scared snake?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  22:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive had my snake since august 18month old am happy with pickin him or her up but sometimes it trys to go straight in the hide and when i put it back in the viv he goes straight back in the hide, is he still scared/weary of me? he normally chills outside the hide and eats and sheds fine so its not under pressure or anything,

PLUS! would a dog smell like food???

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  22:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, its probably scared of you. A snake will never "like" its owner.

The snake probably wouldnt show a feeding response to a dog, but they should never be in contact anyway.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  22:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

One of mine still does that, and I've had him as long as you've had yours. Another one of mine, which I've had for less time, comes straight over when the opportunity to come out presents itself. All seem to me like normal snake behaviour, just that different snakes have different responses.

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  23:01:52  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'd agree with Matty, just to elaborate. I'll be presumtuous and state that when he quotes "like" it's more a matter of association than like or dislike. All undometicated animals act by instinct and some by association as well. The perfect example would be my Gerbils, if I cup my hand in front of them they think I am giving them a treat, if I try to pick them up from above they think it's a predator. I know from handling that when they start trying to burrow through my hand they want to be put back in their home. So with your snakey it's initial response to you is probably to hide as it hasn't associated you with anything good yet. August though! That seems a long time.

As for the dog, defo agree with Matty, the snakey would probably perceive the dog as a predator. And the dog with probably see the snake as a possible food source or more than likey soome sort of toy. Take my sisters dog for instance, a Miniature Pincher, originally bred to hunt and capture rodents, my old dear unknowingly lifted her up because she was fscainted with my Gerbils and she went to bite them as they came closer to the bars. I daresay she would do the same with my Elijah if she had the chance.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  23:06:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the dog is never around the snake its just that i was wondering about the scent thats all
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  02:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cant really answer your queries about your snake except to wonder how long you are handling it for, how often and how? Maybe it is being handled for too long, too often, not enough or something is happening while it is being handled that is unsettling it. How is he when you do have him out and are handling him?

I can only speak from personal experience with regard to my dog and snake, and it doesnt follow what Matty and Gaz have said. Both have been introduced in a carefully and controlled way. Dog ignored snake and snake should interest in dog, but more because of new smells...tongue flicking madly. Now dog generally ignores snake and vice versa. Usually keep dog out of room when I handle snake but there have been occasions when the dog has been lying asleep against sofa while I was sat on sofa with Kellog...and Kellog has slidden down off the sofa and over the dog (with me keeping a very close eye on the situation). I know a lot of dogs and snakes may not react so positively...Kellog is an adult snake and Woody is an old dog. So certainly care must be taken and the personality of the dog and snake taken into account.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  05:24:57  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ich_will

the dog is never around the snake its just that i was wondering about the scent thats all

A corn snake should not think the dog is food.

But still use normal handling precautions though.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000