lighting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  20:27:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a new snake owner and i'm having some trouble with the humidity.At night we are good but the day light seems to dry up the tank completely. My ? is can i down size the watts. on the day light from 75 to a lower one. My home is heated by wood stove so the houses temp is around 80 plus i have a heat pad under the tank to help on days the stove is not on so i don't think heat will be a prob. My snake is very young shes only around a foot long. someone please help me

snake yes

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  20:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Corns don't need lighting
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  21:11:13  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Corns don't need lighting

Not only do they not need lighting as of such but the also do not need a specific humidity.

Just keep an eye on his/her temps and he/she should be fine.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  21:41:06  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You say you have a heat pad for days the stove is not on. How far under the tank is the pad? It should be on all the time and no more that half way accross the tank so the snake has a warm end and a cool end. Have you read the care sheet on this site? It will help answer your questions!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  22:54:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pad only covers about a 1/4 of the tank. I unpluged it cause the tank was reading about 90 so i thought it was to hot. I read in the book i got that albinos need a non uv light is that right. I really wish petco told me this stuff when i got her! they also told me to feed her 1 day a week and i read that she should eat every 3 to 4 days she is very young i think 6to 10 months whitch is it i really love her and want to do this right she was my xmas gift from my parents.i will read the care sheet thank u

snake yes

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  23:05:17  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Every 3 to 4 days is to much for that age of snake. Should be once a week ish. Have you got a thermostat for the heatmat? You really should get one as this will stop the mat getting to hot, and the snake getting burnt.
Corn snakes do not need any other light than natrual daylight, but having a light is optional, just make sure you have a guard over it again so the snake does not get burnt. But bear in mind this can affet the temps in the viv.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  23:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank u and i did read the care sheet i'm doing some thigs wrong.I will shut the light off and only use the heating pad. The light was drying the tank dry and it was reaching 90 degrees during the day it was scaring me i thought she was going to cook in there. Thank u for ur help

snake yes

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  23:40:45  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Your welcome! Just make sure you get a thermostat! And dont worry about misting the tank or what ever Corns dont need humidity!
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  00:53:03  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by devilsmistress

Your welcome! Just make sure you get a thermostat! And dont worry about misting the tank or what ever Corns dont need humidity!

The only time i would bother to raise the humidity would be if your snake is finding it hard to shed its skin.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  02:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Megan, firstly welcome to the forum. Post a topic in the welcome section so we say hello properly.

Obviously you are in the USA, so the info you will be given may be different to ours. The warmest part of the viv should be roughly 82oF to 84oF (which is 27.8oC to 28.9oC in our language ). The cool end should be 72oF to 75oF (22.2oC to 23.9oC). Make sure you have a digital thermometer in each end so you can monitor the temperatures accurately - this is vitally important, as others have said.

DevilMistress is right about corn snakes not needing humidity. Corns are from a dry, arid environment and are adapted to live there, not somewhere damp. The only time you might add a slight bit of humidity is if they are shedding and are known to have difficult sheds, in which case you can move the water bowl onto the heat mat, put in a moss hide and even mist the viv in the morning if really necessary. Too much humidity increases the risk of repiratory infections, so keep it dry.

Checkout this link, as well as the caresheet - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

Please keep asking questions - no question asked on this forum is a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! Use the search option in top right corner to get information and if you cant find the answer there then ask!! Unfortunately pet shops often give 'questionable' advice , which you have already found. Please check out on here anything you are told just to make sure that what they have said is right.

I hope you got as much info about your snake when you got it....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog poos !

Unwritten forum rule- pics as soon as possible! This link will help...http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

I know you feel you have made mistakes but it isnt your fault, so please dont feel guilty. You were doing what you felt was right. You have now found a place that will support you and give you the advice you need.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 07/01/2010 03:05:04
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000