help! grumpy snake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  17:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i REALLY need help, i have had my snake for a while now and he still strikes any tips? its normally my step mum how has to hold him because im too scared! S.O.S.!

**moved to relevant section**

Diavlo the snake

Edited by - HannahB on 08/01/2010 18:08:14

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  18:06:44  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How long have you had your snake?

I also have a rather grumpy snake, casper is only a hatchling though so the strikes don't hurt. Shes getting used to my smell now so isnt striking as much at me although it strikes whenever my brother and sister go near it lol.

How old is your snake, because if it is only a hatchling i can re assure you although it is a natural reaction to pull your hand away when they strike it dosn't hurt what so ever. Infact i cant think of anything else to compare it to because you litterally don't feel it. If your snake is a bit older you may feel it and it may even break the skin but i doubt very much that it will hurt. You just need to get past the initial nerves.
With handling and with you changing its soiled substrate and water it should get used to your smell and calm down signifficantly.

Casper is already calming down and i have only been handling her a day or so although i can handle her again now as it has been over 48 hours since she ate.

Sorry i meant to edit the first one but quoted it by accident.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 08/01/2010 18:08:00
Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  18:07:22  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wear some gloves round the house for an hour or 2 then drop them in the viv after your done to help him get even more used to your scent. Also you might wear gloves while holding him so you don't feel so nervous holding him.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  18:24:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you act scared when you go to handle him then he will pick up on it and react - if he keeps striking and you keep backing off then hes going to keep striking as he knows it puts you off handling him..

i know its easy to say but the best way to deal with him is just to go for it and pick him up - he will strike but with a lot of patience and love he will settle down
i have a royal called Little One who when i first got him was very snappy and hissy..he would lash out at me even if i was on the other side of the room to his viv, i had to bite the bullet and just go for it - no matter how many times he struck at me.. he made contact once or twice - had some lovely puncture marks about 1.5inches apart on my palm..niiice! but now a few months later hes great - i can handle him no problems..he has a few off days when i catch him in a bad mood but dont we all have off days!?

you have to remember that Diavlo is a tiny corn snake - trust me all the huffin and puffin is just a show - they have tiddly teeth and are more likely to headbut you than make contact..if he does you probably wont even notice he has until after its happened - at most you will get a small pinpoint of blood appear - nothing major though

I also have a blizzard called Zero who is an absolute terror - he has some serious ego issues and everytime one of us goes to handle him we get tagged, even changing water leads to one of us getting a headbut, at the moment we are taking it a day at a time - he seems to get better but then leave him a day or two after feeding and hes snappy again.. i know it doesnt sound good but i know that eventually he will calm down - just going to take a lot of determination and confidence

he will calm down but just remember to act brave even if you are shaking like a leaf inside!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  18:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lucifer

Wear some gloves round the house for an hour or 2 then drop them in the viv after your done to help him get even more used to your scent. Also you might wear gloves while holding him so you don't feel so nervous holding him.

i have tried it already and it failed

Diavlo the snake

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  18:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think its the fact that i havnt fed him

Diavlo the snake

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  18:30:59  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luvbugg

quote:
Originally posted by lucifer

i have tried it already and it failed

You have to keep trying, some snakes take longer to tame than others. Like Hannah says our blizzard - zero was a right evil so and so but you need to have patience and keep at it.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  18:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personaly wouldnt bother with putting clothes in with the snake. If its in a plastic tub, I assume your picking it up from above? Try not to move your hands over the snake. How long have you had it?

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  19:05:04  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The only way you'll get him to calm down is to show more confidence when getting hold of him and maybe take a few hits from him.
If its a young corn cup both your hands over him and then scoop him up, I found this the best method. You will probably still take a few hits from him, but you just have to bite the bullet and go for it.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  19:23:51  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Also, if he is in a viv that is too big for him, he will feel less secure and have more of a reason to be on guard

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  23:07:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi i have the exact same problem with my female cornsnake 3years old. she keeps going to strike me after feeding. i get her out ok onto a towel ,she eats, then when i go to put her back she strikes at me. i have been getting my partner to put her back in her viv. this happens all the time but only after feeding. my partner says if i cant put her away ill have to get rid of her,which breaks my heart as i love her to pieces. people what am i doing wrong? please help
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  23:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Valentina, just put her into a closed box to feed, then leave her 20mins in the box after feeding to relax before you remove her. This should stop her striking at you. Alternatively, put the box directly into the viv, open it, and remove it after the snake has gone.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  00:47:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

hi i have the exact same problem with my female cornsnake 3years old. she keeps going to strike me after feeding. i get her out ok onto a towel ,she eats, then when i go to put her back she strikes at me. i have been getting my partner to put her back in her viv. this happens all the time but only after feeding. my partner says if i cant put her away ill have to get rid of her,which breaks my heart as i love her to pieces. people what am i doing wrong? please help
quote:

If you don't all ready maybe try washing your hand before putting her back in her viv as she might still smell food on your hands and strike for you.
Rich.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  01:22:07  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A lot of snakes will still strike after feeding, that's purely the hunting instinct still there so soon after feeding.
What Matty suggested is the best way to do it, ALL snakes tend to be a bit striky(sp) so soon after eating, it's normal.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  03:21:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luvbugg

i REALLY need help, i have had my snake for a while now and he still strikes any tips? its normally my step mum how has to hold him because im too scared! S.O.S.!

**moved to relevant section**

Lucy, you only got Diavlo on New Year's Eve. You should only have started handling him on the 7th. You havent had him long at all and if you have been handling him since you got him he is going to be stressed as he hasnt had a chance to recover.

A reminder from your welcome section -

quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

1 thing is that you bought the snake yesterday and really you should be leaving it for 7 days. no touching or feeding for 7 days. this lets the snake settle in. you should on really be doing spot cleans and water changes.

quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

snakes can go for months without feeding so missing one feed will not be a problem..
hes probably very nervous but leaving him alone for a week should calm him down a little bit..

quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

As already mentioned there is the one-week rule - no handling or feeding for the first week after getting him. This gives Diavlo time to get over the stress of the move and get used to his new environment. All you should do is change the water daily and straighten the substrate, which means the snake has a chance to get used to your smell.

How many times have you handled him since you got him? If you kept to the one-week rule you can have only handled him once or twice.

If you have been handling him during this period you need to start from the beginning. Maybe give him a feed...then leave him for a week to settle in, only putting your hand in viv to change water and fiddle with substrate. I know you have tried putting an item of clothing in, but how long have you left it in? The best suggestion I have heard is a knee high sock with the foot cut off. Once that week is over then you can start handling him.

When you do handle him you must not show how nervous you are but be calm with very slow movements. I know he has scared you but you must fake it until you feel confident. I would not advise a glove as Diavlo needs to get used to the feel and smell of your skin and you need to get used to the feel of him.

When you go to pick him up handle his substrate a bit, that way you get his smell on your hands. Then no quick movements, just slowly and calmly pick him up...not coming at him from above so he can see you coming. He will strike, but it is something you will just have to put up with until he gets used to you and no longer feels scared. Get him out and let him run through your hands gently, from one hand to the other...only for a max of 5 mins and then return him to viv. Try and do this twice a day. You can slowly build up handling time as he gets more confident and so do you.

You must try and handle him yourself, he is your snake and not your step-mum's. You need to get used to handling him or you will never feel confident enough and he will become her snake.

I am sorry if this comes over as a bit harsh but there are reasons for Diavlo reacting the way he is and all we want is his well-being and for you to enjoy being a corn snake owner.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 09/01/2010 03:42:12
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  07:28:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you everyone for your posts ,i am soo glad to know that she is reacting in a perfectly normal manner. i will try the shelter idea and not give in and run away at the first strike. its just my gut reaction. i let my cat scratch and bite me, why am i so scared of my girl zippy,doh! anyway ill bite the bullet and go for it. thanks again xx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000