New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2009 :  22:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a christmas present! Just sat here+heard loads of rustling+i looked in his viv+he's slithering around everywhere mid-shed!
im a tad worried though because its coming off in flakes...where as his first shed was perfect+his 2nd was perfect except 2" at bottom of the tail that i got off!
Gonna go to bed now+leave him in peace...but im confused as to why his sheds are different now, when his temps+humidity are the same as when he moved in?? Any ideas?

1.1 Cornsnake: Fluffy and Blaze
1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa: Falcor
0.1 Bearded dragon: Chilli
1.1 Cats: Jackson and Mia
1.0 Fiance: Ade :)

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  12:43:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he's not really much different than he was last night. Ive followed al the advice ive read on here+gave him a tiny bath at the right temp+then let him run through damp, lukewarm kitchen roll....really hope this helps! So worried about him :(

Go to Top of Page

Flatpack63
Hatchling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  12:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he's having trouble shedding, next time he's due, try putting an extra water bowl in with him, near the heat mat, to get the humidity up a bit, or put a hide in with some damp moss in to see if that helps.

Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  12:56:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flatpack63

If he's having trouble shedding, next time he's due, try putting an extra water bowl in with him, near the heat mat, to get the humidity up a bit, or put a hide in with some damp moss in to see if that helps.

im defo gonna buy some spagnum moss stuff next time, but have put his water bowl at the warm end, its been there for the last 3 days! i just dont understand why he's struggling this time :'(

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  14:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some do it fine. some have troubles. I get full sheds of blaze, he did once while I was cleaning out in bare chippings.

He's only small so it wont be a big deal getting retained shed. Your'e doing the bathing right and as Flat Tyre says, put a moss hide and big waterbowl in warm end to increase humidity slightly when he's in blue. Just dont overdo the bathing, it can cause RI's which aren't pretty or cheap or stress-free to sort out

Bath him for about 5 mins for as many days as it takes to get retained off, when he comes out the bath let him crawl through a damp/dry towel. not a sopping wet towel ring it out and then leave a dry bit for him too.

Best of luck.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  22:21:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

If he's having trouble shedding, sphagnum moss in his hides could help him.

For now, just check to see he has shed completely, no retained eye caps or other pieces of shed stuck to him. You can always give him another bath if he needs it.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2009 :  21:40:16  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i agree with hawkeye, damp hides are probably the least stressful option for your snake as it migt resolcve the patchy shed itself in a day or two. swap the usual hides for damp ones so the snake HAS to use them, then put the usual hides back in after a few days, if the patchy shed has been resolved that's great, if not then the few days in the damp hides will have prepared him for a good bath.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000