New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  21:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am hopefully going to help you set up your snakes living quarters!

Size of enclosuer

You corn snake will require adequat room to move around, and do his thing. it is strongly recomended that you buy your set up BEFORE introducing snakey to sort out any heating or anything like that if any problems should arise.

The general rule is that X LENGTH + Y WIDTH = MAX LENGTH OF SNAKE whatever these values maybe. I have found younger corns are more active and adult corns are lazy sods!

If you buy a hatchling corn, a small glass tank or faunarium will do him fine. Glass tanks are refered to as terrariums and plastic are called faunariums or fauns. These are readily available and cheap but some have problems with heating, gettting the adequat temp.

These can be bought here; http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productsubcategories.php?SubCategoryID=20 with you chosing the appropaite size!

Okay, next thing, your snakes going to need something to lay on! Aspen, beech chippings, newspaper, or kitchen roll are favourites, holding temperatures well, cheap and readily available. Many allow your snake to burrow but I recomend kitchen roll for starting out with a young hatchie as aspen and chippings can be rough on the soft belly scales!

Next, he's going to need some hides! These can be the exo terra caves or toilet rolls and cereal boxes. he will need a hide he can fit into and feel nice and cozy nothing stupidly oversized, a nice snug fit will help him feel nice and secure!

Now, this isn't ESSENTIAL but it may make your habitat nicer, and snakey will feel more secure with these, plastic or silk plants are fairly cheap and allow snakey to hide and climb in.

Next up is a a piece of wood. treated of course, stripped of bark, bathed in bleach for a day and thoroughly rinsed and dried (in the oven if it will fit) which will aid there shedding!

Also, a waterbowl is essential, big enough to have a dip in but not big enough as he can tip this over.

ESSENTIAL! YOUR SNAKE NEEDS THERMOSTATICALLY CONTROLLED HEAT OVERWISE HE CAN OVERHEAT AND BURN TO DEATH!
these can be bought here, http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=1830&ProductGroupID=931
also a heatmat that takes up about 1/3, or 1/2 of the floor will be ESSENTIAL too! Please size these appropiate to your enclouser however I have found that bigger heatmats acheive heat much better.
http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productsubcategories.php?SubCategoryID=203

a thermometer! I personally think the dial ones are utter trash, get AT LEAST ONE digital LCD aquarium thermometer for the hot end, the cool end of the tank will be fine at room temp but it's still good practise to know the temp of this too!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Water-LCD-Screen-Digital-Thermometer_W0QQitemZ130359421597QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item1e5a06ea9d

When your snake outgrows his faun eventually, many people tend to buy a three foot x two foot wooden tank, or vivarium. this will last your corn for life, as they will rarely get over 5ft, but if he gets to 5ft4 he will still be okay! when you buy this, your snake will be relatively small compared to the tank, so make sure you pack it out with silk/plastic plants, maybe some artifical vines if you feel the need to make it fancy, or you could just cut up some cereal boxes or toilet roll tubes for him to hide in!

Hope you learnt a thing from this, thought I might aswell start my time back off to an inventive post! Let me know what you think, feel free to add anything if I have missed it!

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  21:36:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
d;oh! I forgot to add subtitles for decor, and heating..

whoopse and I can't edit it..
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  21:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not bad Tom

quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

IIf you buy a hatchling corn, a small glass tank or faunarium will do him fine. Glass tanks are refered to as terrariums and plastic are called faunariums or fauns. These are readily available and cheap but some have problems with heating, gettting the adequat temp.

A terrarium is anything that houses animals or plants, not just glass tanks.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  21:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hehe same thing

I would like to highlight the following.

ESSENTIAL! YOUR SNAKE NEEDS THERMOSTATICALLY CONTROLLED HEAT OVERWISE HE CAN OVERHEAT AND BURN TO DEATH!

these can be bought here, http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=1830&ProductGroupID=931

You will need to place the sensor on the thermostat in one of two places, if the heatmat is OUTSIDE the viv, such as fauns or glass tanks, the probe will need to be taped to the mat and temperature taken from the digital thermometer and set accordingly. However when the heatmat is inside the viv, the probe will need to go on the substrate that covers the heatmat as this is where the snake will get his heat from!

also a heatmat that takes up about 1/3, or 1/2 of the floor will be ESSENTIAL too! Please size these appropiate to your enclouser however I have found that bigger heatmats acheive heat much better.

ALSO FINALLY THE LAST ESSENTIAL PIECE OF KIT;

a thermometer! I personally think the dial ones are utter trash, get AT LEAST ONE digital LCD aquarium thermometer for the hot end, the cool end of the tank will be fine at room temp but it's still good practise to know the temp of this too!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Water-LCD-Screen-Digital-Thermometer_W0QQitemZ130359421597QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item1e5a06ea9d

Edited by - hillzi on 18/01/2010 21:57:25
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  21:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Not if you're using bulb heating

Edited by - matty18714 on 18/01/2010 21:58:01
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  22:02:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mats are more common but if you do use lighting, the heatbulb will be installed, have a guard put over it, and use a dimming stat to controll and dim the light when too hot, and lighten up when too cool, and probe posistioned in the area your'e going to heating, like with the heatmat, on the surface where the snakes going to get his heat from.

heat lamps are good for heating, but since corn snakes get their heat mainly from their bellys and don't tend to bask in the sun they hide away, the mat will be more ideal. Lights are only used if you struggle to get the temps up.

THEY MUST MUST MUST BE GAURDED AND STATTED BEFORE YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT TURNING THEM ON!

Edited by - hillzi on 18/01/2010 22:03:06
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  06:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you hoping this may be put up as a sticky Hillzi?

Want me to correct your spelling and grammar??!!

You say about buying setup before snake, which is great, but would suggest a week at least to allow for time to spot trouble (otherwise newbies might feel days are enough).

Length of viv + width of viv = max length of snake....people may get confused with X and Y!!!

Big add for 888reps!!!! Is that allowed?!!

Could do with mentioning depth of substrate if using aspen or beech....

No mention of the need for 2 hides, one at each end.

Would have thought heating needs to be top of info as most important...not after hides and silk plants.

No mention of the need for a hot and cold end, which a newbie might not realise (know this is obvious but sometimes the obvious needs stating)

With lights you also need to mention that they need to be turned off at night to replicate day/night...so therefore there is a temp drop.

(You did ask us to let you know what we thought )

xxx

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  19:22:25  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Big add for 888reps!!!! Is that allowed?!!

Hell yeah

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  20:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did it in order I set mine up. Otherwise heat couldv'e been obstructed by a plant (you know what I mean)

@ the sticky comment () Nope, had nothing else better to do...

thanks for the critism Kellog, prefered you to tell me what you think instead of lie about it
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  21:32:49  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just thought I would add a viv lock is also a good idea to have especially if you have children in the house or cats that can open doors. Corns are brilliant escape artists so if you do go for a tank instead of a viv make sure it has a tight fitting lid that can be fastened down. Finally wether it be tank or viv make sure its well ventilated as the last thing you want is high humidity.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  00:08:49  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nice job Hillzi mate :)

2 hides = barest minimum, the more the better ;) - the fake plants bit covers this nicely :)

if someone is using a light bulb for heat, firstly 'why???' and secondly where does night time warmth come from?

a small enclosure isn't really essential for small snakes so long as theres plenty of cover

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  16:16:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks. I was gonna do a tighwad version and a big spender one, but cba..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000