Reptile shops in West Yorkshire
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

117 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  14:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

(sorry if you've already seen this thread on The Reptilian boards)

Just wondering which rep shops you guys could recommend. I'm near Leeds, Bradford, Wakefield and Huddersfield. I have a local pet shop and a rep shop (neither of them are online) but both are very expensive and to be honest I'm not that impressed with either.

Obviously I can find the ones with an online presence which come up on a google search like Paws for Thoughts in Leeds (which I'm going to this afternoon), can any of you give any feedback on them or suggest any others.

1.0.0 Hypo Corn - Syd
0.1.0 Normal Corn - Charley
1.0.0 Amel Corn - Shorty
0.1.0 Golden Retriver - Jinx

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  17:03:31  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
PFT is ok but always seems a little expensive to me (but they have a GORGEOUS Madagascan Ground Boa in )Martin (tall, v short brown hair) is probably the best person to talk to in there IMO

there's T-pets on kirkstall road, used to be Snakes n Adders but the business partneship split, Matt stayed on as T-pets and Chaz took Snakes n Adders to Sheffield

dying Living world in Armley is, erm, well just to say it has a reputation............and it's not great, although i've not been in since last summer but i wasn't at all impressed with their stock or husbandry

a little further afield in York is Leaping Lizards - i'd recommend them although i DID hear a member of their staff advising they could happily house 2 small hatchies together!! but they're generally good and a very impressive newly done-out shop

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

117 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  20:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

PFT is ok but always seems a little expensive to me (but they have a GORGEOUS Madagascan Ground Boa in

OOhh yeah I saw the ground boa, he was lovely. But! not a magnificent as the mahooooosive girl in the viv above him, it was a stunning Lavendar Reticulated Python, a snip at £899. http://www.pawsforthoughtpetcentres.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=145_146&products_id=801

quote:

dying Living world in Armley is, erm, well just to say it has a reputation............and it's not great.

HHmmm yeah I have heard of them and their reputation as the same person/people have a shop in Dewsbury with a similar bad reputation.

quote:

a little further afield in York is Leaping Lizards - i'd recommend them although i DID hear a member of their staff advising they could happily house 2 small hatchies together!! but they're generally good and a very impressive newly done-out shop

I think I may have to have a drive to York.

1.0.0 Hypo Corn - Syd
1.0.0 Amel Corn - Shorty
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  21:23:25  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oooh! i didn't know dying world had ANOTHER shop! scary thought!

and nah, the lav retic in PFT doesn't do it for me, i think she's only about a year old too and she's mahoosive already!

rothwell pets is a nice little shop but the reps section is limited. Danni is lovely and it turns out she bred my CB08 Dumerils!

Leaping Lizards is well worth a trip, sometimes i take my daughter over just to entertain her for a while lol their nocturnal room is open now although it can be a little difficult to spot things sometimes!

Edited by - gingerpony on 02/01/2010 21:24:08
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  21:26:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe going up north IS worth the trip.. our reptile shops down here are.. well.. hovel's if i'm honest!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

117 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  21:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They didn't have any dums but we did look at a couple of other snakes. A beautiful 09 Brazillian Rainbow Boa which we both really liked, in fact Angelina loved him, and I was totally taken by a gorgeous 09 Jungle Carpet Python, oohhh his face was a beauty.

1.0.0 Hypo Corn - Syd
1.0.0 Amel Corn - Shorty
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  21:56:05  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no Dums at PFT? that's cos i bought their last one lol and for a lot less than his original £225 price tag!!
i've never had a really good look at the JCP in there cos they've always just sprayed/misted the viv

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  22:09:17  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Is Leaping Lizards that one we got a special evening opening to?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

117 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  23:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

no Dums at PFT? that's cos i bought their last one lol and for a lot less than his original £225 price tag!!
i've never had a really good look at the JCP in there cos they've always just sprayed/misted the viv

lol @ dum

I was cheeky and asked to see the rainbow because the glass was misty so as we were handling her and talking to the guy, he went and fetched the JCP for me to have a look at because I had never seen one. He (JCP) was a dream to handle so inquisitive and really velvety to touch and his face was very very pretty. They're not a snake I've ever really taken much notice of before.

1.0.0 Hypo Corn - Syd
1.0.0 Amel Corn - Shorty

Edited by - n/a on 02/01/2010 23:54:36
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

117 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  00:04:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going back to rep shops... when we went to PFT today we wanted some new aspen. They were selling small loose bags for £3.99 which (for the size) we thought was really expensive considering we would need at least 4 bags, so nearly £16. However we noticed some huge bales of compressed aspen upstairs with no price tags. I asked the price expecting it to be really expensive but they were only £23 and there's masses!! of aspen in it as it is very tightly compacted. So we have got enough aspen to probably last us a full year for only £7 more than the cost to do one clear out/replenish.

So quite happy with that find. Although I have no idea how much you guys pay for it so no idea if that really is cheap or not?

1.0.0 Hypo Corn - Syd
1.0.0 Amel Corn - Shorty
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  14:12:16  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Is Leaping Lizards that one we got a special evening opening to?

yeah it is hun

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  15:58:03  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yorkshire_Dan

Going back to rep shops... when we went to PFT today we wanted some new aspen. They were selling small loose bags for £3.99 which (for the size) we thought was really expensive considering we would need at least 4 bags, so nearly £16. However we noticed some huge bales of compressed aspen upstairs with no price tags. I asked the price expecting it to be really expensive but they were only £23 and there's masses!! of aspen in it as it is very tightly compacted. So we have got enough aspen to probably last us a full year for only £7 more than the cost to do one clear out/replenish.

So quite happy with that find. Although I have no idea how much you guys pay for it so no idea if that really is cheap or not?

I was paying £18 for one of those, but have moved over to Aubiose now, £9 for 25kg!

www.aubiose.co.uk

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  18:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, id like to recommend creature feature in harrogate: www.thecreaturefeature.co.uk
Only a small shop, but seems quite reasonably priced in there (altho ive not really had much experience with these things) And the guy who owns it really knows his stuff. When i go in there to buy pinkies, etc, he's always asking me how Blaze is, how he's shedding, feeding, weighing, etc. He's genuinly interested in my snake, not a case of "yeah, you bought it off me, so now its your responsibility"

1.1 Cornsnake: Fluffy and Blaze
1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa: Falcor
0.1 Bearded dragon: Chilli
1.1 Cats: Jackson and Mia
1.0 Fiance: Ade :)
Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  19:29:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The creature feature is the shop that gave me Nelson, but I couldn't get everything for a proper hatchie set up from there. All the shops mentioned apart from T pets have told me I can keep hatchies together (don't worry, I don't), and one of the youngsters in Leaping Lizards told me the best substrate for a young beardie is calci-sand because it's good for them to eat the additional calcium. As with any shop, take what they say with a pinch of salt and check with your own research. After all it's their job to sell.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  22:20:49  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hmmm, i know what you mean about the dodgy advice Nazzle, i think it also depends on which member of staff you get - NOT at all good if you're a noob though!

i've been to Creature Feature a few times but prolly not in the last 6 months. seem nice enough and some interesting stuff and DWA species out the back but he wouldn't let me see (despite there being a sign saying 'please ask to see our interesting stuff out the back' lol)
when i was last in they still had some aquatics stuff that was due to be moved out so they could take over the entire shop with reps.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  00:04:13  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

although i DID hear a member of their staff advising they could happily house 2 small hatchies together!!

My mum and sister recently went to a reptile shop in warrington and one of the staff in there said the same thing. It took me a while to pursuade her that infact it is best to house them seperately.
I guess it is probably just preference, or the possibilty of an extra few quid.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  22:39:32  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:

although i DID hear a member of their staff advising they could happily house 2 small hatchies together!!

My mum and sister recently went to a reptile shop in warrington and one of the staff in there said the same thing. It took me a while to pursuade her that infact it is best to house them seperately.
I guess it is probably just preference, or the possibilty of an extra few quid.

i caught this girl (who the staff member had been advising) outside the shop and quietly explained to her the potential probelms and about this site of course
what i forgot to say was to look at what the shop itself does ie. house hatchies individually........so their profits don't eat each other!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000