how long do you keep your mice for??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bilbo
Hatchling

United Kingdom
426 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  21:48:13  Show Profile  Visit Bilbo's Homepage  Click to see Bilbo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi just wanted to ask if there is a limit on the time you can keep mice and rats in the freezer? also do any of you frred you snakes chicks as a treat??? cause i was thinking about getting some but didnt know if it was good to chop and change and if you do give you snakes chicks do you take the beak off the chick??

thanks..

2 male corns (Bilbo and roger)
1 female corn (lizzie)
2 dogs westies (jock & morag)
5 mirror carp
3 common carp
3 tench
5 gold fish

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  21:51:47  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
o.o never thought about that but then I never have more than 2 weeks supply of mice or pinkies in my freezer. Was thinking about getting chicks as a change for ginger but wasn't sure about that one.

1.0.0 Snow Motley Corn Snake. (Mouse)
1.0.0 Amel Corn Snake. (Ginger)
0.2.0 Chinese Crested Dogs. (Skeebee & Yuki)
0.1.0 Bullmastiff x American Bulldog (Tsukira)
1.1.0 Ferrets. (Spike & Buffy)
0.2.0 Aylesbury Ducks. (Crispy & Nibbles)

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  21:54:39  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
rodents can be kept in the freezer for a year. chicks are very big so would need to be a good sized corn and they have hardley any nutritional value

Go to Top of Page

Bilbo
Hatchling

United Kingdom
426 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  21:56:14  Show Profile  Visit Bilbo's Homepage  Click to see Bilbo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i was just asking cause i can get the chicks very cheap lol but didnt know if its safe to feed them the beak.. plus it works out so much cheaper if you buy in bolk also i have got a freezer now for the shed so the wife will not go mad when i buy like 100 mice and rats..

1 female corn (lizzie)
5 mirror carp
3 common carp
3 tench
5 gold fish
Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  21:57:04  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sexychef

rodents can be kept in the freezer for a year. chicks are very big so would need to be a good sized corn and they have hardley any nutritional value

Agreed.
Chicks can be useful for scenting pray in the case of non feeding corns but as mice hold all the nutritional value that corns need there is no need to feed chicks.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

Bilbo
Hatchling

United Kingdom
426 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  21:57:32  Show Profile  Visit Bilbo's Homepage  Click to see Bilbo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the chicks would be for the python for now untill the corns are alot bigger..

1 female corn (lizzie)
5 mirror carp
3 common carp
3 tench
5 gold fish
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  22:13:04  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
dont feed pythons chicks they get addicted and dont take mice. but i bulk buy 6months worth of food at a time would do more but dont have enough freezer space

Edited by - sexychef on 11/01/2010 22:13:49
Go to Top of Page

Bilbo
Hatchling

United Kingdom
426 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  22:26:06  Show Profile  Visit Bilbo's Homepage  Click to see Bilbo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i was thinking on buying 50 fuzzie mice 50 small mice and 20 small rats dont think i would bother with the chicks.. this lot is for 4 snakes 3 corns and 1 python should last abit. for this lot do you think £9.99 p&p is a good price??? plus £2.00 for dry-ice.

1 female corn (lizzie)
5 mirror carp
3 common carp
3 tench
5 gold fish
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  22:29:06  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
TSM yes great company easy to deal with and great delievery

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  22:31:01  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I always thought that corn snakes were primarily rodent eaters.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  22:33:43  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
there natural diet will change in the wild to what they can find but in captivity rodents have all the nutrional values a corn needs

Go to Top of Page

Bilbo
Hatchling

United Kingdom
426 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  23:04:47  Show Profile  Visit Bilbo's Homepage  Click to see Bilbo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
cool nice to know that others have used them and that they are good.. i think i will order this lot and see how i get on.. all my snakes are very good eaters and have never missed a feed so far so i think it will al get used... thanks guys..

1 female corn (lizzie)
5 mirror carp
3 common carp
3 tench
5 gold fish
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2010 :  04:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always buy 10 mice at a time.
That is 10 mice for each of the baby mice and 10 for both the larger two.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000