Tank Heating Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  10:56:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had my corn snake for almost 4 months now, and all is going ok so far but I have a question...

My house is quite cold inside, we don't have central heating etc just a coal fire to keep us warm. Therefore the general air temperature inside the vivarium is also fairly cold. I have a heat mat under one side of the viv, the temperature on the substrate is 30*C, but as I said the air temp is fairly cold. We are going through a particularly cold snap here at the minute which just makes it worse, and I rarely see the snake now, she isn't interested in feeding etc. Also, rather than fidning warmth she doesn't go to the hide over the heat mat, she prefers to burrow into the aspen at the cold end.

Is it worth me investing in a heat lamp or something similar to raise the ambient air temperature of the vivarium? Or best to just leave her to it, because when I do see her out and about she seems normal in herself.

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  11:17:37  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If it were me Id get a second mat and stat, and ste it to around 20*c for her cold end. I had a problem with one of my gorls a while ago, she got her self to cold to move and went very litargic (sp) You could also try wrapping a towel round the viv, which is what I have done, and I also moverd her cold end hide closer to the heat mat, She has perked up now and seems fine. Maybe worth a try??
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  21:19:12  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
like DM suggested a 2nd heatmat set to around 20-22*C (on a separate or twin stat) is a quick and easy solution

and insulating the viv with towels or an old duvet works too, especially if it's a glass viv or plastic faun

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 10/01/2010 21:29:22
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  21:28:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i second everything already said but definately put some towels around the viv, i did that in my room and it worked really well.. just put towels around the bottoms and then over the top although if you have the vivs with the ventilation bits on the lid make sure you keep a small section of this clear so it doesnt get really stuffy in there

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000