1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  04:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lyn....that is amazing news and is so encouraging to others that have lost corns.

I am not surprised she is thin and tiny, but it shows how hardy they are that she has survived as long as she has....and with cats in the house.

HannahB is right...just take things really slow and treat her as when you first got her. It is such good news that she has eaten, I bet she is feeling so much better with food in her belly and a warm hide around her!

Your post about finding her really made me smile (and breathe a sigh of relief!)....I am so glad for you. I know you got your other 2 corns, but they never replaced Opal...and now she is home where she belongs!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Williamson
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  07:54:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on finding her!! It really is nice to read a great success story : )

0.1.0 Corn snake - Galaxy
2.1.0 Bearded Dragons - Herb, George & Nala
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  15:35:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys so so much...... and yes kellog it is a nice sigh of relief.. people on facebook also have sighed..lol..

She ate everthing that i offered her yesterday but it was not a lot.. (didnt want to over feed her) when shall i offer her some more?

She is getting back to her usual ways by rattling the end of her tail when im near the tub.. she used to do that before she went missing... her little character i suppose..

But thanks for your advise past present and future!!

Lyn
Go to Top of Page

Jo-And-Danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  16:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome home Opal!!!!!!!!

~The Zoo~
Freddie // Ghost corn
Brittany // Collie cross dog
Billie // BSH Cat
Millie // BSH Cat
Some Tropical Fishiesss

Wish List......
Another doggy
Royal Python (norm or pastel)
More Fishiesss!!
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  02:28:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Midwife2012

......She ate everthing that i offered her yesterday but it was not a lot.. (didnt want to over feed her) when shall i offer her some more?

She is getting back to her usual ways by rattling the end of her tail when im near the tub.. she used to do that before she went missing... her little character i suppose..

What did you feed her before she escaped and what did you feed her on Saturday? That will give us a better idea of what to suggest about when and what to feed her next.

You really do need to leave her for the one-week no handling again, to let her settle down and de-stress....then start handling her just little and often. Hopefully she will settle down soon.

Does she have 2 hides and lots of cover in her tub? The tail rattling may show that she is feeling insecure inside it. How big is it and how big is she? Normal guideline is that you dont want a tub where the length + depth of the tub is longer than the snake. They like enclosed spaces and need to feel safe. Sorry for the questions, just trying to help !

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 15/03/2010 03:16:08
Go to Top of Page

frai
Hatchling

143 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  14:06:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello i just wanted to say im so glad you found your sanke yeah!!!! also it is so nice that everyone on here are willing to help people with all sorts problems and it is for this reson im glad i joined
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  12:55:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kellog
Before she escaped she fed on 2 pinkys. I fed her a 1/4 of a fuzzy.. but then the next day i bought some pinkys and she fed on 1 and drank loads again, 2 days later i fed her another pinky again 2 days later i fed her 2 pinkys and and then 4 days later fed her another 2 and now im back to feeding her 2 pinkys every 5-6 days. She's not shed yet but i suspected she'll shed in a couple of days time.

There are a few rock type things in her starter tank and a small coconut shell with lots of shredded paper in there.. i change her water every day.

She's now growing fast and being handled every other day but she still rattles her tail.. I've spoken to the reptile shop guy and he suggests that when she's the same length as my other 2 i can put her in with them... at the moment her starter tank is sittiing on top of the viv with the heat mat under it.

I'll put pics on here soon of her.. she's a real pretty thing..

Frai.. thanks for your comment.. this forum is so good for help and advice..

Take care x
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  13:11:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Midwife2012

I've spoken to the reptile shop guy and he suggests that when she's the same length as my other 2 i can put her in with them...

i really wouldnt do that..
shes defensive at the minute towards people..if you put her with two other snakes then theres a chance they could fight and one or more of them could subsequently die..
i really would recommend splitting the other two up aswell.. corns are not social animals..they only come together a handful of times during the year to mate so why keep them together.. corns can stress easily and unless there are really obvious signs then its easy to miss them until its too late..

you might want to read this topic..
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  13:29:01  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't put young corns together, only if they are older than a year and they are the same sex.

I'm glad you found her though :3

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  03:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so glad Opal is feeding well and seems to be healthy. The defensiveness is not surprising considering her ordeal, it will just take time and patience.

It may be worthwhile adding a 2nd hide into her tank, so she has somewhere to go in both the warm and cool ends....but other than that it sounds as though you are doing really well with her.

I am afraid I very much agree with HannahB. It is worrying enough that your other 2 are housed together, but to add Opal who is still recovering from what happened to her and is still obviously stressed and defensive, into that environment could be asking for trouble .

Unfortunately you are not there 24hrs a day to stop a problem before it starts and you may not see signs of stress that are already there.

HannahB is right that corns are not social animals and in the wild would only come together to mate....they certainly wouldnt come together to live with each other, so we shouldnt force them to do so in captivity. Obviously this is only my personal opinion, but there is enough evidence here on the forum of people who have done it to know that it is not advisable....even when they are older than a year and definitely the same sex.

I am just so diasappointed (and angry ) that your reptile shop guy would actually recommend this. Please be careful of this sort of advice.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  03:12:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Midwife2012

........She ate everthing that i offered her yesterday but it was not a lot.. (didnt want to over feed her) when shall i offer her some more?....
[quote]

It sounds to me as though she should be returned to her normal feeding schedule. What weight is she? It may be worthwhile checking out this very rough guide to see approx where she should be at feeding wise:

Snake (4 – 15g) = 1 Pinkie (0.5 – 3g) - feed every 5 to 6 days
Snake (16 – 23g) = 2 pinkies (3 – 4g) - feed every 5 to 6 days
Snake (24 – 30g) = small fuzzy (3 – 6g) - feed every 6 to 7 days

The guide for feeding is that the 'dinner's' girth is 1.5 times the size of the widest part of the snake's body girth, no bigger. You can work out if Opal needs to move up in size when there is no longer a bump once she has eaten her 'dinner'.

Dont be tempted to overfeed her or feed her too often at the moment as snakes are opportunistic feeders...in the wild they will never know when or where they are getting their next meal and they are the same in captivity, so given the chance they will overfeed and it is up to us to make sure this doesnt happen, no matter how hungry they may look!

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000