Tips needed for good photos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  13:03:15  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
After looking at all the photos being put on here I am amazed by how good most of them are.

Please can you give me some tips on how to get good photos of Alice. He moves so quickly that most of the pics I take are unuseable and I don't want to stress him out by trying to take too many.
What cameras do you all have? I'm using a Fujifilm A150 and i'm finding it hard to get the settings right.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  13:21:03  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just keep taking pictures untill the right one comes along. More oftern than not, it's quick but sometimes he just don't stay still

Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  13:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use quite a fast shutter speed and make sure that the macros are on (with good lighting - essential when using macro) to ensure more accurate colour representation.

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

134 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  13:58:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karen,
My photo's are always very hit or miss! But I have found that photo's taken in natural daylight are much better, otherwise using the flash rebounds off of the snake! I only have a basic digital camera, so I use the "flower" setting for close up/small objects. Medusa rarely stays still long enough for a good shot, so maybe get 1 in 10 half decent shots! Good luck and just keep clicking :-)

Tina and Medusa x

1.0.0 normal corn - Medusa
1.1.0 cats - George and Meg
0.0.0.4 Giant African Snails

Location Cranleigh, Surrey
Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  14:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "flower" setting is your macro, so you should get some good close-ups with that.

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  18:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Macro is AMAZING!!!
Really good for pics!

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

Rik
Hatchling

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  00:52:58  Show Profile  Click to see Rik's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Be patient! All of my pics are off my LG Viewty mobile phone. The OH didnt get the hints I wanted a good camera for Xmas and bought me hours of painfull tattoo's (oh im so hard done too!). Learn the features of what you have got and try them all out. As skorps and others said macro is good (my phone has it) and natural daylight seem to always work well. Most camera's have an activity mode or repeat shot. Speaking for myself and possibly other members we only post the best one's. It also help's if snakie is feeling photogenic and not making a mad dash out to play in the snow. Some times I just give up.

Edited by - Rik on 08/01/2010 00:57:46
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  04:31:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I just keep clicking and hope that out of the many I take I might get one good shot ! Have never mastered macro tho , would love to.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  17:24:38  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use marco for my close-shots of Dimika, and as said before, natural light is the best way to go, but more often than not, I have to stick with artificial x).

0.0.1 Carolina corn - (renamed) Lumos.
2.0.0 Shetlands - Winston & Rupert.
1.3.0 Guinea pigs - Coffee, Nutkin, Rosemary & Thyme.
0.1.0 Yorkshire Terrier - Poppy.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  17:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
put corn on a surface with a bowl or hide over them, let them settle for a bit and then whip the hide of and pap em before they can get away!

i havent tried this yet but its how a lot of the pics on iansviv were taken

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  17:43:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put the snake on a smooth surface so they cant get any grip, they wont move as fast. Dont do this with a timid snake though, it will just freak out.

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  22:46:23  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. I'm going to try some of your tips in a couple of days. We fed Alice this evening so will have to wait to get more pictures. We videoed her eating altho it wasn't as crisp as our vids usually are. Not sure why as I left my son with the camera as I tempted Alice with mousey.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000