Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  09:38:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stella finally shed yesterday morning after she had been in hiding for over a week.

She seemed fine and was out and about.

I checked her over for any retained shed and there was about 1cm on the end of her tail (same as last time she shed.)

So my missus held some damp kitchen roll for her to crawl through and after a few goes it came off.

The tail underneath was bright red! It looked sore but the shed had all come off.

This morning it looks really bad, about 0.5cm at the end has gone black.

Does anyone know why this has happened? And will the black bit drop off or grow back?

Thanks

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  09:47:04  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've heard about leaving a couple of sheds to build up on the tail can cause the end to drop off. I'm SURE it was completly by accident, it happens with Dimi a lot, I always have to remove it; but from what you've said you did remove it both times? Hmm, can't see why it should have gone black, but from what I know the ends don't grow back... I'd wait for someone a little more experienced ;)

0.0.1 Carolina corn - (renamed) Lumos.
2.0.0 Shetlands - Winston & Rupert.
1.3.0 Guinea pigs - Coffee, Nutkin, Rosemary & Thyme.
0.1.0 Yorkshire Terrier - Poppy.
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  09:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

Well last month was her FIRST shed with me, she was about 5 months old. She didnt appear to have any retained shed when i got her.

After she shed last month i removed about 1cm off the tail and she looked fine.

It was the same story this time, only it looks like its died underneath now.

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  10:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alot of the time it does mean that there is no blood serculation getting to tail
this then means that the end of the tail has had a piece of shed on it for a long time and has stopped the blood flow to that area.
it will probably drop off if it has turned b;ack but if it does you will have to watch it because it may turn septic. i think maybe a vet trip might be needed. i don't know, wat do you guys think.
you might not of noticed a piece of shed on her tail, i think some one else with abit more knowledge will come along and give some proper advice, maybe even the vet pinktoe may come along, ,

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  10:28:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay cheers danny.

If people say its needed then i will take a trip to the vets.

The only thing i can think of is that there was a piece of shed on the tail when i got her, then last month i only removed the one layer. Then yesterday i removed 2 layers and revealed the dead end of the tail?

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  11:23:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone else on here give me some advice at all?

Thanks alot

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  12:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the end of her tail has died and it wont grow back.. it eventually will fall off but you will want to keep a close eye on it as theres a chance it could get infected - might be an idea to keep her on kitchen towel or newspaper for a while so the substrate dust doesnt irritate it or anything..
if you are worried about her then maybe take her to a rep shop or a vets to see what they say

as it was red before it turned black i think its possible that the new skin was peeled off aswell and as a result the exposed tip has died but GP or someone else with better biological knowledge will be able to help you more

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  13:08:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz_1989

Can anyone else on here give me some advice at all?

thank goodness you don't just run with the first bits of 'advice' (used loosely!) you're given!!!

it does sound like the tail tip/shedding issue has been an ongoing one, long enough for the blood circulation to be cut off from the very tip which has now gone necrotic/died (this usually takes months). the necrotic tail tip will probably drop off with her next shed, which might be sooner than usual as snakes shed more frequently when they're healing.
until it actually drops off just continue to monitor her for any soreness or it dropping off before she next sheds.
when she's next in blue its best to add a damp hide, even if it means replacing her usual ones to make sure she uses it, as this shed might be a little more difficult than normal.
if it IS raw dab a bit of Tamodine/Vetadine (which is safe for use in reptiles) on it once or twice daily and use paper/kitchen roll as substrate and keep the enclosure scrupulously clean.
if there's ANY signs of infection at any stage, eg swelling or discharge (other than a little blood or thin bloody fluid) then a trip to the vet for a course of antibiotics is likely.
it won't ever grow back but may become less noticeable with age and certainly shouldn't affect her health.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  13:35:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much for the replies hannah and GP.

I feel really bad for her, its such a shame. Cant believe i didnt see anything happening or any retained shed.

I will put her on kitchen roll tonight to be extra safe and keep a close eye on her.

What can be used for a damp hide? and is this in the hot end?

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  14:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
damp spagnum moss will do.. put it in a tub or something but replace both her normal hides with a mossy one so that she has no choice but to use it - will help her out more that way
dont feel bad - its really not your fault.. it probably started with one of her first sheds and unfortunately it didnt get noticed.. but its really not your fault,

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  14:28:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my corn has a bit of her tail missing (happened before i got her) and it doesnt affect her atall, so when it has eventually fallen off and it all heals etc, Stella shall be fine

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  14:58:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks alot for the reassurance Chrissy.

Is it really noticable? Does it look bad?

As long is she is healthy though, that is the main thing.

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  16:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no worries Gaz
depending on how it heals will depend on how it looks in the end, Tofs' is not that noticeable to be honest, she didn’t loose much, not even a cm I don’t think.
You said that 0.5cm of Stellas’ tail has turned black which is not a lot really, so when its healed it should look rather normal because the tail will still flow in much the same way if you get what I mean lol

Tofs' tail doesn’t look bad at all, it just looks slightly see-through at the tip, which isn’t a problem considering she is white anyway like your Stella lol and its curved slightly at the top due to how it healed over, other than that it just looks like a normal tail, even the vet did not notice it when i took her in for a check up so

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix

Edited by - n/a on 31/12/2009 16:32:43
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  21:25:32  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my OAP/rescue corn has a deformed tail tip but it doesn't bother him, fortunately i got him in time and managed to save the tip but this is how it was when i collected him

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  09:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gaz - by now you know GP and you know to trust everything she says and hers is definitely the advice to follow!

These may help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3654&SearchTerms=moss+hide and http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3699&SearchTerms=moss,hide

You mustnt, in any way, feel responsible for this. Stella is only young and this was only her 2nd shed with you...it is not surprising you didnt notice anything wrong and even if you had the damage was probably already done. I know she is in a great place to get the care she needs to get through this, especially with the help and support of GP.

Stella is still so small and has a lot of growing to do, so even if she does lose this bit of her tail I am sure it will not be too noticeably and you love her anyway...no matter what she looks like, that is obvious!

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 01/01/2010 09:09:05
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  12:52:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

it is not surprising you didnt notice anything wrong and even if you had the damage was probably already done

like Judith said, she'd only had 1 previous shed with you, not the sort of timescale we're talking about for a tail tip to go necrotic, this will have been going on longer than you've had her hun

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  19:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks alot to all who have posted above, Chrissy, Kellog and G.P.

I put her on kitchen roll last night as soon as i got home. She seems fine.

I fed her 2 x Pinkies at 6pm (8 days since her last feed due to her shedding) and she gobbled them both down straight away.

She seems fine in herself so i just hope everything goes okay with the tail when she sheds.

When you say put a damp hide in (damp spagnum moss) do i just soak the moss in warm water so its damp?

Also wont her living in the damp hides cause respiratory problems? Or is this just when they live in damp for long periods?

Thanks again

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  19:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you dampen the moss with water and when it dries out you just redampen it..
you will only put it in once her eyes have cleared up again after being blue and then remove it once she has shed you could put it in from when she first goes blue if you want to

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  12:35:03  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as Hannah said above........leave the damp hide idea till she's in blue again cos you're right, putting in the damp hide now could potentially cause other health issues due to prolonged increased humidity

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  08:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks alot to both Hannah and GP.

Will give the moss a try.

Just to let you know she seems alot better in herself now.

She has fed, emptied and been out and about yesterday. I think the kitchen roll scared her a bit at first as she cant hide like in the aspen.

But she is cool with it now.

Thanks again

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  09:43:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am glad that Stella is a lot better in herself and doing everything she needs to do. I know that when I had to move Kellog onto kitchen roll because of mites it did scare him and he spent a lot of time hiding. Just takes them time to adapt, and they are more hardy and adaptable than we give them credit for...as Stella is showing.

How does her tail look now?

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000