Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Lighting?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  09:43:21  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey again, thta reminds me, got to update the pictures of Dimi!

Anyway, I am going to invest in a veiwing light for snakey,but I don't want it to generate much heat as I am still going to have the heat-mat on as it is low-wattage and takes ages to reach the right heat again. What watt bulb would you recommend, and will I need another thermostat to measure the light? I am going to put it on a timer so that I don't have to manually turn it on and off. Any suggestions and what did you do for your lighting?

0.0.1 Carolina corn - (renamed) Lumos.
2.0.0 Shetlands - Winston & Rupert.
1.3.0 Guinea pigs - Coffee, Nutkin, Rosemary & Thyme.
0.1.0 Yorkshire Terrier - Poppy.

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  09:53:09  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Go for an energy saving bulb.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  09:56:01  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok, energy saving suits me, but can you recommend a Watt? I don't want it to become too hot...

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  09:59:14  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
8W maybe, something like that.

Information from www.litebulbs.co.uk

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  16:05:15  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Okay thanks a bunch, that's cleared a lot up for me. However,will the snake be ok with the light AND the heat mat?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  21:17:09  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if it's an energy saver that's emitting light but minimal heat (ie. not actually being used as a heatsource like a ceramic or IR would be) and its either on a timer or switched off manually at night to provide the correct photoperiod, it should be no problem whatsoever

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  21:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I'd gaurd it. I know those energy things are like tubes and snake could get tangled up in them.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  21:48:30  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
good point hillzi, i'm surprised BE didn't mention it already...............he must be slipping

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  08:21:01  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
xD No thats fine, I have a grid for protection already, and thanks guys :) Just got to go out and buy some stuff now. Oh, an be sure to check out the pictures I'm putting up ;)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000