Hello All
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  22:25:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just new here, dont have any snakes at the minute but looking to have some in the near future. Can't quite decide on which colour i like. I'm edging towards the anery and ghost....will hopefully get some together when i get housing sorted.
In your experience what size boxes are best for adut corns ? Also how is the best way to heat say 6-8 boxes ?

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  22:29:49  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

BTW i have a ghost and a caramel up for sale

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  22:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome, have a looksy at the caresheet for for info on housing and heating
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  22:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoah, 6-8 boxes! Usually people buy one snake and then the addiction kicks in but it looks like you're ahead of the game Normesby!!

I love my Anery but then also saw lots of gorgeous pics of Carolinas/Normals so yesterday I got one of those too! When I chose Twilight (my Anery) the breeder had lots of different Morphs but his personality really won me over. That's another way to go with making the choice.

As for heating lots of boxes, there's a pic on here somewhere with a row of plastic tubs all sat with their back ends on a heat strip. As long as the setups are all identical and the strip covers no more than half the length of each box, they can be heated by one strip on one thermostat. I'm sure whoever it was will be along soon and can direct you to the link.

Welcome to the forum.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  22:45:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  23:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome
From this point on there is no return addiction will kick in!

The only advice i would give is to take your time and look at all the different morphs there are and try and come to a decision easy said than done!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  23:17:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all and thanks for the welcome.....sorry if i seem as if i'm jumping in-honestly that aint the case. I have had a few pet corns in the past and a royal....but that was a few years ago. Of late i've been browsing here and other forums and the corn morphs have grabbed me. Before any corns are bought i would have things in place.
I have been reading the caresheets on here and on RFUK but just thought i'd ask others ideas too.

Sammysnake....Twighlight is very nice

Thanks again for the welcome.

Edited by - n/a on 03/01/2010 23:19:26
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  23:49:13  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya and welcome to the forum.

I got my first hatchling corn recently, a Ghost called Casper

I have read that for an adult corn you want a vivarium which is atleast 3 foot/ 36 inches long if that helps. Are you buying adult corns or Hatchlings?

They had a few juvenile - adults in the shop thaqt i got my hatchling but thought it would be much better to get a hatchling as i could see it grow and have so much more time with it.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  03:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Normesby! You will find that this is a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus . You obviously have some knowledge of keeping corns as you have had them in the past but will just remind you of a few things, so apologies for telling you stuff you already know, but better told twice than not at all.

You probably know this already and it is very early advise as you are just looking at the moment but....the one-week rule - no handling or feeding for the first week after getting your snake. This gives it time to get over the stress of the move and get used to its new environment. All you should do is change the water daily and straighten the substrate, which means the snake has a chance to get used to your smell. (I know I am telling you stuff you know but as already said, better to be reminded.)

You have obviously already looked at the care-sheet, which has lots of information for new snake owners. You can also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133, although I know you are not a first time owner. It is great news that you know enough to have everything up and running before you brought any corns home, cos that way you can be sure there are no problems in the set-ups before they are introduced to their new homes.

You already have experience but I will still say that no question asked on this forum is a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! Use the search option in top right corner to get information and if you cant find the answer there then ask!! Unfortunately pet shops often give 'questionable' advice as I am sure you have already found , so please check out on here anything you are told just to make sure that what they have said is right.

When you get your snake/snakes you need to get as much info as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary' (for each of them!!), noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog poos !

A bit early but there is an unwritten forum rule- pics as soon as possible! This link will help when the time comes...http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

The usual warning I give is that keeping corns is very addictive ....but think you are already way down that path and you havent even got your snake/snakes yet!!

Kellog is a ghost and stunning (but then I am rather biased!). And I have recently got Silvesta who I think is an anery. Have you discovered http://iansvivarium.com/cornmorphs.php
yet...this does need a warning!!! You go on that site and you will come away with a list of every sort of morph you want. But it is great to see the change from what a hatchling looks like to when it grows into an adult.

Kellog is now an adult and has just moved into the viv he will be in for the rest of his life. I think it is 4ft long. Corns grow up to and just over 5ft, and as a guide length of viv + depth of viv = maximum length of snake...any smaller than that is too small (please correct me if I am wrong!!) Obviously this needs to be taken into account when you get your snake/snakes...as it/they may be around for over 20 years.....

I am really looking forward to getting to know you more and finding out what and how many corns you get and tracking their progress! You will find we are very nosey on this forum !!

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 04/01/2010 03:51:13
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  09:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks once again to all......Kellog i agree with all you say, good advice cannot be given too many times.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  09:38:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Normesby

Thanks once again to all......Kellog i agree with all you say, good advice cannot be given too many times.

Thanks Normesby, was a bit nervous about welcoming you , cos I know you are not really a newbie...glad you agree that it is good to be reminded .

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  16:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey and Welcome
:)
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page