New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  08:56:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stella fed on friday night, 2 x Pinkies. She gulped them down in about 5 mins and was looking for more after :-)

I weighed her last night and she was 19g.

She moved into her new home last night (exo terra lg flat faun).

I installed a digital thermometer into the cold end (never bothered in the small faun as i didnt think there would be much difference).

The cold end is reading 18c. Hot end is thermostatted to 30c.

I know the cold end is a little cold but its room temp and cant do much about it, my house is quite big and old and hard to get warm in winter.

I will get photos up later today. Shes got a hide in each end, a big piece of bogwood in the middle and the water bowl is under the wood.

She seems really happy and was out and about exploring within the hour.

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  09:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Gaz-

You really need to get another digital thermometer into the hot end, the stats arent very accurate and temps can vary by 4-5 degrees.

With regards to the cool end, Iv'e been lucky enough to never really have an issue with it, but I think some people on here use small mats set to the correct temp to stop the poor snake from frrrrreezing in the winter!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  10:28:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
iv got a super old house with big high ceilings and crappy heating so i know how frustrating it is when the cold ends get too cold..
i put a blanket around the vivs so that the heat gets retained inside which i have found to help a fair amount
apart from getting an extra thermometer like sb has suggested sounds like shes got a nice new faun
look forwards to the pics

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  10:56:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for replys.

I thought about this when i got the digital thermometer. So while she was still in her old faun i put the new digital thermometer probe next to the thermostat probe and i got the same reading (give or take about 0.5c difference).

The stat is digital and seems to be pretty accurate (well its as accurate as the digital thermometer) as my test above proved.

With this in mind do i still need a digital thermometer in the hot end?

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  10:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Edited by - Gaz_1989 on 21/12/2009 10:59:56
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  11:26:18  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the cold end is what it is if she wants to be warmer she can go to the warm end, although i have a didg thermometorin cold end i dont do anything to control it at all

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  13:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats what i thought, that if the cold end was TOO cold, then she could move a little bit nearer the warm end? There is alot of substrate in the cold end so she can burrow and doesnt HAVE to use the hide if its a little cold for her.

Do i still need a digital thermometer in the hot end? Even though ive got a digital stat which i have proven to be as accurate as the digital thermometers?

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  15:02:55  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yeah better to have on in warm end than cold if you only got one

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  15:12:20  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
a33272 nice carpet in your sig, although it's taking up my full monitor any chance of making it smaller please? It does abide by the signature rules... but being portrait rather than landscape it takes a fair amount of room up on the screen. Thanks!

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  03:25:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a lovely set up you have for Stella, you are doing a great job with her.

quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

iv got a super old house with big high ceilings and crappy heating so i know how frustrating it is when the cold ends get too cold..
i put a blanket around the vivs so that the heat gets retained inside which i have found to help a fair amount

When you cover your vivs HannahB do you cover the vents too? Assume that is where most of the heat is lost but also assume you shouldnt cover them?? Asking for same reasons, worry about cold end during night.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  08:35:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was watching Stella last night, and she doesnt actually seem to use the cold hide completely, she puts her tail in the cold hide and then just hides under the substrate mid-tank.

Im assuming she knows its a little bit too cold so she just goes where she feels comfortable, but she seems really healthy and happy so i dont think she minds :-)

Thanks to all

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  11:12:04  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lewy

a33272 nice carpet in your sig, although it's taking up my full monitor any chance of making it smaller please? It does abide by the signature rules... but being portrait rather than landscape it takes a fair amount of room up on the screen. Thanks!

done

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  15:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Looks like a lovely set up you have for Stella, you are doing a great job with her.

quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

When you cover your vivs HannahB do you cover the vents too? Assume that is where most of the heat is lost but also assume you shouldnt cover them?? Asking for same reasons, worry about cold end during night.

xxx

mine are in the large fauns which have the ventilation bits all in the lids and down the sides.. i leave about 2inches of the lids uncovered in the cool ends just so theres still some air circulation but most of it gets covered up so not too much heat is lost

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000