New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  13:24:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi...

I have an adult female corn snake that i have had for about 5 years.. over the years other corns have been introduced to the viv and she has been fine, but today when i introduced a younger male (which has been done before with no problems) she reacted very badly, butting the glass to try and get out. I have now seperated them but she still seemes stressed out.. is there anything i can do for her and will she be ok?? Would appreciate any help with this guys and thanks for your time xx

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  13:32:38  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
is she looking out trying to see whats going on?? mite be worth draping a towel over viv so she cant see anything to try an calm her down

ohh an welcome xxx

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  13:33:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks very much.. ill try that now :) xx
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  13:36:04  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
was she ok before

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  13:43:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Split them up, there is no reason for snakes to be kept together unless you are breeding them. She may be stressing out because the male is trying to mate with her.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  13:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she was fine before we put the new male in. Once he was in there she started butting the glass as if to escape.. then she was acting really stressed.. i was worried because she has never reacted like this before and there have been quite a few in and out of the viv over the years and she has been fine... thanks again for your time... xx
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  13:48:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks matty...i havre seperated them now... was just worried beacause she dosnt seemed to have calmed down even tho they are now seperate xx
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  15:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she might take a while to calm down - a completely new male snake had just been put in her viv with all new smells and everything..it probably has stressed her out a lot
maybe its her way of saying she doesnt want company in her viv

hey and welcome btw

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  16:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Micky1

thanks matty...i havre seperated them now... was just worried beacause she dosnt seemed to have calmed down even tho they are now seperate xx

Possibly she can still sense his smell in her viv and so still feels threatened. How about trying a full clean for the viv, just to get rid of any residual scents that are still bothering her?

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  16:32:31  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  18:08:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all and thanks for all of your advice... i know where i'll be comin next time i need some more... so, no doubt u'll be hearing from me very soon lol. ... she has calmed down now so fingers crossed she'll be k.... xxxx
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  19:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Good to hear that, Micky1. Any idea what eventually calmed her down?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  21:51:41  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

you don't have to have a problem to stay!! lol

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  03:29:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Micky1! As you have already found out, this is a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus. So, as GingerPony said, you dont have to have a problem to stay.

Am so relieved that you have separated them and that your female has now calmed down. She obviously just needed time to de-stress (she is a female, she is allowed to make a fuss ) and reassure herself that her viv was not being taken over again! Am assuming you had a set-up available to move the male into? You have obviously had a number of corns over time. Look forward to learning more about you and also having some of your experience added to the 'library' of knowledge available here on the forum!!

No matter how long people have had snakes there is always more to learn, so remember that no question asked on this forum is a silly question.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too!

No-one has mentioned the unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible!

Once again, I am so happy she has settled down again now...it must have been such a worry for you, which was obvious is your first post. It shows you are one of us - a corn snake lover who wants only the best for his snakes! So welcome to the 'Club'!

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 23/12/2009 03:31:02
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000