New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jbarnes92
Egg

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  14:50:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all im new to the forum and am considering buying a new cornie :) im just wondering for a new born would this be too big and intimidating for it? its a nice viv to go in my room but is it any good for the cornie?
all comments appreciated!

Lowestoft, Suffolk

Hunter - Jungle Carpet Python
3 Corn Snakes
Murphy - Black Labrador [ R.I.P ;( ]
Meg - Black Labrador
Rhea - Sprocker Spaniel
Jack - Rotty / Labrador
Trigger - Tabby Cat

jbarnes92
Egg

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  14:51:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/vivariums-416/vivariums-572/vivexotic-36in-vivarium-walnut-61756.html

Lowestoft, Suffolk

3 Corn Snakes
Meg - Black Labrador
Rhea - Sprocker Spaniel
Jack - Rotty / Labrador
Trigger - Tabby Cat
Go to Top of Page

Paul Hume
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  14:56:32  Show Profile  Visit Paul Hume's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of the more experienced keepers will be along soon but I think that it would be too big for a hatchling. I keep both of mine in plastic Fauns which are allot smaller than the one you were thinking.

As far as I'm aware the best bet is to increase the size of the Faun / Viv according to how your snake grows. I am planning on using RUB's (Really Useful Box) which are the plastic storage boxes until they are big enough to go in to a full size viv like that one.

oh .... and welcome to the forum, you will find all the members here really friendly and helpful. Just make sure you remember the only stupid questions are the ones you dont ask :0)

Our House:
2 x Carolina Corns
1 x Snow Corn
1 x Amel Corn
1 x Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

jbarnes92
Egg

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  15:00:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay thanks for the advice, when you say really useful box, is it any sort of plastic box a certain size or is it specially made bought in pets shops?

and about the stupid questions i will try keep them to a minimal ;)

Lowestoft, Suffolk

3 Corn Snakes
Meg - Black Labrador
Rhea - Sprocker Spaniel
Jack - Rotty / Labrador
Trigger - Tabby Cat
Go to Top of Page

Paul Hume
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  15:43:45  Show Profile  Visit Paul Hume's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello, Like I say there are no such things as stupid questions, you like the rest of us just want to do whats best for your snake.

RUB's are just see through plastic storage boxes with lids that fasten on. You can get them from shops like Staples and even tesco and places like that. All you need to do is drill the air hols in them and then your sorted. Obviously still need the heat mat, stat and all the other things.

I think if you use the search function on here then there are a few threads that are all about setting up RUB's.

I have two Hatclings, one is 6 months and the other is 3 months and I have put a picture below of what I keep them in at the moment. I have also put a picture of a RUB set up (Not mine I found it on google) just to give you an Idea:

Mine: (PT-2310)

RUB:

Our House:
2 x Carolina Corns
1 x Snow Corn
1 x Amel Corn
1 x Royal Python

Edited by - Paul Hume on 17/01/2010 15:44:59
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  16:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that viv would be alright for a full grown corn but unfortunately too big for a hatchie.. if you got that big viv you could section it off and then increase the size as snakey grows, a viv that size could house a 4ft snake, the general rule is width + length = size of snake..

those fauns are great - all my hatchies are in them and one of my royals was aswell

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  17:11:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
like hannah sed, if you got that 3ft viv you could partition it off and gradually give it more space but i prefer using rubs, the faunariums, that wat i am going to do, get 2 fauns and get 2 snakes in them then wen they need to move up in size buy a 4ft viv and partition it off in half so that each snake has 2ft then once they have outgrown 2ft get another 4ft viv and partition it off to 3ft each then eventually wen full grwon they get 4ft of space. svaes you buying a 2ft, then a 3ft then a 4ft but that way you have more vivs which gives you a reason for more reptiles, now i have a dilema, spend more money but more reptiles or go the cheap route. prob cheap route for me as i am only 14 so dont earn money.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

jbarnes92
Egg

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  21:32:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
once again guys cheers for your help i really appreciate it.. really looking forward to it all now :)

Lowestoft, Suffolk

3 Corn Snakes
Meg - Black Labrador
Rhea - Sprocker Spaniel
Jack - Rotty / Labrador
Trigger - Tabby Cat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly