feeding after shedding?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

47 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  13:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well my corn shed the other day but was due her feed last monday which would have been 10 days since her last feed!
but i offered her her mouse yesterday after she shed, as she wasnt interester in feeding on the monday as she was shedding!

its now been 17 days since she last fed, i know she shed not long ago, but is this normal, as im a little bit worried

clare

n/a
deleted

47 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  13:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I offered her a mouse yesterday, but this time i left it in there and covered the tank up so it was dark for her, but she still didnt touch it

clare

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  14:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
corns can go months without eating so 17 days isnt very long
if she doesnt eat it this time leave it until her next feeding date and see if she will feed then

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

47 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  14:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ohhhh fantastic, ive been soooo worried, you just put my mind at ease now, thank you

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  15:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats ok, i know how worrying it can be when they dont eat but they are a lot hardier than we give them credit for

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  05:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with HannahB. When we first got Kellog he didnt feed and that went on for 13 weeks! With the help of this forum I learnt that he had gone into a mating phase and wouldnt eat while he was feeling horny...so just had to wait him out. They also kept me sane during that period!!

It is a lot less worrying when they are adults cos they have that extra weight and can go a long time without needing food. Just keep to her normal feeding schedule, offer the mouse, if she doesnt take it then leave it in overnight and remove it in the morning if it is still there. Repeat again until she feeds. Hopefully this will just be a one off. Do you weigh her? It is worthwhile monitoring their weight because if it does continue and there is a noticeable weight drop then there might be a problem.

This link will help if the problem continues - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3720

But remember, it is one feed she has missed so nothing to worry about (a lot easier said than done I know), just give her time.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 22/12/2009 05:31:27
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

47 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  14:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
last time i weighed and measured her she was 4ft 2and half inches, and i popped it on here and i do believe she is over weigh anyway, so im hoping this is a 1 off and helps get her weight down that lil bit lol
but im gonna keep check on her weight now, just incase

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  16:28:52  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Also as its winter season they do tend to go off there food

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  22:31:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
keep monitoring her weight every few weeks so you notice if she's losing any
is your viv lit or does she just get normal daylight hours through a window? the shorter days and drop in ambient temperature are triggers for starting brumation which involves not eating over the whole winter....

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

47 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  23:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she goes by natural light through window, ill keep an eye on her weight, im sooo glad i asked, all the info is good to know, its put my mind at ease loads

cheers all

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  00:25:49  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
mine just have normal 'daylight hours' too.
though it might be worth either leaving a light on for a few hours (when it's got dark) in the same room as the viv, on a timer would be ideal, to try and con her into thinking the days are longer. or adding a light (again, on a timer is much easier) to her viv for the same effect, only has to be a low wattage energy-saving bulb or any type of bulb that's low wattage and emits minimal heat.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000