New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  19:17:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everybody. Saracen came to me on beech chips but when I went to my local reptile shop to get more, the stuff they stock is MUCH finer grained. Is it safe to use a smaller grained chip with a young snake? (I think he's about 14 - 18 months old, 26 inches long). I will feed him outside of the viv but don't want to risk him ingesting anything that could harm him whilst he's moving about his viv.

Alternatively will it be OK to change him to aspen or is it better to keep the substrate he's been used to most of his life?

Cheers all

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  19:28:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
smaller beach chippings won't be a problem i don't think, especially if you don't feed in the viv and changing the substrate won't be a problem either, might make a nice change for him
but i think you had better wait for the more knowledable to have a gander at your question

edit - spelling and added in a bit more

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix

Edited by - n/a on 11/01/2010 19:34:27
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  19:31:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think it will be ok to get the smaller grain stuff, and i will also be ok to change substrates, i changed montys five times. first he was on chips, then aspen, then chips, then i had a full bag of aspen and half a bag of chips so i used half a bag of aspen in montys cage then mixed the chips and aspen, then wen he got chnaged again it was chips and aspen.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  20:03:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Chrissy said the smaller beach chips will be fine as long as your not feeding in the viv for any reason but thats not your only option. Most corns will have no problem with you changing their substrate, it can even be quite enriching for them to have a change every now and again.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  05:53:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would think Saracen might like the change to the smaller beech chips and even more so to aspen as I would assume it will be easier for him to burrow in them than he is in the beech chips he is on at the moment. Both mine are on aspen and regularly disappear out of sight...which is fine with Kellog as I have no worries about escape but still gives me a heart-stopping moment with Silvesta as, although I know there is no way he can escape from viv, I know he would escape if he could!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  08:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, thanks guys. I think I'll try the aspen. I don't see much of Saracen at the mo anyway as he's always hiding so I may NEVER see him buried in aspen.

Thermostat question now (sorry) - he came with a Habistat MatStat (which doesn't have any temps marked on it) and which allows the temp as read by his digital thermometer to fluctuate up to 5 or 6 degrees centigrade constantly throughout the day. This is a way bigger temp difference than Twilight's MatStat which has the temps marked on the dial and only fluctuates about 2 degrees.

Is this normal or does it mean the thermostat is on it's way out? When a thermostat breaks, does it just stop working completely or can it start messing with the temps like this?

Cheers, Sam

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000