New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  20:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
This may seem a strange question but does any one know what age is best for a first corn snake.I cant seem to find much info on this.
My local reptile pet shop sells different ages and i think i would prefer a baby/hatchling snake so i can see it growing up. On the other hand if a baby is more suited to a more experienced keeper i will go for an older snake. I know that im best to keep him/her in a small RUB or faun if i get a baby so he (for now) will feel more sercure. Should experience be a factor in my decision?

0.1 Amel stripe corn snake
0.1 Normal Royal
1.0 Bearded dragon - Spam
Female mixed breed dog - Sunny

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  20:19:06  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would say if you are less experienced you would be better off with a hatchling. This way they can get used to you nice and quick, if it does strike at you which it may you don't feel it. You get to see it grow up and see how its patterns and colours begin to change. They are easier to handle although they can be pretty quick and they are generally cheaper.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  20:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its up to you..
as ive only got hatchling corns id go with hatchling but those who got adult corns first would say adult or juvie.. there are pros and cons for each..

with adult corns they are often more likely to come with a comprehensive feeding and shedding record than hatchlings..

but its down to you..do you want a snake that you can see grow and change or are you happy with getting one that will probably need only 1 viv while its with you and has already developed all its colours?

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  20:56:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

its up to you..
as ive only got hatchling corns id go with hatchling but those who got adult corns first would say adult or juvie.. there are pros and cons for each..

with adult corns they are often more likely to come with a comprehensive feeding and shedding record than hatchlings..

but its down to you..do you want a snake that you can see grow and change or are you happy with getting one that will probably need only 1 viv while its with you and has already developed all its colours?

i would definately prefer a hatchling, i want the full experience my fist time .
I just wasnt sure as for my beardie i was recommended to get a juvie as babies need a more experienced keeper. Thanx for the replies

0.1 Amel stripe corn snake
0.1 Normal Royal
1.0 Bearded dragon - Spam
Female mixed breed dog - Sunny
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  22:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would go for a hatchling, both you and it will grow together.
I bought Sid as a hatchling and he has grown up with me as his companion.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  23:02:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must admit that it is down to personal preference and to what you feel you can handle. When you take on a juvinile or adult you have a history of them as feeders/shedders and they have hopefully been tamed down enough for you to gain experience handling a corn and looking after one.

It does mean you miss out on seeing them grow from hatchlings and 'learning with them'....but I personally would rather learn by myself with an older snake and be more experienced before I got a hatchling that needed to learn as it grows - I guess that what I am saying is that it is better to put a newbie owner with an experienced snake rather than a newbie owner and a newbie snake.

I know majority of forum members probably dont agree with this as they have started with hatchlings and therefore have experience of that, whereas I started with an adult and am very pleased with that decision. Having now got a not-so-tame 3yr old it has given me some idea of what it must be like handling a scared fast hatchling, although I can never imagine handling anything that small.

I know I would rather take on a proven feeder and shedder to gain my experience and then get a hatchling once I felt I knew what I was doing...but that is always assuming I will get the chance to get that hatchling!

(sorry if this is not making sense and is rambling a bit...major brain fog and too tired!! )

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  12:42:01  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
purely personal preference...........
i bought my first two snakes as adults - established feeders and great for being handled

i've since bought juvies/yearlings and had home-bred hatchies and i STILL prefer dealing with adult corns. hatchies are too fast and too fiddly, they can also change colour quite dramatically and what looks lovely as a baby might just look plain as an adult.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  12:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've enjoyed watching Snickers grow from her little piece of thread with a head attached to what she is now. I would not trade that experience for anything. I do know however, that I will probably try to get an older corn next time, since I know some kids outgrow their snakes and the parents don't know what to do with them. My heart is big enough to adopt one of these. At 53 i dont' need to be buying a baby hatchling any more, but I know Snickers will not be my last snake.
quote:
Originally posted by spam08

Hi
This may seem a strange question but does any one know what age is best for a first corn snake.I cant seem to find much info on this.
My local reptile pet shop sells different ages and i think i would prefer a baby/hatchling snake so i can see it growing up. On the other hand if a baby is more suited to a more experienced keeper i will go for an older snake. I know that im best to keep him/her in a small RUB or faun if i get a baby so he (for now) will feel more sercure. Should experience be a factor in my decision?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  17:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we decided to get a corn snake i said to my other half i didn't want to get a tiny one, i'd be so worried about handling it as them seem so fragile. We've been told Ossie is about a year old and to me personally he was the perfect size to start with.
I suppose it's down to what suits you personally tho.

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  02:43:41  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, all my animals have been babies when I got them, so I can't comment on getting an adult. But I have photos of my Elle (Leopard Gecko) when she was a baby to what she is now, and it's great, when ever I get the snaps up and just a have a cheesy grin on my face . I just don't think you can beat the experience of watching them grow up. Butas some of the other members have said there are pros and cons. Hatchies can be skittish and if they want to get away from a handling sesion they certainly will try. Butonce you get used to how they move it shouldn't be a problem.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  05:02:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

purely personal preference...........
i bought my first two snakes as adults - established feeders and great for being handled

i've since bought juvies/yearlings and had home-bred hatchies and i STILL prefer dealing with adult corns. hatchies are too fast and too fiddly, they can also change colour quite dramatically and what looks lovely as a baby might just look plain as an adult.

Was very interested to read your opinion GP, especially as it follows along the lines of my own.

I think what may influence a new snake owners decision (before they become caught by the corn addiction ) is whether this is going to be their one and only snake. If it is then I can understand the desire to want a hatchling and to experience them growing up from a baby to an adult. But if there is the chance that they may get more than one corn then I still feel the best place to learn is to start with an adult. The problem, of course, is we always start off planning on only having one and look at where some of us have ended up .

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  12:36:53  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that's a good point about whether it's intended to be an only snake.........

it's so easy to buy and house a hatchie, and quickly buy another 1, 2, 4 or whatever when the bug bites BUT what about housing them when they get older and bigger? that's a lot of vivs and a lot of equipment to buy!

i personally don't see the appeal of hatchies, i REALLY don't like dealing with them lol and don't miss seeing them grow up either. i think my liking for adult corns started my interest in larger species like my boas but each to their own

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000