Angry Corn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  05:27:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My lovely corn seems to hate me - he is always trying to nip me, and he has succeeded many times. I've tried a couple things but now I'm getting to be afraid to put my hand in the cage.. Help?

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  05:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If we can help we will Sunny, but to do that we need a lot more information....like how long you have had him, his age, viv set up including size, temps etc, how often you handle him and how you do it, what have you tried....anything you can think of that will help us work out why he is being so nippy.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  06:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, thanks. I've had him for about three years now (four in December), and he's turning five sometime this year. The viv is roughly 3 ft long, 1.5 ft wide, and 1.5 ft tall. The heating mat temp is roughly 90 degrees Fahrenheit so the viv must be about 80-85 degrees. Lately I've been handling him less (I'm a wimp) but I used to just hold him and let him slither around. I've attempted the basic "lower your clean hand in front of him very, very slowly" thing, but he coiled up into striking position, so I put my socks in to let him get used to the smell. I feed him in the viv - I heard it was okay? - and he may not be a he at all, I haven't checked (and don't know how).
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  07:35:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you actually have a thermometer inside actually checking the temps?

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  10:25:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has he behaved like this for the entire 3 years that you have had him or has there been a change in behaviour?

You definitely need to check the temps in the viv to make sure it is not getting too hot. The thermometers need to be measuring the temp at substrate level as that is where the snake will be getting its heat from. A heat mat reaching 90oF doesnt sound right at all.

What do you mean by 'lowering your clean hand'? When you go to pick him up you should be calm and make no sudden moves. It may be worthwhile to fiddle with the substrate before you go to pick him up as it warns him that you are in his viv and also gets his smell onto your hands. You then need to pick him up firmly in 2 hands, each hand about a third and two thirds down his body. I know you are scared of him, but he will pick up that fear so you need to act confident even if you dont feel it.

Does he strike at you when you change his water and clean his viv?

When you have him out of the viv how does he behave?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  16:11:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got a new thermometer and it measures the temp within a large radius. It is directly above the heating mat, though and reads the temperature at 90oF.

I lower my hand in very, very slowly and wait roughly 15 seconds between each movement - he still goes into striking position and I've gotten bit several times.

He attempts to bite every time my hand goes into the cage (or, actually, any time my hand goes near the cage at all).

When he is out of the viv he seems to act rather put off, and flails about for a while. He settles down a bit afterwards.

Thank you so much, everyone!
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  16:18:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your mat is too hot- I work in celcius, so your mat needs to be taken down to 27-29 c, asap. Do you have a thermostat attached to the mat? If not, they are ESSENTIAL, get one. Too much heat can cause extreme stress and over activity.

By feeding him in the viv (as many people do) your corn may have learnt that hands mean dinner. In future, put him in a separate, secure container to feed him, and let his dinner go down for at least 10 minutes before putting him back in his viv nice and gently.

With regard to the hand thing, I think you are moving a little too slowly. Your hesitation may be causing your snake to become edgy, hence why he bites. Put on some thick gardening gloves, go in confidently and quietly, and just pick him up. Keep handling sessions short to avoid stress.

Good luck!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  16:44:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much, everyone, for all the help! :-) You guys are amazing, kudos to all.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000