Nerves Corn Hatchlings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

55 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  11:36:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought my latest corn hatchling yesterday and after getting home last night and i picking it up from its traveling tub to put it in its new home, it went into crazy escape mode and was trying its hardest to get away. It was bought from a local breeder and i presume it wont have been handled that much, she is approx 4 months old and looks stunning. It buried itself underneath the tissue paper substrate which was under a pretty heavy hide so needed to be moved, upon moving the hide it again was very nervous and rattled at me
The first corn i got was much more relaxed, but was from a shop and i presume it was handled more often then my lastest pet. Im hoping that after a few more handling sessions it will carm down so do you guys think the same?

1.0.0 Bloodred, Shampy
0.1.0 Hypo Lavender, Callisto
1.0.0 Avalanche
0.1.0 Ghost Bloodred
0.1.0 Platinum
1.1.0 Blizzard Geckos
0.1.0 Herman's Tortoise
0.1.0 Millie Cat
0.1.0 Netherlands Rabbit
0.0.1 Roborovski Hamster

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  12:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leave him to settle in for 7 days mate,

No feeding or handling.

Then try to handle after that. It should get used to you in time.

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  12:32:00  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Prob hasnt been handled much. As Gaz says leave it for seven days with no handling or feeding and introduce it to your smell by putting your hands in the viv and straighten out the substate etc. It will come round eventually. The thing to do is not be nervous when you start to handle it and NO sudden movements. If you are nervous or move suddenlly the snake will pick up on it so measureed moves.

Good luck

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  12:36:54  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My casper was very nervous when i first got her. When moving her from her travel tub into her faun she was very nervous and trying to get away, but she started to get used to my smell in the week of no contact and now has calmed down significantly. I have had her for around 3 weeks now and handle her everyday, accept for after a feed.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  13:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz_1989

Leave him to settle in for 7 days mate,

No feeding or handling.

Then try to handle after that. It should get used to you in time.

Gaz

Agree with this. Your snake had probably got nice and secure under the tissue and then you dug him/her back out, I'd be pretty miffed too!!!

Follow Gaz's advice, and then start gentle, short handling sessions. Some people like to put a used sock or a glove into the viv to let the snake get used to your smell, I don't have any opinions on whether or not this works, I've never tried it!!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  21:22:55  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah Elijah was really skittish when I got him, but what I do with ALL new animals regardless of how often they have been handled is if possible, put the whole travelling box in the enclosure then let the animal come out in it's own time. Well except my fishes, I don't think they would attemtp to jump from an acclimation bag into the tank

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  21:37:03  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
LittleMick u be worried if they jumped into a fryer rather than a tank

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  22:33:31  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it will take more than 'a few handling sessions', your hatchling is showing natural behaviour so will take quite a few months (at least) before he calms down

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  22:53:47  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newsnakekeeper

LittleMick u be worried if they jumped into a fryer rather than a tank

Batter the fishes then let them jump in to the fryer

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2010 :  04:54:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

it will take more than 'a few handling sessions', your hatchling is showing natural behaviour so will take quite a few months (at least) before he calms down

Definitely agree with you Eeji (unsurprisingly cos you are one of the corn Masters!! *bows repectfully*)

It is going to take time and it will be a case of handling quality rather than quantity. I have taken on a snake that was obviously not handled well or often by its previous owner, and who is approx 3.5yrs old. Have had him for nearly a month now and handle him twice a day, building up slowly from just 5 minutes to maximum of 20 minutes now as long as he isnt showing signs of stress. He has calmed down and doesnt try to escape when I go to pick him out of his viv, but he is still very quick and I am sure that if I let him he would be out of my hands and disappearing under the furniture at the slightest chance.....which is why he isnt given that chance. I have even noticed that he regresses slightly in his 'handlability' (if there is such a word ) when I have had to leave him for the 48hrs after a feed.

It is a shame you disturbed it once it was in its new home. May have chosen under the hide because that is where it felt safest, and dont think it would have come to any harm.

Just do as the others have said, leave it for the required 7 days, making sure all your movements to change the water and spot clean are slow and gentle....without going anywhere near it so it doesnt feel threatened. Then you can begin to handle it....but just take it very slow and dont show any nerves. I always think that fiddling with the substrate before you attempt to get the snake out is a good idea cos that way you are warning it that you are there and you are also getting its smell on you.

Let us know how you get on.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000