corns eyes just went milky.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2009 :  21:20:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I'm about to experience my first shed! My ocketees eyes went milky today and I was wondering how much longer until it sheds? Should I skip his feeding today or give it a go?

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2009 :  21:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would give it a go i always feed mine even if there in shedding they always take it but i heard when they shed and you try and feed them they might not eat but they do for me ummm sheeding takes about a week i never really keep a eye on how long it takes lol

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  03:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest all snakes are different regarding their temperament and feeding habits during shedding period.

I personally dont handle or feed Kellog from the point he goes blue to when he sheds. I try to put myself in his position... When they shed their skin must be feeling tight and they are virtually blind. It means handling them will scare them as they are feeling very vulnerable. The tight skin is also the reason I dont feed...I liken it to wearing my tightest pair of jeans and then eating a 5 course meal - seriously uncomfortable! As far as I am concerned it is worth waiting a few days to feed rather than maybe stressing the snake out.

Will be blue for a few days then that will clear up, almost as though it has shed with no sign of shed. Can then take from 3 days up to a week to shed properly. Worth moving the water bowl to the warm side to up the humidity, which helps assist the shedding process. You could also put in a moss hide or mist the viv a tiny bit in the morning, but I would wait and see how this first shed goes to see what sort of shedder your snake is.

Once it has shed 'the shed skin is fragile but can be handled. when it first comes off it's damp but then dries out. sometimes it's just inside out but sometimes it'll be rolled up like a condom. try to make sure you check that the occular scales (eyecaps) have come off with the shed skin, and the tail tip, as these areas are sometimes left stuck to the snake causing problems.' (sorry, couldnt help putting in this quote from GP!!)

Hope the shed goes well...and that you get to see it! Have camera near viv cos its fast when it happens!

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 19/12/2009 03:36:20
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000