Stat & Heat Mat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  21:07:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone, I've now got my thermostat set up in my viv, along with a new heat mat, and also a digital thermometer, however, things are not going to plan!!
I've currently got the stat set at 86 (started it off at 76), and it only needs to come on at night because I am still using a bulb during the day. The problem is, the stat kicks in at about 9.30pm and when I check in the morning the digital thermometer has dropped to about 70, I don't think it is a case of setting the stat higher, but more a case of the heat mat not being strong enough to warm the viv to the required temp?
I've currently got the stat and thermometer probes elasticated together and they are about an inch above the heat mat. Is it possible to have the heat mat upside down?(I'm sure I haven't) Either way should be fine anyway I think?
Has anyone got any ideas?
I am not overly concerned with the temp being 70 through the night because he has always been used to a nightly drop, but I want to know what the problem could be so that I can increase it if need be.
(sorry for the long story )

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  21:20:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should only have to use either the mat or the bulb, not both. Dont look at the dial on the stat, the values will be wrong. Change the dial on the stat according to the thermometer. The probe of the thermometer should be in direct contact with the mat and there should only be a very lin layer of substrate over it.

Even if the mat was upside down, it wouldnt make a differance.

Edit - Are you running both the bulb and the mat off the same stat?

Edited by - matty18714 on 23/12/2009 21:21:30
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2009 :  10:25:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only the mat is running off the stat. I've got the bulb on a timer which comes on during the day, and the stat/mat then kicks in when the bulb goes off at night.
I've kept faith with the bulb because it's what he's been used to during the past 6 years, but because the temp was dropping too low at night (new viv) I put the heat mat in and control it now with the stat.
I'll lower the probes so that they are directly on the heat mat.

Stupid question here - the stat cannot make the heat mat go any warmer than it would go without the stat can it? It just turns the mat on/off depending on the temp in the viv..
Go to Top of Page

Chimp276
Yearling

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2009 :  11:12:18  Show Profile  Click to see Chimp276's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The lamp should definetly be on a stat, if not it could be making the viv too hot! I would recommend just using a mat as they are much more efficient, do not have to be replaced regularly if ever and can be kept on 24/7! And yeah the probes should be measuring the temps of the substrate as corn snakes absorb their heat through their bellies!

No the stat can't, the stat is used to keep the mat cool as they can get incredibly hot if left on their own!!

0.1.0 Hypo Stripe - Aero
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos - Marley and Lemon

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2009 :  21:44:48  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the easy option is just to ditch the bulb, it's really not neccessary and is basically causing a problem with your temps/set-up.

with just the mat on all day adn the stat and therm probes on top of the substrate above the mat, set the stat to what the therm reads NOT to the dial.

just having the mat will mean your temps are more stable and the viv won't get too hot...

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2009 :  02:18:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
but is it possible that a mat and stat is not hot enough to keep the viv hot enough through the day and nigtht? and if he's always been used to a bulb wouldn't it be more harmful to now take away the bulb?? :(
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2009 :  14:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he'll get used to it fine - one of my snakes was on a light but when i got him he was changed onto a mat and hes doing just fine..he had a light for 4years...

one of them will heat the viv just fine so theres really no need for both

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2009 :  22:24:21  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Prudence

but is it possible that a mat and stat is not hot enough to keep the viv hot enough through the day and nigtht? and if he's always been used to a bulb wouldn't it be more harmful to now take away the bulb?? :(

providing there's not too much substrate over the mat the heating will be fine regardless of the time of day - that's the beauty of running one heatsource off a stat

and no, removing the bulb will make very little difference to him but if it's a light emitting bulb you might want to use the fixing for a low-energy bulb instead so thet YOU don't miss out...

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000