Swimming snakes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  19:23:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we just got our first corn and he's settling in very well. We heard that you can put corns in water and they swim. we're keen to try this if it is possible. but what temp and depth water is advised and how long should the snake be in there for

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  19:47:42  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the water should be the equivilent tempreture of the hot end and should be checked with a thermometer. As for the depth and length of time, im affraid you'll have to wait for the more expeirenced keepers.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  19:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The above is right for the temp, I would get it between 25-27*C. Dont have the water any deeper than the thickness of the snake.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  20:16:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
for a hatchie it's easier to use the sink, for an adult its the bath BUT............

DO check the temps with a thermometer, 27-30*C is great, and

DO block off taps, overflow, anywhere the snake migt wriggle into and get lost, and

DON'T leave it unattended

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  20:17:38  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
and i would add that i'd personally not bath a snake unless it had a specific problem eg. a bad shed, or constipation

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  20:32:59  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

and i would add that i'd personally not bath a snake unless it had a specific problem eg. a bad shed, or constipation

me too. In all the time I've had snakes, I've only ever tried it once and he didn't like it one bit which led me to the conclusion that snakey putting all his energy into trying to escape the bath of water = stressed snakey, so I've never had the need to since

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  22:31:39  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ive only very bathed my JCP when i was worried he was abit blocked up

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2009 :  04:25:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with the above...have only bathed Kellog when he had mites or when he was overdue a poo.

Am not sure whether corns would choose to swim in the wild??

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2009 :  07:46:12  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
they'd probably not choose to but would probably have a go if it meant getting where they wanted to be lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  11:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. we put him in the water and after some really violent swimming he pooped. i think he liked it though.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  12:31:58  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the really violent swimming is him being panicky and trying to get out ;)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory

Edited by - eeji on 30/12/2009 12:32:43
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  14:45:46  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeusie

Thanks guys. we put him in the water and after some really violent swimming he pooped. i think he liked it though.

Hahah the poo is nasty aint it

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

24 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  17:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bath Luna my snow regularly otherwise she doesn't poop, she seems to enjoy it and has a good swim around :) she even swims underwater sometimes lol!
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  10:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeusie

Zeusie, I definitely agree with Eeji...the really violent swimming was him being stressed and not liking being in the water. Would only advise that you bath him when it is totally necessary....like when he has gone too long without pooing and needs encouraging. Other than than avoid it.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000