first time to handle 2day
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

44 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  09:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am so excited my babies have been settled in there viv's for 7 days today!!! It has dragged lol.
I'm just wondering do i lift up there hide and pick them out or wait til come out of hiding? I know how to pick up a snake and im not nerveous. (Never been bit by a snake but im guessing a hampster bite would be worse?) In fact dont answer that!!!

Also when do i feed them?

i had a look on the morph guide gunter is an amel i think and according to the guide id guess 6 months?

Not sure on my hatchling but he/she is now called cornelius!!

All your advise last post was very interesting and helpful, i look forward to some more today

Thanks guys !!

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  09:56:57  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ive never had problems just lifting the hide up and getting mine out, even the JCP

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  10:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can understand your excitement...I bet you have been counting the hours until you could get Gunter and Cornelius out.

It is absolutely fine to lift up their hides to get them out, if you didnt and waited until they were out and about you probably would never get the chance to handle them ! Just let them know you are coming so they are not surprised. A good idea is to fiddle with their substrate so that you get their smell on you...then gently take off their hide and lift them out. Keep it to only 5 minutes to begin with, depending on how stressed they are...just letting them run through your hands. It may be an idea to cover your lap with a towel and have kitchen roll handy in case they decide to give you a 'gift' , which often happens when they are active. You can slowly increase the handling time as they get used to you. Glad you are not nervous, as they can tell that and it will stress them out. Calm and patience is what is needed.

Remember to wash your hands between handling each snake.

I am assuming they are both due a feed. It is probably wise to feed them as soon as possible as they have probably missed a feed during this period. Maybe handle them for a bit this morning and then feed them this afternoon. Are you feeding them inside or outside of their vivs? Just a reminder - no handling for 48 hrs after a feed.

Cant wait to see pics of them both.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

44 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  13:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, i love my babies!!! i got gunter out first, he started off quite quick, moving and exploring up and down my arm. After about a min he was very calm, lovely beautiful snake. A little confused i was told he was 5 months old, when i measured him (very roughly as i didnt want to stress him/her). I got about 22.5 inch long. I thought he would be older than 5 months at that lengh but again im not sure!!

Next was cornelius, a baby i was told even he measured approx 15 inch. He was very calm to, they both tryed to come back out when i put them away!!
only 5 mins each snake
Cornelius is also a stunning snake

If anyone can confirm approx age??

Taken a few pics i shall put them on here asap

I am so pleased with the new new members of the family. Feed time soon!!!

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  15:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Replied on the other thread. Congratulations on a successful first handling!

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  16:01:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
glad the first handle went well
their ages sound about right for their size but all corns vary in size - depends on how often they have been fed as those with a regular feeding pattern will grow at a faster rate than those that arent
look forwards to the piccies

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

44 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  16:24:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aw thanks for that, wasn't sure how big they should have been!!!! first feed soon cant wait! xxx

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  00:01:50  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Had my first propper handling of casper yesterday

I fed her today (love watching her feed, she is so quick striking) so now its another 48n hours before her next handling.

I am keeping notes of when she eats, will also right when she sheds when the day comes around but do you think it would be a good idea to actually weigh the pinky and write that down aswell?
I havn't got any scales at the minute although i will be picking some digital ones up sometime soon so i can weigh casper and keep notes on her size and weight aswell.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  04:56:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Had my first propper handling of casper yesterday

I fed her today (love watching her feed, she is so quick striking) so now its another 48n hours before her next handling.

I am keeping notes of when she eats, will also right when she sheds when the day comes around but do you think it would be a good idea to actually weigh the pinky and write that down aswell?
I havn't got any scales at the minute although i will be picking some digital ones up sometime soon so i can weigh casper and keep notes on her size and weight aswell.

Must admit that I have started weighing my snakes' dinner now (although I am probably taking my note taking a bit far!! ). It is interesting though...Kellog is on one jumbo every 10 days, approx weight 40g...while Silvesta is on 2 mediums every week that add up to approx 40g.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

44 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  10:35:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dannybrown91, its amazing isnt it!!!! i fed both mine yesterday. Cos i have the 2 snakes i am weighing and writing everything down, cos there on different food at the moment!!! turned into a bit of a snake geek!! i have 3 kids as well and although the baby does't know whats happening my little lad 6 and girl 5 are amazed by it all.
Plus it makes things fun lol.

Gunter and Cornelius ate there first feed last night amazing!!!

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  12:36:01  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shelly84

Dannybrown91, its amazing isnt it!!!! i fed both mine yesterday. Cos i have the 2 snakes i am weighing and writing everything down, cos there on different food at the moment!!! turned into a bit of a snake geek!! i have 3 kids as well and although the baby does't know whats happening my little lad 6 and girl 5 are amazed by it all.
Plus it makes things fun lol.

Gunter and Cornelius ate there first feed last night amazing!!!

I actually got to see casper eat the day i got her, i was made up when tuesday finally come around and i could handle her. Got to wait untill friday now before i can handle her again

Casper is currently my only corn snake although i will be getting another one when the shop gets some candycanes in.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

44 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  14:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
going to get my gunter and cornelius out tonight cant wait!!! Bet your glad danny that its friday!!! woo hoo xx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000