HI all and a big thank you
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  12:15:44  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all. I just wanted to say a big thank you to all who helped me with a problem last year...
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6843
I havent been on here since as I moved house over christmas and havent had internet untill now.
Those of you that helped were indeed correct Colin had scale seperation from eating a meal too large during shed and after following your advice of reducing the meal size and feeding a little more frequently i am pleased to say colin has made a complete recovery and is now back to his old self.
I am due next week to take on another corn who's name is candy and has had a rather poor start to her life. She was born in april of last year and did not eat at all until she was taken on by her current keeper and force fed on the 4th of december. She got into a regular feeding pattern but seemed to need help to feed. Her skin was all wrinkly then on around the 10th of January after frequent baths and a humidity increase shed twice in one go which I have learned whilst not unheard of is quite rare. Since then she now has no trouble feeding and is devouring two small pinkies in a single sitting with no trouble. As a consequence she was underweight and under developed but we are hoping she is over the worst. I guess only time and shedding will reveal just how recovered she is but I am hoping she will make a full recovery. Her skin is now beatiful and how it should be and her markings spectacular. I am intending to home her in a 24" viv with a set up the same as Colins as this works for him so should for her.
I just wanted to say thank you to all of you that offered advice and to say what a brilliant forum this is.

Cheers

Steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  16:35:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so glad little Colin is better now

and fingers crossed little Candy settles in well - well done for giving her a new home

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  22:45:12  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome back

i was wondering from your username were you 'element' before?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  03:14:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Stephen, I am so pleased that Colin is doing so much better. It is nice to know our advice helps sometimes !! I know you had moved him back down to hoppers having tried his with a medium mouse, what is he on now? What is his weight? It must be such a relief to you to have him back to his old self .

I am so glad you are taking on Candy. It makes me so angry when I hear of corns being kept in bad conditions and landing up in the poor state she was . At least she was taken on by her current keeper who has been about to force feeder and has gotten her into a regular feeding pattern. Makes me wonder how long she had gone without eating before the 4th Dec.... The fact that she was dehydrated as well is unbelievable, didnt her original owner have eyes to see that she was suggering !!! I am glad the baths and increased humidity worked and she is now shedding well - two sheds in one go must be quite something to watch!

To hear that she is feeding so well now is fantastic and must be such a relief to you and to her current owner. When she was saved from her original owner I would have thought it was touch and go as to whether she would survive ....but now you get to look at her putting on weight, with her beautiful markings. I cant wait to see pics of her.

She is blessed to have an owner like you waiting to take her on. We know how much you cared for Colin by your previous posts on here and your love of corns is also obvious by your willingness to take on Candy.

Welcome back to you and Colin....and welcome to Candy !

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  07:48:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You gooo Steve!!!Fatten that baby up and then after you've done all the work, I'll take her off your hands.
quote:
Originally posted by elament

Hi all. I just wanted to say a big thank you to all who helped me with a problem last year...
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6843
I havent been on here since as I moved house over christmas and havent had internet untill now.
Those of you that helped were indeed correct Colin had scale seperation from eating a meal too large during shed and after following your advice of reducing the meal size and feeding a little more frequently i am pleased to say colin has made a complete recovery and is now back to his old self.
I am due next week to take on another corn who's name is candy and has had a rather poor start to her life. She was born in april of last year and did not eat at all until she was taken on by her current keeper and force fed on the 4th of december. She got into a regular feeding pattern but seemed to need help to feed. Her skin was all wrinkly then on around the 10th of January after frequent baths and a humidity increase shed twice in one go which I have learned whilst not unheard of is quite rare. Since then she now has no trouble feeding and is devouring two small pinkies in a single sitting with no trouble. As a consequence she was underweight and under developed but we are hoping she is over the worst. I guess only time and shedding will reveal just how recovered she is but I am hoping she will make a full recovery. Her skin is now beatiful and how it should be and her markings spectacular. I am intending to home her in a 24" viv with a set up the same as Colins as this works for him so should for her.
I just wanted to say thank you to all of you that offered advice and to say what a brilliant forum this is.

Cheers

Steve

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  09:33:47  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys. First of no i wasnt element before.
Candy believe it or not was in a shop before her current owner was given her by the owner who basically could not be bothered. She hadnt eaten AT ALL her whole life until my freind force fed her on the 4th Decemeber when she was approx 8 months old so it was no wonder she was dehydrated. In the shop she was labelled a problem snake that wouldnt eat and was basically left in a box to die before my freind decided to give her a second chance at life. Between us we basically nursed her back to life as before we interviened she was limp and lifeless and looking like she was at deaths door. He already has too many snakes so he has handed the gauntlet over to me to see if I can finish the job off. When I got her I will take some pics and some new ones of colin and post them on here. Incidently Colin is now not quite so little lol. He is 36" long I dont know bout weight as the battery in my scales has died (must get a new one) I got him back on small mice now and he is happy and content with that.

cheers

steve

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  10:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

.......Candy believe it or not was in a shop before her current owner was given her by the owner who basically could not be bothered. She hadnt eaten AT ALL her whole life until my freind force fed her on the 4th Decemeber when she was approx 8 months old so it was no wonder she was dehydrated. In the shop she was labelled a problem snake that wouldnt eat and was basically left in a box to die before my freind decided to give her a second chance at life.....

I am so shocked by that , for her to go for 8 months from birth without feeding before she was given a chance by your friend is unbelievable. Did the shop not even try to assist feed? Bless you and your friend for not giving up on her ....she is more lucky than other snakes who dont have people who are willing to take on the challenge of a snake that needs help. What weight did she get down to? At least she is now eating - is she feeding on the 2 pinkies with no encouragement needed?

I am sure you are more than capable of taking Candy on, and at least you have got your friend to support you.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  10:49:02  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yep she out of the worst of it now. SHe took the two pinkies with no trouble at all. Before she shed it looked like she was having trouble getting the prey past her throat which was really skinny and at the time wrapped in two skins so it wasnt suprising. Dunno bout weight as my freind dont have scales but in the pics he sent me she looked terrible. For want of a better description from above she looked like a sperm cell. Now she gobbles pinkies down with no trouble or assisatance and is already showing signs of putting the weight back on. Cant really say too much about the shop for obvious reasons but no they just left her to die. As i understand it tried a few of the obvious things to get her to eat then just gave up on her for dead.
Some people eh

Cheers

Steve

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  19:20:12  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
elament am pleased u have managed to get the snake eating and u have done all that u can for it

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  22:39:29  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi elament. I am so pleased that you and your friend have managed to turn such a sad story of neglect into a much more positive outcome. I wish you all the luck in the world when you bring Candy home and can't wait to see the photos of her progress.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  10:27:38  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I will keep you all posted on Candys progress (no doubt i will be leaning on some of you for advice in the future) and when she has had a week or two to settle in I will take some pics and post them on here. I must admit its all a bit daunting because Colin was my first corny and when i got him he was already 30" long and a year old so I am used to bigger corns. Colin has been a breeze, has gobbled up everything I have thrown at him and more so with such a small snake with baggage I know its going to be a lot harder but since even before I got colin I been basically digesting everything I could gleen from the net (especially this site) and have learned loads. Candys Viv arrived last night and is now set up and running perfectly so once i been to town and got a suitable sized rub and covered three sides of it i will be ready to go.
Wish me luck

Cheers
Steve

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  18:19:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks guys. I will keep you all posted on Candys progress (no doubt i will be leaning on some of you for advice in the future)
Lean all you want, that is what we are there for!!

.....when she has had a week or two to settle in I will take some pics and post them on here.
Cant wait to see pics of her, but am glad you will give her the time to settle in before subjecting her to her first photo shoot!! Would be interested to see any pics of her when she was first taken on by your friend, to be able to track her development.

I must admit its all a bit daunting because Colin was my first corn...... with such a small snake with baggage I know its going to be a lot harder but since even before I got colin I been basically digesting everything I could gleen from the net (especially this site) and have learned loads.
I know how daunting it must be. I have just taken on Silvesta, who is much bigger than Candy and without the feeding problems, but he had not been handled correctly and was very feisty. He was also underweight. But because of the support I have got from here and the experience I have gained with Kellog I have felt able to deal with him....and I know where I will turn immediately if I need help!

Candys Viv arrived last night and is now set up and running perfectly so once i been to town and got a suitable sized rub and covered three sides of it i will be ready to go.
Well done for getting her viv set up and running, and I am so glad you are getting the RUB and following the advice about covering the 3 sides....well done.

Wish me luck
You dont need luck....you know what you are doing and you have us when you need help, so trust yourself (and us!!)

Cheers
Steve

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  18:08:56  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kellog nice to know I aint alone

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000