Abuse?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  13:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

A friend who knows nothing about snakes sent me the following link thinking I would like it.

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=TTEKlw4C2U4

Well, I didn't and I'm wondering if I should complain about the woman in the clip to the local equivalent of the RSPCA for causing the snakes physical and emotional stress .

Am I right in thinking she's abusing the snakes or am I being over sensitive?

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  13:27:02  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well i guess its just exploiting animals. They shouldnt be treating them like that really, i couldnt imagine she treats the snakes too well in their vivs either. i dont like the look of it but let someone else come along.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  13:34:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say that the ladies actions are causing stress to the snakes, and so it is abuse. Also felt a little sorry for the mice.

However, their living conditions may be lovely, but I doubt it. Not sure what you could do about it, being in a another country and all...

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  14:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope those snakes get their own back and poo all over everyone that goes for one of those massages, i know Ossie would if he was being handled for that long, lol.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  16:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye

Im not supporting it, but if you handle your snake you're putting it under the same stress. Would you consider it abuse?

Edited by - matty18714 on 11/01/2010 16:35:18
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  16:41:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the snakes seem really stressed, especially at 2:20. the snake is getting really stressed and wen she raps them round his feet. harsh handling ro wat.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  18:04:47  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
One of the things that no-one has though about is the social cultural differences.

We may deem it abusive and/or cruel but is it over there?
I've heard a few times of 'snake massages' and I've seen it on the telly as well. I do think it's wrong in a lot of different ways, but can our so called 'civilised' English ways be classed as cruel by others???

Good Vid BTW.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  18:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

One of the things that no-one has though about is the social cultural differences.

We may deem it abusive and/or cruel but is it over there?
I've heard a few times of 'snake massages' and I've seen it on the telly as well. I do think it's wrong in a lot of different ways, but can our so called 'civilised' English ways be classed as cruel by others???

Good Vid BTW.

You are right in considering social and cultural differences, but let's ignore that for now please, what I need from you is to explain why you think it's wrong and in what ways. Can do, please?

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  19:48:09  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There are several reasons why I think it's wrong.
The biggest reason, in my opinion, of why it's wrong is purely because of the different sized snakes being used. The little tiny one that was between the toes could easily be eaten by a larger one.

Basically the reason I think it's wrong is because I wouldn't mix those different sized snakes.
AND I didn't see any King snakes, that's plain discrimination.

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  21:41:55  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Agreed with the above, with the cultural and social differences of these people it probably doesn't constitute abuse or exploitation to them. But to us we have a different set of standards and it would be a worrying thing to do here if say one of our forum members were doing it as a commercial activity all day long with the same snakes in varying sizes, ages and breeds like kehhlyr said.

A lot of actions of the western world is thought of as abuse or exploitation in other cultures however. Scenes like circuses and zoos come to mind as a few cultures feel "imprisoning" animals to captivity is exploitation in its own way.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura

Edited by - lucifer on 11/01/2010 21:42:39
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  22:58:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye

Im not supporting it, but if you handle your snake you're putting it under the same stress. Would you consider it abuse?

I bloomin hope no one here handles their snakes like that!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  23:06:04  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'd have to agree with Matty and Lucifer on this one, I mean where do you start? With that vid, I'd say they are stressed and it's not something I would consider doing or have done to me. Especially that one between the toes, I thought she was gonna wrench it's head off.

But as Lucifer said about animals in captivity, who does this benefit? Is it for us or the animal? I'd have to say that my anger would be directed at people who I see with my own eyes commiting cruelty, i.e, hitting an animal or something, but I'm not an activist and don't go out protesting, so would any letter from me change what that woman does? Especially if she does get any money from it.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

Edited by - LittleMick on 11/01/2010 23:07:08
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  10:34:23  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think its a bit harsh that they have rats really near the snakes. Teasing much!

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  15:26:12  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PunkAsF82

I think its a bit harsh that they have rats really near the snakes. Teasing much!

Strangely enough, something on telly caught my eye a few weeks back.

That program called 'Celebrity In the jungle' or whatever is was called had some has-been reaching into holes in a wall to pick things out and one of the holes had rats in it, then the hole AFTER it had snakes.

Some people do it though, in some ways it could be likened to having a pet hamster/mouse in the same room as your snakes.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2010 :  04:08:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for posting this link Hawkeye, it has brought up an interesting debate.

I have read everyone's opinions and have watched the video a number of times. I can only comment on what I have seen. To me the snakes do not seem to react in a particularly stressed way. A lot of them just lie there or move slowly along the body like Kellog does.... Surely if they were stressed their natural instinct would be to escape, the same way Silvesta did (and still occasionally does) when he is handled. The only real sign of stress I saw was with the smaller snake across the man's neck. I think it just got a bit lost really and didn't know what it was doing, it then paniced for a few seconds and then calmed down.

I do agree with the concerns about the differing sizes and therefore ages of the snakes and the different breeds.

We have no idea about how the snakes are kept or treated other than what we see, so we cannot judge her on that.

I know I am still only a newbie to snake keeping and snake behaviour, so am sure that my opinion is probably going to be contradicted....but I can only comment on what I see and on my experience with my own snakes. And I must admit that I find handling Kellog very theraputic and I accept that it is purely for my own benefit rather than any benefit to him, except as exercise and a break from the captivity of his viv. He shows no signs of stress when I handle him and fights when I try to put him back in the viv....so am I abusing him?

I agree with LittleMick in that my anger would be more towards those who are knowingly subjecting their animals to abuse and neglect either through ignorance or through pure evilness on their part.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2010 :  11:20:06  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
LoL Nice vid

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000