New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  11:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya,

I recently bought a Microclimate 100 heat mat thermostat for the heat mat that is under my cornsnake.

It was set to turn off at 30 degrees C, and was dropping to about 24 degrees before turning on again.

I spoke to the manufactor and they said it was not set right. The shop where I bought it have replaced it with another.

The new one is switching off at 29.2 C. (the heat then continues to rise to 30.4C).

The temp then drops to 24.5C before the stat turns itself back on again.

Is this too much of a drop???

Thanks for any advice.

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  13:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shouldn't affect corny IMO. In their natural environment wont be 30* 100% 24/7.

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  15:35:17  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
where do you have the stat probe bigpig?

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  18:49:16  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thats how mat stats work. If you want a more constant temperature you would need a pulse stat

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  21:45:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

thats how mat stats work. If you want a more constant temperature you would need a pulse stat

Very true. A pulse stat is far more reliable. I have both and in future will only purchase pulse stats.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2009 :  13:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the stat probe set right beside the thermometer probe, on the floor of the container.
I am going to try it placed directly on the heat mat to see if I can get less of a drop before it turns on again???
I am going to get a pulse stat next chance I get.
I would like to get this on/off stat sussed out and working as well as possible though.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2009 :  22:13:04  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
eeji's rigt in thats how on/off stats work but that does seem to be quite a temperature range!
the aqualine on/off i run one of my vivs off only has a 1*C tolerance either side of what its set at although this is remarkably accurate for a stat of it's type.
yours appears to have a 3*C tolerance either side so i'd personally have it set a little higher so it switches off at say 32-33*C and kicks back in again at 26-27*C. that should be fine for a corn with no expense of a pulse needed!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  02:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put the stat probe on the mat and the thermometer probe in the viv, then use the thermometer to adjust the temps, but my on / off stat is as bad range wise.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  16:51:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had my mat stat in the viv for approx a week and it is exactly the same, I'm sat here watching it today and it goes up to about 84f when the stat is on and then it goes off and drops to about 74f, and then back through the cycle again and again. I'm now going to set it a little bit higher but it will still do the same I guess.
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  18:47:59  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i had all the same problems and was unhappy with how much it flucuated so changed to a pulse stat

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000