Help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sara3502
Hatchling

111 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  17:22:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pet store told my parents to get a live pinkie to feed my snake but I do not know what to do. he said the hatchlings will not eat frozen ones. is it ok to feed it that?

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  17:30:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nooo dont do that your not allowed to do that in the uk its illegal

Go to Top of Page

Sara3502
Hatchling

111 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  17:33:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok well I live in the U.S. and so it is not illegal here.what do u still think?
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  17:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sara, I expect you'll get a LOT of replied on this one shortly. I'm not very experienced but I have read other threads on this forum disucssing this in great detail. Firstly, my understanding is that if you are in the UK then it is illegal to feed your snake with food which is still alive if you do not have a VERY good reason for doing so. I think you would need to prove that you are not doing it for entertainment so would need a good medical reason for why your snake cannot eat defrosted ones which have been killed humanely.

Did the pet shop sell you this snake? If so then they should have sold an inexperienced owner a non-feeder.

Also, the last thing you want is to get a hatchling to eat only living food as when it goes up in size from a pinkie the prey gets stronger and stronger and can badly attack and even kill a snake in its frenzy to escape. There have been some really graphic photos posted on here of what can happen to a snake which is attacked by a mouse.

If you already own this snake, I would suggest you ensure you read the caresheet thoroughly, give the snake a week to settle in without handling or feeding it and then begin offering a defrosted pinkie. There are loads of different ways to encourage a reluctant feeder to eat and loads of people on here who will talk you through it. Please however, don't go and buy live prey for your hatchling.

To all you experienced guys - I hope what I've said is correct although I know it's not comprehensive. I'll leave you to fill in all the rest.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  17:36:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well what the shop keeper says they is a load off bull lol cos how whould we have them in the uk just try and feed it and see what happens if that dont work get some tips on how to

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  17:36:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops, sorry, I posted after Ivan.reho

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  17:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sammysnake

Oops, sorry, I posted after Ivan.reho

lol nps

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  19:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It isn't illegal to feed live in the UK. To be taken to court, it would have to be proved that you were causing unnecessary suffering to the feeder animal. Read this over on the darkside, if you want a link then let me know.

To the OP if you do not feel comfortable feeding live you can get frozen mice for you snakes, you would need to find a reputable supplier. There are plenty of herp forums for Americans, they might have links to reputable suppliers of frozen mice.
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  19:06:20  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have you tried braining the pinky then feeding it ?

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  19:17:42  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ivan.reho

No its not.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  19:19:34  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sara3502

The pet store told my parents to get a live pinkie to feed my snake but I do not know what to do. he said the hatchlings will not eat frozen ones. is it ok to feed it that?

If you have to start with live, then try fresh-killed, if it takes a f/k then each feed leave it slightly longer between the killing and offering to the snake. Eventually you'll be able to substitute a f/k for a frozen/thawed.

Good luck.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  19:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alicat

It isn't illegal to feed live in the UK. To be taken to court, it would have to be proved that you were causing unnecessary suffering to the feeder animal. Read this over on the darkside, if you want a link then let me know.

To the OP if you do not feel comfortable feeding live you can get frozen mice for you snakes, you would need to find a reputable supplier. There are plenty of herp forums for Americans, they might have links to reputable suppliers of frozen mice.

ohh right kwl kwl i got told at reptile shop it was

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  21:46:37  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ivan.reho

having live-fed..........and living in the UK.........that's complete and utter cr@p..............

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  21:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok ok chill i was not the only pearson saying that lol

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2009 :  13:30:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, sorry I got the wrong end of the stick too. Is it just live feeding for entertainment that's illegal then? Wasn't there a long heated post about this a short time ago when someone wanted to live feed just to see what it looked like?

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2009 :  13:47:56  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
anyway, as for the question try to use a defrosted pinkie heated up to bout 35-40C if that doesnt work BE's advice is sound

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2009 :  13:58:53  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, sorry I got the wrong end of the stick too. Is it just live feeding for entertainment that's illegal then? Wasn't there a long heated post about this a short time ago when someone wanted to live feed just to see what it looked like?

Yes, live feeding just because someone wants to see it is illegal, it's then classed as entertainment.

Look at the same way as dog fights, If dogs have a scrap in the park, that's just dogs fighting, but when dog fighting is organised for viewing purposes only, then it's illegal.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2009 :  14:40:07  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:

Yes, live feeding just because someone wants to see it is illegal, it's then classed as entertainment.

Look at the same way as dog fights, If dogs have a scrap in the park, that's just dogs fighting, but when dog fighting is organised for viewing purposes only, then it's illegal.

Agree with that , As long as you dont make a video of the live feeding you should be ok with it

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  04:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How old is your hatchling Sara and how long have you had it? Do you know what it was fed on before you bought it?

I know that here we certainly tend to buy frozen pinkies/mice and then defrost them, warm them slightly and then feed them to our snakes. It certainly seems to be the easiest and safest way to do it.

Have you tried checking out US corn snake sites and seeing what they say about feeding? I think you definitely need more advice about this as soon as possible and obviously we dont know the set-up in the US. We will try to help as much as we can but can only go on our experiences here in the UK.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  05:18:06  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:

Agree with that , As long as you dont make a video of the live feeding you should be ok with it

Even if you don't make a video of it, it's still in that grey area.

What live feeding boils down to is why?
If it's to make sure a snake doesn't die, that's ok, under expert and/or vet supervision.

If it's just to see it, then that is classed as entertainment, therefore illegal.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000