him striking. Definitely helps if you dont have mousey smelling hands, which I know isnt easy as you have just fed but maybe if you had bacterial wipes nearby then you can remove any smell that might make Saracen think you are food.

Also...next time....dont try and multi-task while feeding him !!! I know us women are pros at it but I think that when you are feeding Saracen for now he might require your full attention ! Also keep to a normal way of feeding him....always do Kellog on a towel on the floor in the same position, Silvesta on a towel on a table. I always make sure (especially with Silvesta) that I do the same thing in the same way - so no lying down next to him next time!!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  08:23:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know, I know. I clearly know I'm to blame for this one and have learned a valuable lesson - I will definitely not repeat this mistake. I was just wondering if snakes get naturally more aggressive in feeding as they age but from what you've said about Kellog being calm and Silvesta getting better, it sounds as though it is the behaviour of the owners that has the main effect. Cheers.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  14:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Kellog isnt a problem getting back in the viv. I just wait til the bump is near his middle then pick him up, one hand one third down from head the other hand one third up from tail (brain fog moment so not explaining it very well!), this means I am supporting most of his body but not touching his 'dinner'.

Its ok, we know what you mean

Nice technique though!
Going to try that myself

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - Oakey

0.1.0 - Okeetee (Roxy)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000