Snow corns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2010 :  18:29:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked up my Snow Corn on Sunday past, but something just occured to me. Seeing as they have red eyes, what happens when they go into shed?

Cheers,
Justin

1.0.0 Snow Corn

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2010 :  18:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you dont really notice it as much.. luciens eyes tend to get a pale pinkish hue to them when hes getting ready to shed

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2010 :  18:40:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
our steve's eyes clouded over and went a dullish grey.

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  08:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stella's go cloudy.

I wondered if you would be able to tell or not, but you deffinitely can see a difference.

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  09:03:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My amels' still go blue, a pinky blue.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  09:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not in relation to shedding but connected to red-eyes, I think that snakes with red-eyes are more sensitive to the flash from cameras. Forum members have suggested covering the flash with something like rizla paper (roll-up cigarette paper) just to dull it enough to ensure it doesnt bother your snake's eye. Just a though....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  09:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well what do you konw? I woke up this morning to find that my Snow Corn had shed over night and is now very active
Unfortunately though it wasn't a complete shed, so I had to break the 1 week rule to help him get the rest of it off.
He's an absolute joy to handle though. No tail rattling or striking or anything. Was happy enough to let me work away.

Kellog, cheers for the tip about the flash. I'm a smoker so there's plenty of Rizla about Don't worry though I never smoke around my snakes.

1.0.0 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  11:38:16  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by headlow

Don't worry though I never smoke around my snakes.

Make sure you wash your hands before you pick up your snake aswell, i read somewhere that nicotine is toxic to snakes.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

danbaylis35
Hatchling

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  11:39:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my amel i never have a clue when he is in shed as he is a very strangely coloured amel lol cant seem to find one like him!! as for my snow motley i doubt id be able to see when she is in shed

mr.chunky (amel),ssssssteve (western hognose),Cruela (dwarf boa)
Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  12:32:52  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b303/Skeebee/snakefeeding016.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b303/Skeebee/snakefeeding015.jpg
Thats mouse in blue, i didn't even notice first time, he ate fine and next thing i know theres a complete shed in the viv lol but the only noticble change on mouse was the the change in eye colour.
just for comparison, this is mouse not in blue
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b303/Skeebee/snakefeed160110055.jpg
lol

1.0.0 Snow Motley Corn Snake. (Mouse)
1.0.0 Amel Corn Snake. (Ginger)
0.2.0 Chinese Crested Dogs. (Skeebee & Yuki)
0.1.0 Bullmastiff x American Bulldog (Tsukira)
1.1.0 Ferrets. (Spike & Buffy)
0.2.0 Aylesbury Ducks. (Crispy & Nibbles)

Edited by - Twi on 22/01/2010 12:33:54
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  15:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Make sure you wash your hands before you pick up your snake aswell, i read somewhere that nicotine is toxic to snakes.
quote:

And humans

My lavander went into shed and I could not see any changes in him to suggest he was in shed. The way I try to tell is see when his last shed was and in 4-6 weeks if he goes quiet or of his food. It is most probable that he is in shed.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  05:22:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by headlow

Well what do you konw? I woke up this morning to find that my Snow Corn had shed over night and is now very active
Unfortunately though it wasn't a complete shed, so I had to break the 1 week rule to help him get the rest of it off.
He's an absolute joy to handle though. No tail rattling or striking or anything. Was happy enough to let me work away.

Kellog, cheers for the tip about the flash. I'm a smoker so there's plenty of Rizla about Don't worry though I never smoke around my snakes.

I am so pleased that your corn (name??) shed ok. I know it wasnt a complete full shed and you had to break the one-week rule, but you had no choice and you did the right thing .

Did you use the damp towel method? Never try and 'pick' off retained shed as it can damage the new scales.

It is great he handled so well, especially under those circumstances....sounds like you have a friendly corn there!

Echo Rich's comment....smoking not only bad for snakes but bad for their owners too !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  08:40:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea Kellog I used a damp towel. I let my two year old nephew name the snake. Apparently he's called Sid :) I quite like it!

1.0.0 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000