New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tony81
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  16:28:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, just been flicking through the forum as I've recently acquired a corn snake. Just looking out for any help and advice that you guys would be willing to give me, this is the situation:
A friend bought me what I've been told is a Miami Corn snake (I'll post some pics asap), and I know a bit about them through various nature programs, and have been researching as much as I can since I got him. He's in a 16 inch starter kit with heat mat, hides, waterbowl etc. I have the basic understanding of feeding him, keeping the viv clean, temps and obviously I understand the responsibility that goes with owning a snake.
I've read about this '7 day rule' (only today!) and I handled him within 48 hours of him being given to me (which I really hope hasnt stresed him out too much). I'm into the 3rd week of having him and he's already had 2 feeds (1 within the first 7 days!). He's taken both feeds feet-first (backwards) but seems to have digested it ok (i.e - he's pooped). He seems totally fine, relaxed and quite friendly. Basically, all I want to know is, what sort of equipment would you guys recommend for him as he grows (heat lamps, environment, whatever will make him feel most at home for good quality of life)?
By the way his names Steve and he's 15 inches long
Thanks for reading, and have a Happy New Year

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  16:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome

first of all you dont mention if you have a stat or not for your heat mat.. if you dont have one then you need to buy one.. if your mat gets too hot snakey wont like it at all and it could cause various health issues
but if you have one then thats great

look forwards to the pics

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  16:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum Tony. the caresheet will give you an idea of what is needed for your corn
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  16:46:26  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello, and welcome

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  16:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
everything that needs saying has already been said sooo ... hi, welcome to the forum and Happy New Year to you tony81
congratz on getting a new snakie

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix

Edited by - n/a on 31/12/2009 16:53:41
Go to Top of Page

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  17:03:42  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum. A lamp isn't needed if you have a heatmat becasue corn snakes absorb most of their heat through their bellies! a few branches would be nice aswell and make sure you read the care sheet that gmac has provided:)

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  17:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there!

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  18:55:21  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

tony81
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  19:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

hey and welcome

first of all you dont mention if you have a stat or not for your heat mat.. if you dont have one then you need to buy one.. if your mat gets too hot snakey wont like it at all and it could cause various health issues
but if you have one then thats great

look forwards to the pics

No there is no stat yet but i have checked the temp's with a very good digital thermometer 76f at coolend 85f in the hide on the warmside . The mat taped on the underside of the viv..you think this should be ok for now ??? Thanks for your help
Go to Top of Page

tony81
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  20:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lmfastcars

Hello and welcome to the forum. A lamp isn't needed if you have a heatmat becasue corn snakes absorb most of their heat through their bellies! a few branches would be nice aswell and make sure you read the care sheet that gmac has provided:)

Thanks for your advice.. i have been told that he would like a place to bask under a lamp during the day. Is this ok ? or should i not bother ?
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  21:51:50  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

basking lamps are for heavier-bodies snakes such as boas and pythons, corns are most effectively heated using a mat and thermostat. ideally put the mat inside the viv, cover with a thin layer of substrate then place the thermometer and thermostat probes on top of the substrate directly above the mat.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  07:13:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your questions have been answered so I shall just deal with saying 'Hi!!'and will add 'Happy 2010!!!'.

Welcome to the forum Tony (and Steve)!! You will find that this is a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus. You have already done some research so I am not sure what you already know about snakes, I apologies if I am telling you stuff you already know, but better told twice than not at all.

It is a shame you werent told about the one-week rule, but unfortunately it is very rarely advised when people get snakes..so unless they have done good research in the right places beforehand they never know how important it is. It does sound as though Steve hasnt suffered though, which is great news!! In fact it sounds as though he is doing really well !

Gmac has already pointed you in the right direction with the care sheet - lots of information for new snake owners. You can also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

I am so glad you are already asking questions. No question asked on this forum is a silly question.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too ! Use the search option in top right corner to get information and if you cant find the answer there then ask!!

I hope when you got your snake you got as much info as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog poos!

Unwritten forum rule- pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

A warning - Keeping corns is very addictive....most start out with one and those who are lucky move on from there while those who are not so lucky try to contain their jealousy!!

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 01/01/2010 07:14:03
Go to Top of Page

tony81
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  11:26:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Your questions have been answered so I shall just deal with saying 'Hi!!'and will add 'Happy 2010!!!'.

Welcome to the forum Tony (and Steve)!! You will find that this is a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus. You have already done some research so I am not sure what you already know about snakes, I apologies if I am telling you stuff you already know, but better told twice than not at all.

It is a shame you werent told about the one-week rule, but unfortunately it is very rarely advised when people get snakes..so unless they have done good research in the right places beforehand they never know how important it is. It does sound as though Steve hasnt suffered though, which is great news!! In fact it sounds as though he is doing really well !

Gmac has already pointed you in the right direction with the care sheet - lots of information for new snake owners. You can also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

I am so glad you are already asking questions. No question asked on this forum is a silly question.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too ! Use the search option in top right corner to get information and if you cant find the answer there then ask!!

I hope when you got your snake you got as much info as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog poos!

Unwritten forum rule- pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

A warning - Keeping corns is very addictive....most start out with one and those who are lucky move on from there while those who are not so lucky try to contain their jealousy!!

xxx

Thanks for your help and advice kellog Ill move the mat inside asap . He last feed on wednesday nite and hasent pooped yet so not shure if i should disturb yet or leave it till tomorrow ?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  18:37:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and Welcome
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  02:29:11  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Let us know how you get on

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000